Opinions wanted on Winchester M22 22lr ammo

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

Opinions wanted on Winchester M22 22lr ammo

Post by AlanM »

The last two Tuesdays ( the day, each week, that I leave the house to do my weekly foraging and gathering) I've stopped at my local WalMart and found Winchester M22 22lr 1000 rd boxes for $50. and change. With tax a box came to ~$53.50.

That's just over a nickle a round and the best price I've found for quite some time.

What this is is a box with two boxes of 500 rounds of loose (bulk) 22lr cartridges inside.

I did a Google search and found that a few years ago some people were not happy at all with this ammunition but more recent posts/comments seem to indicate it's pretty good.

Anyone got anything to say about this ammo one way or the other?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Opinions wanted on Winchester M22 22lr ammo

Post by techmike »

I have several boxes in my stash from several years ago. It ran just fine in my Colt .22M4.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Since I don't do much competition shooting with .22 LR anymore, all I care about is reliable ignition, and good cycling in the semiautomatics that comprise some of my guns in this caliber.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I can't really comment to its accuracy - I am also not that kind of shooter, currently.

It is more than good enough to take quick snap-shots on a quarter-scale IPSC's head, though, at 50 yards.

Feeds and functions extremely well through my semi-auto .22LR firearms (stock Ruger 22/45, Ruger 10/22 with Green Mountain bull barrel and factory action, stock Browning Buckmark Plus, and S&W 15-22 with Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor).

There was a recall a few years back (http://www.winchester.com/library/news/ ... ecall.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), but it's pretty peachy otherwise. My buddy LegoGlock turned me on to the stuff, and I pretty much hoard it, now. :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

I have used it and it works okay.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Well, right now I've got 2000 rounds of it. It's advertised to be have a MV of 1225 fps so it should cycle my pistols.

I'll try it out in my two Browning pistols just for giggles, but really I'm looking of enough of one brand to re-qualify distinguished expert with my CZ-452 bolt rifle.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

What you have read and heard seems to be my experience also. Around the time of the recall, I had some and it was the WORST rimfire that I'd ever experienced in three decades and that says a lot if anyone is familiar with bulk Remington ammo from the late 1980's, it was worse than that. And the stuff I had did not make the lot number range of recall but WOW, it should have. Even found one piece of empty, primed brass in a box. Sure, at first I figured an ejected case landed in the bulk box but nope-- empty, clean, no hit on the case head and priming compound on the inside. Total junk, no value at any price.

Since the panic has subsided and production seems to be somewhat closer to normal/rational, quality has come back up. A little over 5cts per round is a fantastic price and I would also buy it.

With all that said, if one of the reasons you seek rimfire ammo is to use in a fine rifle such as a CZ for the purpose of attaining a specific qualification goal, I'd suggest that you are penny wise and pound foolish to use junk bulk rimfire at the lowest possible price point for that application. For real work where every shot matters, skip a couple trips to McDonald's and use the proper fodder for such a nice rifle and some shooting that matters. That project is worth the upgrade.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

I bought 2 boxes of 500 just before the recall as well. I checked the boxes and mine were not recalled.

Worst .22 I've ever used. All other .22 I've used works fine with my GSG 1911-22 and Marlin 795 but this still has a huge failure rate of various types.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
BuckJM53

Post by BuckJM53 »

I've shot about 1,000 rounds of it in the past year and still have 3,000 more on the shelf. While not my favorite (prefer CCI mini mags and Federal Champion), it seems to have decent accuracy and cycles my Ruger MKIII512 and GSG 1911-22 without any significant issue.
"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

Deleted.
HancockCountyHaL