Henry 45-70 jammed closed

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MacDonald

Henry 45-70 jammed closed

Post by MacDonald »

On 06/17/2017 I purchased a Henry 45-70 lever gun. Three days later, as I was cycling rounds through it, the gun jammed closed. :(

I am returning it to Henry - I know they have great customer service - but I am concerned: In researching the internet I find that this is not an unknown problem with lever actions. If this were to happen while I was hunting dangerous game, I would be hating life! Are there other lever fans that deal with this problem? Is it a regular thing??
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
AlanM

Re: Henry 45-70 jammed closed

Post by AlanM »

Is it in full battery? With a live round?
If so, what is the legality and procedure for shipping a loaded firearm?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

AlanM wrote:Is it in full battery? With a live round?
If so, what is the legality and procedure for shipping a loaded firearm?
Fire it first?
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

You cannot ship a loaded firearm. Shippers for the most part will not accept ammo in the same container as the firearm (airlines are different)...it may be a DOT regulation.
If the rifle is un-loaded, no problem. If a fired case is stuck, contact the company , some will not even accept fired brass in the same box.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Yep, it's jammed...but there is an easy fix...shoot it. Sounds to me like you chambered a round with an OAL much longer than a lever gun will cycle. I think anything much longer than 2.550" OAL will jam up the action ie. won't extract. I know this because I chambered a round in my Marlin and had to tote it around loaded until I could get somewhere to safely fire it.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Been awhile since I revisited this thread. No, there was no round in it, and Henry fixed it, no questions asked. I am, however, wondering if other lever guys/gals can enlighten me on what to do if this happens again. I do not want to have to send it off every time this happens, and if it happens with a make that does not have lifetime warranty - I am screwed.

...eh...I guess youtube is my friend...
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I'd hope that it doesn't happen again, since Henry would have fixed any mis-sized chamber or other issue.

I'd measure all your ammo from that batch before using it, to see if anything was also oversized.

It's either a mis-sized chamber or mis-sized ammo, most likely.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

MacDonald wrote:Been awhile since I revisited this thread. No, there was no round in it, and Henry fixed it, no questions asked. I am, however, wondering if other lever guys/gals can enlighten me on what to do if this happens again. I do not want to have to send it off every time this happens, and if it happens with a make that does not have lifetime warranty - I am screwed.

...eh...I guess youtube is my friend...
I'm a big fan of lever guns, but have never run into this on any of the lever guns I've owned. So, I'd be interesting in reading about what you find out.

Also, when you say that there was no live round in the chamber, do you mean that was because you were able to discharge the round or because it locked closed without a round chambered?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

I don’t know about the Henry action but when I bought a Marlin some years ago I was surprised how simple and few parts there was in the receiver, I always take new guns apart to clean up the machining.
From what I seen it would be difficult to lock up my Marlin but if it did I could unlock it.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
Cybercop

Post by Cybercop »

Ok, I'll take a crack at this.

I'm gathering that you got a live round stuck under the shell lifter. This happens more than you can imagine, but there is an easy fix. This normally happens when someone leaves the action open when loading, but dropping rounds strait down can do the same thing if the rims are a bit undersized. The only way to get them out is have someone hold the rifle muzzle down, and with a "Soft" leather faced mallet strike the muzzle. Inertia should jar it loose, it may take more than one attempt.

When loading if your unsure of the rim size of the lot and/or brand hold the rifle at about 30 degrees when loading, this will take a bit of the energy out of the round when it strikes the shell stops.

Also FYI Leverloution ammunition will *not* work in Henry 45-70 rifles, they need to stand fairly strait up to the the tube past them (Found that out the hard way.)

HTH Jim
"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale (decedent of Nathan Hale)
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I'm having a hard time visualizing that procedure.
Hold the gun muzzle down and strike the muzzle.
Which way?
Are you saying to strike the end of the barrel with the mallet in line with the bore or 90° to it?

BTW I would think a hard rubber mallet would be less likely to cause any damage.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

AlanM wrote:I'm having a hard time visualizing that procedure.
As am I. :?:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.