No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

miker

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Post by miker »

I don’t mean to dig up an old thread but has anybody heard anything on these shockwaves from a legal standpoint?

I was at a local dealer yesterday who said these are 100% legal and they have sold over 100 of them. And also said if they were illegal mossberg would not be shipping to them directly and they would have got in trouble if they were illegal.

I then called another ffl dealer who said he has also sold a bunch.
"Shot placement is king. Penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins."

would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

miker wrote:I don’t mean to dig up an old thread but has anybody heard anything on these shockwaves from a legal standpoint?
Nothing definitive. Lots of local shops have been told by their local PD they're okay. Others have been told otherwise. The AGs office hasn't released a public statement.
miker wrote:I was at a local dealer yesterday who said these are 100% legal and they have sold over 100 of them. And also said if they were illegal mossberg would not be shipping to them directly and they would have got in trouble if they were illegal.
They were available for sale in Texas even though the legislature agreed they needed to change their laws to make them legal there. They were also available in Oregon for a couple months before the OSP Firearms Unit put a halt to sales.

Palmetto State Armory still states Not For Sale for Residents of Ohio and Buds Gun Shop states ***We're currently not shipping this firearm to CA, NY, MA, or OH***

That doesn't mean they aren't legal. It means there's a legitimate question about their legality and those companies are operating on the side of caution. The TX and OR examples are just to show that just because something is being sold doesn't preclude it from later being clarified as illegal.
miker

Post by miker »

So let’s just say they do come out and say they are illegal in ohio unless you get more liscensing or tax stamp.

What happens to all the people who bought them legally through a liscensed ffl dealer?

FYI I just went to brownells and they will ship them to ohio.
"Shot placement is king. Penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins."

would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

It is legal for a FFL to sell an AR15 to a FFl in New York, but the receiving FFl cannot sell it to a resident of New York, he must sell & ship to someone out of state.
Mossberg will ship to Ohio FFl's, but it is up to the receiver to make sure the sale is legal in Ohio, if it is sold in Ohio.
It all boils down to :
1-How comfortable are you with the sale.
2-How good is your attorney.
3-How deep is your wallet if you need the attorney .
The state law is written so poorly, a really aggressive prosecutor can mess up your life in a hurry if it ends up in the wrong hands.
Until DeWine issues a determination, or the legislators fix it (we are not in Texas, so maybe in 10 years)), a lot of dealers are not going to risk it, right or wrong.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

miker wrote:So let’s just say they do come out and say they are illegal in ohio unless you get more liscensing or tax stamp.

What happens to all the people who bought them legally through a liscensed ffl dealer?

FYI I just went to brownells and they will ship them to ohio.
The Calico high capacity guns were illegal in Ohio too and some were sold here by FFL.

If the AG ruled the Shockwave was a "sawed off firearm" under ORC then the people would them already IMHO would have to remove the barrels and store the barrels somewhere there was no receiver it would fit onto, or perm attach a muzzle extension.

The dealers are STUPID to sell them because each sale is a crime in Ohio IMHO. They are required by law to keep a bound book record of their crimes in this case.

Even if the law were changed unless it had a blanket exemption included for sales and possession prior to the law change the criminal offenses would still be valid, what the law WAS on the date of sale decides if it was a criminal act or not.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Can't understand why the AG hasn't issued an opinion on this topic yet. It's not because nobody asked. (Yes, I know they aren't required to answer questions from the public at large, didn't mean to imply it was me who asked.)

And as for the Ohio House/Senate doing anything about it? Puh-leeze! Gimme a break.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

Talked to a local dealer yesterday asking if there's any news about this, she said they have a bunch of them sitting in there back room just waiting for the OK.
Actually called around different dealers to inquire & yes they are selling them, if there out they had no problem putting you on a waiting list.
With Texas being approved starting Sep 1rst she said it should'nt be too long after that before we're good to go, but who knows we will just have to wait & see.
BOB
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

ESAFO wrote:With Texas being approved starting Sep 1rst she said it should'nt be too long after that before we're good to go, but who knows we will just have to wait & see.
The status only changed in Texas because their legislature changed their laws. Without a strong push the Ohio legislature won't do anything about this.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

I saw that in late October that Mossberg was releasing a 20 guage version of the shckwave.

I wish that Ohio would allow these to be owned here because they sure look like fun. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

BEAR! wrote:I saw that in late October that Mossberg was releasing a 20 guage version of the shckwave.

I wish that Ohio would allow these to be owned here because they sure look like fun. :mrgreen:
Well an AOW is only a $5 tax :-).....then wait for the transfer to traverse BATFE.

IMHO an AOW is wayyyyyy cooler :-).

https://www.mossberg.com/product/500-co ... aow-51697/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bill
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

Well an AOW is only a $5 tax :-).....then wait for the transfer to traverse BATFE.

IMHO an AOW is wayyyyyy cooler :-).
I like it!
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

I guess they’re ok in the Toledo area.
http://www.armslist.com/posts/6921416/t ... shockwave-
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

If you really want one of these, they are certainly available from some gun shops, you may just have to look around. But until the legalities are settled I'd recommend getting a Dangerous Ordnance license: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.18v1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

JustaShooter wrote:If you really want one of these, they are certainly available from some gun shops, you may just have to look around. But until the legalities are settled I'd recommend getting a Dangerous Ordnance license: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.18v1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is a "may issue" license, depends on what your county sheriff decides yay or nay.

Bill
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

ORC 2923.11(F): ""Sawed-off firearm" means a shotgun with a barrel less than eighteen inches long, or a rifle with a barrel less than sixteen inches long, or a shotgun or rifle less than twenty-six inches long overall."
A few months on anyone get charged with a felony yet? Without a law change we need some case law.