Shipping pistol for modification

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

XDSC9G30

Shipping pistol for modification

Post by XDSC9G30 »

I am sure this has been gone over time and time again. I haven't been able to find an exact answer for my questions, even searching 30+pages on here.

I plan on shipping a pistol frame for modification to a reputable company. This has caused me a few questions.

How do I package the frame? Do I need to buy the box at UPS to ensure it meets their guidelines for crush weight etc?
Since it seems every UPS hub posts, is it legal for me to take the frame into the store to ship?
I know I need to ship overnight via UPS policy, does anyone know how much this costs?
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Shipping pistol for modification

Post by scottb »

Shipping overnight can be expensive - it depends a lot on how far you are shipping it.
All of your questions can be answered at the UPS web site. https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resou ... earms.html

I have used FedEx myself and it was not a big deal at all.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
XDSC9G30

Post by XDSC9G30 »

I have read all of that. Maybe I am missing where it outlines the law, where to purchase boxes etc.

I have purchased boxes at Meijer before and was told they arent adequate for insurance. I also dont want to carry a frame into a UPS simply because who knows what theyd say/do.

I also questioned legality since the building is posted I believe. Which makes it illegal to take the frame in typically. Seems like a grey area that I am sure im over thinking.
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

I had to ship a handgun back to S&W. I purchased a box from FedEx in advance that fit the pistol case. I everything all boxed up when walked in and declared it. I can't imagine it could be a problem if you have a frame (not at all readily tuned into a functional gun) that is boxed when you go in. Call or stop into your UPS drop off place and ask how they typically like to handle it. I would at least put it in a soft case. I am sure that others here have more experience with this than I.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

By far, the best method for a regular Joe to ship a handgun to a manufacturer is to beg & plead for a prepaid label.

For you to send to a place for work, YOUR best method is to find an FFL that you know & trust with good rates to handle it for you-- this is because an FFL can ship via Priority Mail, which is super low in cost. Here in Columbus, I use Gun Envy and I send anyone/everyone that I know there. They'll do outbound to any US state for $35 and they handle packaging and shipping.

UPS and or FedEx is freakishly expensive. It is my understanding that those carriers "require" next day air shipment... but the law doesn't. I take that to mean that it isn't illegal for you to ship it via ground service, call it "machined metal parts" as long as you are sending to an FFL, however if it gets lost or damaged, the carrier will not pay out if/when they find out that it was a firearm.

FFL and Postal Priority is the best method... if you can't get the manufacturer to issue you a prepaid label.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

In seeing some of the other comments...

I'll never be convInced of any good reason to ever tell -ANY- counter jockey anywhere that there is a firearm or gun-related parts. Follow the LAWS, and let the carrier worry about their own silly and self-imposed restrictions that aren't based in actual law. There are far too many morons that hear the word "firearm" and react the way a dog hears "squirrel."
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Sevens wrote:In seeing some of the other comments...

I'll never be convInced of any good reason to ever tell -ANY- counter jockey anywhere that there is a firearm or gun-related parts. Follow the LAWS, and let the carrier worry about their own silly and self-imposed restrictions that aren't based in actual law. There are far too many morons that hear the word "firearm" and react the way a dog hears "squirrel."
From the ATF's guidance on shipping firearms:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-non ... ct-carrier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition,
From 18 U.S.C. 922(e)
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;
There's your good reason - to follow Federal law, you must notify the carrier - apparently, in writing (which I did not know until now...).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

To persons -OTHER- than all those listed.

I am a million miles from a lawyer and legal mumbo jumbo confuses me just like the next guy, but that seems to read that I must notify the carrier if I am sending a firearm to a recipient that is NOT listed... if I ship to someone who isn't a dealer.

Help?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm not a lawyer either, but I read it a little differently (and, apparently, so does the ATF, based on their guidance). I read it as there being two prohibitions in that section:

It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;

and

It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;

I could be wrong, but since the ATF's guidance on shipping firearms is pretty unambiguous and since they get to enforce that part of the US code, I wouldn't want to be the person to have to fight them in court.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

Ask whoever you are shipping it to. They do it all the time.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

One big question: does the frame contain the serial number or is the number on the receiver? That could make a big difference as to whether you are shipping a handgun or just a machined part. In any case, you are shipping just a frame, not a whole, functioning firearm.

Just points to ponder.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
XDSC9G30

Post by XDSC9G30 »

Javelin Man wrote:One big question: does the frame contain the serial number or is the number on the receiver? That could make a big difference as to whether you are shipping a handgun or just a machined part. In any case, you are shipping just a frame, not a whole, functioning firearm.

Just points to ponder.
When I asked the company I am shipping it to they said I do not need to notify the shipper which I feel is counter to the ATF stance. That is what caused me to seek help here.

The frame contains the serial #(it is a Glock). I will not be sending the slide etc with it, only the complete frame.

I guess I can stop into the store and see how they would like me to handle it too.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

There honestly aren't many handguns where the frame isn't the serial numbered part which the BATFE officially considers the firearm. One odd example is the Ruger Mark I-II-III-IV pistol where the barrel/receiver is the serial numbered part and the grip frame is of no consequence. The Glock may be the pistol in question here and it is also an interesting example as Glock stamps matching SN on the frame and slide and on the barrel as well but I assure you, you may freely buy and sell barrels and slides anywhere in the USA but you better believe that buying a frame across state lines without an FFL is a federal crime.

Not sure what you mean when you say "store" but I'd bet my wallet that counter jockeys at every shipping company (or worse, contracted retail outlet like a UPS Store or Kinko's FedEx) couldn't tell their butt from a hole in the ground and is nowhere to go for legal advice. Especially with -GASP- a gun, oh the humanity.

Have an FFL ship it and the concern goes away.
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

According to 18 U.S.C. § 921 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 18. Crimes and Criminal Procedure § 921. Definitions
 The term “firearm” means ...  (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon...
http://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-18-cr ... t-921.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IANAL
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

XDSC9G30 wrote:When I asked the company I am shipping it to they said I do not need to notify the shipper which I feel is counter to the ATF stance.
XDSC9G30: I, too, had a gunsmith tell me to simply wrap it up, put it in a sturdy box and FedEx/UPS it to them and not notify the shipper. (Frankly, it makes me question my choice of gunsmith.)