Forwarded canted iwb/aiwb holster

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BadCrosshairDay

Forwarded canted iwb/aiwb holster

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

I'm looking for a new glock 19 holster for aiwb. My alien gear does a good job of keeping a forward cant when carried iwb, but I haven't found a good aiwb holster to do the same.

Any suggestions?

Specifically, the problem I am having is that the gun sags until the grip is resting on my belt, instead of pushed up against me. This position causes a big print at the mag baseplate. Forward cant eliminates that issue, but most my holsters won't stay that way.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Forwarded canted iwb/aiwb holster

Post by TSiWRX »

Look for holsters that have the "claw" option, and/or a "wedge."

For a look at "wedging" setups, the The Keeper from Keepers Concealment is prototypical of the breed:

^ Image stolen from the Internet. Not mine.

The wedge goes up against your body, and it helps leverage the muzzle away from the body, in-turn pushing the grip in towards the shooter's belly.

The Raven Concealment Systems (RCS) "claw" (http://www.shopdiyholster.com/rcs-vg-claw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) instead attaches below the trigger-guard to leverage the grip of the gun closer to the shooter's body, accomplishing this by exerting that push against the overlying belt.

^ Images stolen from the Internet. Not mine.

That's the RCS Eidolon, above, which also has a wedge-shape molded into its muzzle end ( http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=15407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), however, many holster-makers and holster-build parts suppliers (such as the one I cited above) offer either the RCS Claw, or a variant of it, to accomplish just this.

While setting up a holster to give a forward cant is far from impossible (particularly if you have a holster that allows for hardware mounting to begin with - but even without expressed capabilities, you can jury-rig most holsters to adjust the presentation angle, to a degree), you'll want to experiment with this before spending the money to commit. The reason is because if you make a "finger gun" and stick it down in the front of your pants at typical appendix/inguinal carry positioning, you'll see that putting a butt-forward cant on the gun - with the butt even further towards the 12 or even now towards the 11-o'clock - will require that you severely cock/bend your wrist to establish that dominant grip as you pull the gun from the holster (and if the mounting solution is stiff enough to resist your draw stroke, you may even have to pull the gun with it slanted across your body, until you're clear of the holster). This then becomes self-defeating versus some of the known advantages of appendix/inguinal carry - speed, combative capability, and ease-of-access when seated.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
BadCrosshairDay

Thanks for the info, as always! (on all my gear questions so far)

I tried the experiment and turns out, I do twist the holster back toward vertical when drawing from a forward cant.

I'll try a holster with a wedge, or figure out a way to attach one to my klipt for a test. I think that all it needs for this to conceal properly is bringing the end of the grip/baseplate half an inch closer, so it seems like a wedge would do.

Thanks again!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

BadCrosshairDay wrote:Thanks for the info, as always! (on all my gear questions so far)
No thanks needed! :) I love gear. :P
I'll try a holster with a wedge, or figure out a way to attach one to my klipt for a test. I think that all it needs for this to conceal properly is bringing the end of the grip/baseplate half an inch closer, so it seems like a wedge would do.
This old article by Limatunes may serve up some inspiration for you:

https://limatunesrangediaries.wordpress ... ster-hack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ That stems from her original article below:

https://limatunesrangediaries.wordpress ... irst-aiwb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stackable ("adjustable") medical heel-lift orthodics like this one - https://www.amazon.com/Orthopedic-Heel- ... 6BBGPX6TSY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - can help fine-tune the offset you may need in terms of getting the balance between comfort and "tuck against your body" for the grip.
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

Harry's Holster. https://www.harrysholsters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BadCrosshairDay

Still working on this - the straight holster even with an added wedge prints hard, especially when walking. I think the grip is just too long for that dimension on me. Canting the holster conceals acceptably, but prevents me from bending over. Having it far enough to the side where bending over isn't an issue pushes the plastic into my hip.

I'll keep experimenting with ride heights, positions and cant angles until I find one that works. Until then I'd only carry this way when having the glock in front is more important than not printing at all, or theres a second layer.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ That's the spirit! Keep trying! :)
BadCrosshairDay

Tried a T.Rex Arms Raptor - it has a claw, but printed more than any other holster I've tried so far for any handgun, by no small margin. It prints a compact pistol on me like I'm carrying a 44 magnum revolver. It is the first holster I've found that prints not only at the baseplate, but also at the rear sight/back of slide. Might try the Eidolon next.

One thing I did learn from this is that I prefer holsters that have the gun's center of mass below the clip. So far, the Blade Tech Klipt with my least rigid gun belt has worked best for me for the glock 19 aiwb. It still needs a cover garment, but I'll accept that. If I do want to conceal a glock 19 with just a tshirt, the alien gear and similar hybrid holsters work. I might just need to use a slightly smaller gun for tshirt aiwb carry.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Look at Jm Custom Kydex - the TRex/boxcart stuff is crap. The JM Custom Universal uses a spring metal clip that has a tooth that goes under the belt, thus fully locking it in. It's cant is adjustable, but has no definate 'spot', as the back of the clip has velcro and so does the holster body. THis allows you to loosen the screw, break the velcro bond, place it where you want it, and tighten the screw again. Bonus points that it works decently well as IWB or AIWB. I also use a JM Custom 'George' with pull the dot straps, and really like it.

I use the universal for a HK P2000, and the George for a Sig P226. Obviously the P2000 carries better as it's physically smaller, but the P226 carries quite well if I'm running the 15 round mags that sit flush with the grip.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction