No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BEAR!

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Post by BEAR! »

I knew that you guys would give me the reason.

I wasn't really wanting one but just seeing what they sold for.

It kills me that in Ohio we can't own one, kinda gives you an idea for how the people in Kommiefornia feel.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

BEAR! wrote:I knew that you guys would give me the reason.

It kills me that in Ohio we can't own one, kinda gives you an idea for how the people in Kommiefornia feel.
Well, maybe a small taste of their draconian laws, BEAR. The list of their prohibited or restricted firearms, parts, etc, not to mention lack of carry licenses, is stomach churning.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Hmmm....You guys have got me confused. If it is not a handgun...then it is a long gun right? I cannot buy a handgun in another state...but I definitely can buy a long gun in another state. Get my point?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

glocksmith wrote:Hmmm....You guys have got me confused. If it is not a handgun...then it is a long gun right? I cannot buy a handgun in another state...but I definitely can buy a long gun in another state. Get my point?
Welcome to the world of convoluted firearms laws.
Under the GCA , it is a firearm (per ATF's letter), not a pistol or long gun. It's physical dimensions keep it out of the NFA, but depending on who makes the call, Ohio state law "might" prohibit it.....soooo, here we are. "IF" the state were to accept the ATF's definition, we would be good to go. But who makes the call ?
As for out-of state purchases, "other firearms" are restricted like handguns and receivers.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

JimE wrote:
glocksmith wrote:Hmmm....You guys have got me confused. If it is not a handgun...then it is a long gun right? I cannot buy a handgun in another state...but I definitely can buy a long gun in another state. Get my point?
Welcome to the world of convoluted firearms laws.
Under the GCA , it is a firearm (per ATF's letter), not a pistol or long gun. It's physical dimensions keep it out of the NFA, but depending on who makes the call, Ohio state law "might" prohibit it.....soooo, here we are. "IF" the state were to accept the ATF's definition, we would be good to go. But who makes the call ?
As for out-of state purchases, "other firearms" are restricted like handguns and receivers.
If ATF called it an AOW we could get it on a stamp. :?: Whats a AOW stamp 25 bucks.
Black Rifles Matter
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

There are places in Ohio that won't sell this, and places that will. I know of one place that went back and forth on whether to sell it, and another that isn't going to until they can get an official statement from the AG's office. If you really want this, a little looking around or phone calls and you'll probably be able to find one.

If I've been strenuous in my opinion on here it's because I don't want to see an innocent person unintentionally commit a felony.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:There are places in Ohio that won't sell this, and places that will. I know of one place that went back and forth on whether to sell it, and another that isn't going to until they can get an official statement from the AG's office. If you really want this, a little looking around or phone calls and you'll probably be able to find one.

If I've been strenuous in my opinion on here it's because I don't want to see an innocent person unintentionally commit a felony.
Who is going to be the felon the seller or buyer. If you buy it from an FFL holder aren't they on the hook that the sale is legal and within currant law. :?
Black Rifles Matter
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Brian D. wrote:
BEAR! wrote:I knew that you guys would give me the reason.

Well, maybe a small taste of their draconian laws, BEAR. The list of their prohibited or restricted firearms, parts, etc, not to mention lack of carry licenses, is stomach churning.
You're right Brian just a small taste but a bad taste none the less.

I just watched Hickok 45's review of the Shockwave and now I find myself kinda wanting one. :roll:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

steves 50de wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:There are places in Ohio that won't sell this, and places that will. I know of one place that went back and forth on whether to sell it, and another that isn't going to until they can get an official statement from the AG's office. If you really want this, a little looking around or phone calls and you'll probably be able to find one.

Who is going to be the felon the seller or buyer. If you buy it from an FFL holder aren't they on the hook that the sale is legal and within currant law. :?
Like I implied in my above post - if you are traveling and you find one in an out of state gun store - you whip out your DL and say "I'll take it." If you are a LAC who can pass a background check...and they sell it to you...then its yours :lol:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

steves 50de wrote:

If it's a shotgun, then it's a sawed-off shotgun under Ohio law which makes it a dangerous ordnance. Possession of dangerous ordnance without a sheriff's permit is a 5th degree felony, regardless of how you came by it.

The federal laws speak to federal definitions, and as the ATF's letter points out they contradict each other (not a firearm under the NFA but is a firearm under the GCA). Just because it isn't a shotgun under the GCA does not mean it's not a shotgun under Ohio law. Ohio law doesn't define shotgun. A prosecutor or court could choose to go by the federal definition, or could look at the manufacturer's own documentation, or could just compare it to other shotguns and say "yep it's a shotgun".

Until an Ohio authority rules about this its status is up in the air, and the ability to legally purchase it, in state or out of state, doesn't change that.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Maybe our A.G. Mike Dewine is not aware of this conflicting situation in Ohio laws; someone who can get his attention should make him aware.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

glocksmith wrote:
steves 50de wrote:

Like I implied in my above post - if you are traveling and you find one in an out of state gun store - you whip out your DL and say "I'll take it." If you are a LAC who can pass a background check...and they sell it to you...then its yours :lol:
I have been thinking about hitting a pa gun show maybe Erie. :wink: :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

steves 50de wrote:I have been thinking about hitting a pa gun show maybe Erie. :wink: :lol:
I have a home in Southern KY...so I could buy one and just keep it there...that is if I were worried about Ohio law :wink:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Rumor has it that Mossberg will begin shipping these to Ohio directly to dealers now.
I have no idea what may have changed, who ruled on what, etc..
*If* I see them come in from Mossberg , I'll post something. I would not hold my breath in anticipation.....rumors have a high bs content.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

I don't understand all the controversy.

I just bought one. Took all of 15 minutes.

Transfers like a handgun. Gotta be 21 and a resident of the state you buy it in.

I know of 4 different gun shops selling them as fast as they get them.