Ammo ID needed for 9mm

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

buckeyered

Ammo ID needed for 9mm

Post by buckeyered »

The second ammo I cant remember anything about is, any suggestions?
"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." Emiliano Zapata
AlanM

Re: Ammo ID needed for 9mm

Post by AlanM »

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
buckeyered

Post by buckeyered »

Thanks, that told me everything I needed.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I had some similar stuff back in the late 80's. IIRC it had hard primers and would not reliably ignite in my Glock. Sounds like whatever you are using is working out OK though.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
buckeyered

Post by buckeyered »

glocksmith wrote:I had some similar stuff back in the late 80's. IIRC it had hard primers and would not reliably ignite in my Glock. Sounds like whatever you are using is working out OK though.
I bought a couple of thousand rounds of it back in the 80's and stopped shooting it but couldn't remember why but now that you mention it I do believe your right about the hard primers. I was thinking it was corrosive as well but another thread says it is not. Time to take it out again and see how it does.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Someone locked your other thread with nearly the same name as this one without actually reading them to see that the photos were different and the ammo is from two different continents.
AlanM
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
buckeyered

Post by buckeyered »

AlanM wrote:Someone locked your other thread with nearly the same name as this one without actually reading them to see that the photos were different and the ammo is from two different continents.
It was locked but with that ammo I was more curious if it was corrosive or not. I don't think it is but I just want to see if anyone knew for sure.
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

buckeyered wrote:
AlanM wrote:Someone locked your other thread with nearly the same name as this one without actually reading them to see that the photos were different and the ammo is from two different continents.
It was locked but with that ammo I was more curious if it was corrosive or not. I don't think it is but I just want to see if anyone knew for sure.
Just unlocked the other thread. Thanks Alan for pointing out my mistake.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

buckeyered wrote:
glocksmith wrote:I had some similar stuff back in the late 80's. IIRC it had hard primers and would not reliably ignite in my Glock. Sounds like whatever you are using is working out OK though.
I bought a couple of thousand rounds of it back in the 80's and stopped shooting it but couldn't remember why but now that you mention it I do believe your right about the hard primers. I was thinking it was corrosive as well but another thread says it is not. Time to take it out again and see how it does.
IIRC it was Lapua ca. early 1950's. I assume those hard primers were intended for their Suomi open-bolt subguns. IIRC it was non-corrosive - which was uncommon for milsurp stuff of that vintage - and it caused a bit of a stir when large quantities showed up on the market in the late 1980's. Everyone was buying it for their autopistols and wondering why they were having so much trouble shooting it.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
buckeyered

Post by buckeyered »

Can hard primers damage a firing pin? I hate letting the ammo sit any longer.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

buckeyered wrote:Can hard primers damage a firing pin? I hate letting the ammo sit any longer.
I COULD be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time) but I don't think "hard primers" are physically harder per se, but rather are harder (more difficult) to get to detonate.

EDIT:
Since ability to edit can time out I haven't read all of this article but just found it an want to add it to this post.
http://www.stevespages.com/primermyths.html
One of the most persistent myths in shooting is that there are hard primers and soft primers. That isn't true. The real issue is primer sensitivity or - more frequently - something within the gun or loading process that causes the gun to go click when it shoulda' gone bang.
EDIT #2:
And yet when I Google "hard primer ammo for machine guns" I get quite a few hits.
AlanM
buckeyered

Post by buckeyered »

Thanks
AlanM wrote:
buckeyered wrote:Can hard primers damage a firing pin? I hate letting the ammo sit any longer.
I COULD be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time) but I don't think "hard primers" are physically harder per se, but rather are harder (more difficult) to get to detonate.

EDIT:
Since ability to edit can time out I haven't read all of this article but just found it an want to add it to this post.
http://www.stevespages.com/primermyths.html
One of the most persistent myths in shooting is that there are hard primers and soft primers. That isn't true. The real issue is primer sensitivity or - more frequently - something within the gun or loading process that causes the gun to go click when it shoulda' gone bang.
EDIT #2:
And yet when I Google "hard primer ammo for machine guns" I get quite a few hits.