Tried AIWB

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Tried AIWB

Post by Mr. Glock »

Maybe I need that big "air gap" at the bottom? (Sorry, just a softball I can't resist)
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I'm a fan of AIWB because I find it much faster and easier to retain my gun in that position, even against skilled takers like Elifritz. That having been said, holster and belt are absolutely essential. I can AIWB carry a full size M&P or a Glock 19, but anything longer than those is a problem.
HKJ

Post by HKJ »

Yes, holsters can make a huge difference. I tried a bladetech klipit the other day with a glock 19. Wore it for about 10 hours, really comfy. It is super thin. When not wearing this an archangel is realy comfy also.
Brian D. wrote:Before Allen comes along and takes eight paragraphs to tell you a couple things, allow me:

1) Vast difference in design among AIWB holsters; comfort is critical mass carrying up front, much more so than around the dial to one's hip.

2) Appendix ain't for everybody; a Kahr, Shield, or Glock single stack is about the biggest I can go up front all day with, regardless of the rig.
John McCreery
http://www.Ohioppt.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Suarez International Staff Instructor
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Of-interest, the Primary & Secondary closed FB group had a running topic yesterday about belts and AIWB, as a follow-up to PHLster's post. If you're not in the group, but have FB, let me know. PHLster's post, however, can be publicly seen.

The current thinking is that belts that offer too much radial stiffness may actually be counterproductive in this setup: that, instead, a better belt for AIWB carry - which typically requires a little flexibility/movement of the holstered weapon as the wearer moves through his/her everyday motions and postures - would be one that's more supple/conforming radially, but offers sufficient vertical stiffness (to prevent the holstered gun from "rolling").

Examples - The Wilderness 5- (or even 3-) Stitch, Volund Gearworks ATLAS and ATLAS Slim, even more traditional "floppy" rigger's-belts fit this description.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

I am 5'11" and 230lbs and AIWB is my favorite carry. I usually use Remora holsters to carry my Glock 23 and 27 but it works the best with my Shield. I have a hard time carrying on the hip but when I do its with a CBST or the Glock holster.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
natchezz

Post by natchezz »

BadCrosshairDay wrote:I like it, but in a tshirt the end of the grip always prints for me, almost no matter how small the gun is. I would need comically disproportionate dimensions for a tshirt not to do that.
Sounds like you need an AIWB holster made with a "butt tuck" adaptor. Here are a couple examples:

One of the first to come up with a grip hide solution (BTA).
https://dalefrickeholsters.com/index.ph ... dix-carry/

This has an optional adaptor that also pushes on the belt to tuck the grip into your side.
http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybig ... -full-kit/
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ I definitely need the hook/claw or similar, for AIWB.
BadCrosshairDay

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

Any thoughts on mid or full or no guard on a holster for aiwb?
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Me? No - I believe this to be a matter of personal preference more than anything else. :)
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I prefer full, if it wraps the rear sight.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction