9mm revolver RFI - for fun

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jeep45238

9mm revolver RFI - for fun

Post by jeep45238 »

I've heard and seen reports of bullets jumping under recoil, and the debate of .38 vs. 9x19, LCR vs. S&W J frames. But really, outside of moonclips and crimp, I don't know a damn thing about decent revolvers chambered in 9mm.

I'd like to hear what people prefer, K/L/N frame, Ruger GP/SP series if you find them, and/or something that I don't know about (hint - don't know a damn thing in 9mm revolvers). Not looking explicitly for pure competition or carry duty, but for general purpose, reliable, revolver mentions. Just looking for a way to add a revolver without adding a caliber since I'm reducing down to 9mm and 22LR, since it simplifies life and I can load a stupid amount of 9mm for a reasonable price, and have it dialed in for a particular firearm without much effort. I've got the carbine and semi covered - and did enjoy my brief bit with a DA S&W revolver- but I know I'm missing out on a lot more here.

So - drop a knowledge bomb on a younger guy who wants to learn more about revolvers from his peers who came before him, without the logistics expense beyond moonclips.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
someguy

Re: 9mm revolver RFI - for fun

Post by someguy »

You are in the exact position I was not too long ago. I'm too cheap for the more expensive calibers and want to keep it simple 9mm and 22. As a result I even ended up with matching (kinda) ruger lcrs', one in 22lr 8 shot and one in 9mm with a 5 round cylinder. On the other end of size and price I picked up a smith and Wesson performance center 929 8 round 9mm revolver with a 6&1/2" barrel.
Would I recommend either or both? Absolutely!! Very different sizes and uses for them of course. One potentially important thing to note is the use and or necessity of moon clip usage. The ruger lcr works with or without moon clips but doesn't eject effectively without them. The smith works only with moon clips. One reason this is important for carry in particular is for reloads on your person. Loaded moon clips in your pocket aren't as comfortable as a speed strip that holds more rounds. If you carry a loaded moon clip in the same pocket with a phone you may just scratch the dickens out of the screen, ask me how I know :(
someguy

Post by someguy »

Oh yeah I've not experienced crimp jump with either gun.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

I have a Taurus 905 snubby in 9x19mm. Fun little gun.

If I were buying a 9mm revolver today I would absolutely go with the Ruger LCR. I own an LCR in .38 Special and really like it. Get the XS big dot front night sight...and then learn how to shoot correctly with it!

I haven't seen crimp jump in my 9mm revolver but then again I haven't been looking for it, either. I have seen it happen in a .45 ACP revolver, though.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Seems to me that crimp jump is possible with any revolver, especially if the ammo is snappy, relative to the weight of the gun. A person who reloads could throw a skosh of extra crimp on factory rounds to alleviate such concerns. I've done so with some 9mm jhp defensive rounds intended for my LCR. No pressure signs observed. Didn't change velocities any either.

Never had a bullet jump forward in many years of revolver shooting, best I know. Have observed it some, always in the hands of users who were known for carelessness regarding their home brewed ammunition.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Now, a confession: It took me until that previous post to figure out what RFI stood for.

********************************************************************************
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Brian D. wrote:Now, a confession: It took me until that previous post to figure out what RFI stood for.
As a ham I think of that acronym as being for "Radio Frequency Interference".
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Request for information - apparently the weeks prior/after military stuff my lingo switches. I told people today I was going to pop smoke (leave) and got some VERY confused looks.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Old west term for moving on was "throw the key in the well bucket and ride out". The failed ranchers/ farmers would also nail a "GTT" sign on the front door: Gone To Texas.

Enough non-sequitors, sorry. Wanted to add there are belt carriers out there for moon clips. Or a belt slide cartridge carrier with multiple individual loops can suffice. A six loop made for .38 special holds three 9mm moon clips, leather works better than nylon though.

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Crimp jump is real and it always ends the string of shooting and often ends that gun's shooting day and it is FAR too easy to simply blame it on someone's "substandard handloads", although that can certainly be in play as always, and that isn't limited to revolvers. It makes sense if the handloading angle is involved in the discussion that 9mm cartridges are designed to TAPER CRIMP at the load bench and this is different than revolver rounds and you need to approach the potential issue with that in mind. Lee makes a very specific (FCD) die that will impart a very non-standard extra crimp to a 9mm round... most folks don't believe this is the best answer.

Crimp jump happens when recoil is heavier AND when bullets are heavier.

Though I dabble in seemingless endless oddball stuff, in and fully around handloading, I have actually not ever had the pleasure to load for a 9mm revolver. In the world of S&W, the K-frame Model 547 was a complete DOG in sales and was never meant for the American market anyway. Produced only for 3-4 years and roughly 12,000 units, they could barely give these away until someone began to spread word that they were "collectible!" and now you simply cannot buy one for under $800 and if you want nice with original box and papers, $1200 is likely.

That's the K-frame one... the J-frames are more prevalent and the "PC" 9-shot huge target toy for $1100 or so is easier to find.

I have always been deeply perplexed, and I mean REALLY, at this thing I see and hear so often about "streamlining", "dumping calibers" and all of those endeavors related to it. I certainly won't even attempt to think or act for someone else, but honestly... you absolutely CAN own a handgun in one odd caliber... keep maybe two boxes of ammo, this takes less space (ha, probably less money also) than storing a carton of smokes somewhere. And if you actually handload and the idea of another caliber also makes you jittery...? Let's just say I don't get it (nope, I don't need to either, I'm fine with what others choose to do) but it cannot be avoided:

Man, a revolver in 9mm is absolutely -not- a revolver in .38 or .357, never could be, not on EITHER end of the power/ability spectrum and to live a life that has revolvers... but zero of them in .38 or .357 is, to me like living a life with no sense of smell, taste or touch. Of course you would want to live, but would you willing choose to live this way?

If I were homeless or living in a van, and storage space was nightmarishly critical, I suppose I could see stripping life down to two calibers with no hope for a third. But I don't live in that world and handguns are a tremendous joy in my life... not a liability that must be corralled and manipulated.

Just my angle. Not meant to offend.

All calibers matter! ;)
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

It's not really about storage, but the logistics of reloading quality ammo easily/quickly. For example, my Sig and Glock like different bullet weights and charge amounts - Sig likes heavier with more towards the max charge, Glock lighter towards the low to mid range charge (I may have found a bullet they both like though - stay tuned!). My seating die has a micrometer in it, making it cake to look at notes, set, and know I'll be good to go. My powder dump has a click adjust wheel on it that holds .05 grain repeatability - look at the notes, turn it to the correct setting, go. I do take the first 20 of a run off, put it in the practice box along with the case gauge failures, and then put the Sig run in a Sig box, and Glock in the Glock box. At a rate of 100 rounds in 3 minutes, I can really crank out the rounds, especially if a friend runs my case gauge and tops off my components.

That goes out the window with other calibers, and I'm much more into simplifying my life right now. The revolver is a possible use item for defense on the road if we're traveling through a restricted locality (we have family in DC, for example). For my long gun use - I have no place to stretch out to the edge of even .223 performance, and my AK was heavy/corrosive ammo was getting old to clean, and couldn't really use it in pistol bays, so it was limited to the same exact thing I'd use my .22 rifle at - 200 yards and done. My .22 SA revolver is for friends that don't shoot, and for simplicty of not having to remember anything besides ammo/gun/ear pro (I wear rated glasses every day).

The 9mm carbine brings the higher rate of fire/movement back into things at pistol distances/bays.

So yes, .38 or .357 wouldnt' be too bad. But storing the conversions for the calibers/case plates for the case feeder, etc., just isn't something I'm interested in. And being able to go between 2-4 potential loads different firearms like in a matter of seconds - well, that's just making more sense out of my time if you ask me. Plus by sticking to the same caliber/components with the most common brass, the cost becomes even cheaper over time. The logistics for me go beyond initial time/storage of ammo - but I also prefer to stick to one pistol make/model, with 2 fringe ones for dedicated uses that my main one isn't a good choice for.

-Important distinction
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Back in the day, late 80s into the 90s, 357 factory loads were optimized for long barrels (and had been since the beginning). Didn't work too well in a J-frame. And 38s were ok, but still mostly loaded for 4" duty revolvers. And not j-frames. The 9mm j-frame bridged the gap, and, at the time, the 9mm often exceeded the speed of the j-frame 357 (too much powder burned outside the short barrel) and thus was key for what we now call Operators. Hence, the legend of the 9 mm wheelgun.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member