No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Post by JustaShooter »

marca wrote:It has not been settled whether or not it is legal in Ohio. Many Ohio gun stores sell them. If you are not willing to be the test case, then leave it home.
There, fixed that for you... ;)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

djthomas wrote:
JimE wrote:Reg's state that only "longguns", i.e. rifles and shotguns can be transferred to an out-of state resident, same as AR lowers.
To be precise, both the GCA and the regs specifically say "rifle or shotgun" when referring to what an out-of-state resident can purchase from an FFL. The term long gun doesn't appear anywhere.
I should have been more precise, but in the instructions for the 4473, (page 5, section B, question 16) for "other " firearms, states that only "long guns (rifles & shotguns)" can be sold to those under 21, and cannot not be transferred to non-residents of the state in which the purchase is made. The different sections of law are quoted on the form.
I have a .pdf copy of the current 4473, but I can't get the stupid thing to let me copy that section of text.

Personally, I would love to have one of those. I've handled them, (not shot) and with the right load *should* be controllable. Be a great house gun (except for the noise).
So it would be nice to see this cleaned up, but I am afraid the legislature is going to take about 10 years to get around to it, and I don't want to be a test case.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

JustaShooter wrote:
marca wrote:It has not been settled whether or not it is legal in Ohio. Many Ohio gun stores sell them. If you are not willing to be the test case, then leave it home.
There, fixed that for you... ;)
Would the county sheriff have to issue a D.O. permit or is it a may issue. :?: Or tell you to get lost.
Black Rifles Matter
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

steves 50de wrote:Would the county sheriff have to issue a D.O. permit or is it a may issue. :?: Or tell you to get lost.
The way the law is written it almost looks like a "shall issue" law, but then the details get in the way (surprising, right?) On the one hand it says:
(A) Upon application to the sheriff of the county or safety director or police chief of the municipality where the applicant resides or has his principal place of business, and upon payment of the fee specified in division (B) of this section, a license or temporary permit shall be issued to qualified applicants to acquire, possess, carry, or use dangerous ordnance, for the following purposes:
But to be a qualified applicant you don't just need a clean record, the qualification that most of us would need to shoot for is:
(5) In the discretion of the issuing authority, any responsible person, with respect to dangerous ordnance lawfully acquired, possessed, carried, or used for a legitimate research, scientific, educational, industrial, or other proper purpose.
So, is possessing a Shockwave to take it to the range to shoot for fun a "proper purpose" - and even if it is, it's still at the discretion of the issuing authority to decide if you are a responsible person that they want to issue a license to. A solidly pro-gun SO probably would issue one to a person with a CHL, bot others? Who knows.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

So from what I saw in a lawyer video I could own a Shockwave in Ohio if I file a form BSSA-1 with my county Sheriff and pay $50..... so anyone have a clue where one might find this form?
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Are these legal now. :?:
Black Rifles Matter
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

steves 50de wrote:Are these legal now. :?:
They will be as of March 28, assuming DeWine signs HB86 - the "fix it" bill (and that is almost a certainty).
NRA Life Member

steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

JustaShooter wrote:
steves 50de wrote:Are these legal now. :?:
They will be as of March 28, assuming DeWine signs HB86 - the "fix it" bill (and that is almost a certainty).
:mrgreen:
Black Rifles Matter
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

Done.

https://www.10tv.com/article/dewine-sig ... -some-guns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pkd

Post by pkd »

Glad to see this was rectified—but what a debacle.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

pkd wrote:Glad to see this was rectified—but what a debacle.
What do you expect from most politicians ? :D
lar1

Post by lar1 »

What did this fix, exactly?
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

lar1 wrote:What did this fix, exactly?
During the post-election rush to pass things, the legislature unwittingly put the definition of items that were not to be considered dangerous ordnance into the section that defined dangerous ordnance, thus essentially negating the legalization of the shockwave. To add insult to injury, it included all long gun unless they would have a valid "sporting purpose." This put the owners of AR's and AK's into a bad situation in some anti-gun areas. It had to be remedied post haste.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
lar1

Post by lar1 »

Thank you for the response. So shockwaves are not consider class 3 type weapons by definition of specific firearm?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

lar1 wrote:Thank you for the response. So shockwaves are not consider class 3 type weapons by definition of specific firearm?
FWIW they were never Class 3. That is a Federal designation (technically, Class 3 is the type of license needed to sell them, firearms covered by that license are Title II weapons, or NFA firearms), they were never classified that way since they are over 26" long. However, Shockwaves and similar were classified as Dangerous Ordnance under Ohio law until HB228 and the HB86 fix were enacted. Now they are legal in Ohio, along with any other firearms over 26" that aren't regulated under the NFA.
NRA Life Member