Tried AIWB

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Tried AIWB

Post by Morne »

So the P320C in .45 acp i bought recently came with a AIWB holster. Took it out back to ring the steel gongs and figured I would try out the holster, too. I have a lot less "appendix" than I used to have so why not, right?

It's weird. I'm used to a 3:30-4:00 O'clock OWB holster.

It makes it hard to bend over when picking up brass. The way it moved the butt of the gun I was afraid it would let the gun fall out (it didn't).

I didn't even try to sit down.

Maybe if I started pulling my pants halfway up my chest like the old man in the movie "Up" it would work better for me. I don't know. Meanwhile, I can say that I tried it and really don't favor it.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Brian D.

Re: Tried AIWB

Post by Brian D. »

Before Allen comes along and takes eight paragraphs to tell you a couple things, allow me:

1) Vast difference in design among AIWB holsters; comfort is critical mass carrying up front, much more so than around the dial to one's hip.

2) Appendix ain't for everybody; a Kahr, Shield, or Glock single stack is about the biggest I can go up front all day with, regardless of the rig.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

I tried it for a bit as well last year with a Sig P938. Since I still have a fair amount of "appendix covering material", I found it to be uncomfortable.

I really didn't evaluate it from a speed perspective, only from a access and comfort factor. About the only place it seemed to make access easier was my vehicle - but I have practiced for my 3:30 position enough that it did not make enough difference for me.

Maybe if I can get some major shrinking going on - I may try again. Until then, I am staying with strong side hip.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote:Before Allen comes along and takes eight paragraphs to tell you a couple things, allow me:
:lol:

I resemble that statement! :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

Yeah, I tried it too. I'll put it in not so pc terms... I'm short and fat. Was uncomfy for me. I really don't know if I've got enough waist for it. Some people are long between their belt line and legs, I'm not
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

With AIWB, a 1/4" can make or break it. Having a belt too tight can demolish it. Pants will have to go up an inch or two vertical, and belt loops can prevent a sweet spot from being found. I go with pull the dot loops for that reason - I can stradle a loop if needed.

It is more beneficial to those with less stomach - it's easier if chest DIA is a bit larger than waist DIA - good reason to hit the weights.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

If I start lifting weights again, I'll wrinkle the clothes hanging on my squat rack!
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ :lol: :lol: - Laughing *_with_* you, not at you. :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
BadCrosshairDay

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

I like it, but in a tshirt the end of the grip always prints for me, almost no matter how small the gun is. I would need comically disproportionate dimensions for a tshirt not to do that.

Apart from that, to me it conceals better, draws faster, and stays more out of the way for any bent over or sitting task. Also more comfortable in crowded areas, for whatever reason. I still prefer strong side hip or behind hip, especially in heavier clothing.
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

And the partial beaver tail that this Sig has doesn't help, at least with me.
BadCrosshairDay

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

concreteguy wrote:And the partial beaver tail that this Sig has doesn't help, at least with me.
I left the backstrap off the glock for that reason.

2:00 is my favorite place to carry the ruger lcp ii, come to think of it. That's one that doesn't print much on me, and I think it prints even less at 2 than pocket carry. Same with any other pocket pistol I tried.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

It doesn't work for all people. Body type has a lot to do with that. My P320C with the Compact small grip is carried that way,
but I'll be the first to admit that swapping one of my two subcompact grip modules sometimes makes it easier.

Generally have the holster @ ~ 11 o'clock on my belt,so perhaps not "true" appendix carry. (Southpaw)
But still able to access & draw better IMO.

My chest is still larger than my belly, but both are too large. :|
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Biggest difference I noticed came from wearing my pants a bit higher. No problems with a P226.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

jeep45238 wrote:Biggest difference I noticed came from wearing my pants a bit higher. No problems with a P226.
See - I thought about trying that. But I was deathly afraid of looking like an old man... :lol: 8)
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Going up an inch isn't going to make you look like an old man, unless your pants are too short anyway and there's a big air gap at the bottom. Give ti a try - and if it works and you need longer pants, well, now you know.

-Important distinction