No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: No Mossberg shockwave for Ohio?

Post by JimE »

Mossberg was not shipping to Ohio (or Texas) dealers due to the way Ohio law reads.
The ones sold in Ohio came thru the distributor's to the dealers , while Mossberg (and a lot of dealers) was still in limbo on it's legality.
No one wants a repeat of the Century Arms M76 Yugo fiasco.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

And yet;

I was able to walk into a gun store today, and buy one legally.

3 of 4 stores selling them locally are class 3 dealers.

And the firearm didn't transfer to them on a form 3.... meaning an NFA item.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JimE wrote:Mossberg was not shipping to Ohio (or Texas) dealers due to the way Ohio law reads.
The ones sold in Ohio came thru the distributor's to the dealers , while Mossberg (and a lot of dealers) was still in limbo on it's legality.
No one wants a repeat of the Century Arms M76 Yugo fiasco.
Jim, or whoever else knows: What was the Century Arms M76 Yugo fiasco? I assume it was a case of something being sold for a while, then suddenly banned, retroactively at that. Was it a federal or Ohio-only thing?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

On the Yugo's.....Century imported a lot of M76 sniper rifles in 8x57mm that were C&R eligible.
I really wanted one bad, and almost ordered, but they went in a hurry. After they all sold, ATF "determined" they could be converted to full auto rather easily.
I forget if was Century or the ATF that sent the demand letters. Those who didn't respond, gained the full attention of the Fed's.

Now I know some of the Shockwave's made it into Ohio, but thru the distributors. Mossberg will not ship direct unless they have some direction about state law.
Everyone forgets about Ohio law, simply because there isn't a lot of restrictions here. But for how many decades could we not "use" a over 30rd magazine ?
There is still some "clean up" needed.
If the state were to go it's own way, and not accept the ATF classification, then those that were here would have to be removed, surrendered , or registered (I'm not sure how on a state level).
That "could" open the door for the state to file charges against the companies involved in selling them, so you need to be cautious when in those positions.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

JimE wrote:Now I know some of the Shockwave's made it into Ohio, but thru the distributors.
I know of people that have had them transferred in from out of state shops to their local FFL.
JimE wrote:Mossberg will not ship direct unless they have some direction about state law.

That "could" open the door for the state to file charges against the companies involved in selling them, so you need to be cautious when in those positions.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:08:23 PM EDT

"Blackwing sells them, $379. They had several. I asked them about restrictions and they said that the Mossberg rep contacted the state asking for clarification on the legality and their good to go."

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_12/6129 ... kwave.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blackwing told me they are very cautious in matters like this, but were confident to proceed.

Reason being, the ATF doesn't classify them as shotguns.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Six Shooter wrote:

Blackwing told me they are very cautious in matters like this, but were confident to proceed.

Reason being, the ATF doesn't classify them as shotguns.
The company I work for sold a couple, then had Mossberg caution us, so the red flags went up.
I said "rumor", as I was not the one who talked to the rep. When we see them shipped directly, we can be confident things have been clarified.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

JimE wrote: The company I work for sold a couple, then had Mossberg caution us, so the red flags went up.
I said "rumor", as I was not the one who talked to the rep. When we see them shipped directly, we can be confident things have been clarified.

JimE,

I am in no way, trying to disrespect your posts. You're offering an opinion of "abundance of caution". I get it.

My postings.... are my personal experience. Based on a good faith, reasonable, and prudent attempt at due diligence.

The shop I bought mine from has been in business for almost 50 years.

(it wasn't Joe's pizza and gun shop) :wink:

The other class 3 dealers I spoke with all concurred, they wouldn't risk their FFL License on a whim.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Six Shooter wrote:
JimE wrote:

JimE,

I am in no way, trying to disrespect your posts. You're offering an opinion of "abundance of caution". I get it.

Never took it that way.
The folks I work for are Class 3 as well, and several of us were scratching our heads over the first Black Aces we saw, even with the ATF letter.
We thought the Mossy's were good to go until the company told us they would not ship to Ohio. Now it "looks" like they will.
A lot of the distributor network (and most dealers) don't have the resources to follow all the state laws, rulings and changes in them across the country. They rely on the dealers to know what is legal in their home state, and not to be ordering "contraband". Without clarity from the state on these gray areas, the dealers are left to guess.
Look how long it took to get some retailers to ship 30+ rd mags into Ohio, after the law was changed.
But, some stuff gets out; you just hope you are not downwind if it hits the fan.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

JimE wrote: The folks I work for are Class 3 as well, and several of us were scratching our heads over the first Black Aces we saw, even with the ATF letter.
We thought the Mossy's were good to go until the company told us they would not ship to Ohio. Now it "looks" like they will.

And ?
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

We wait and see if they show up.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JimE wrote: If the state were to go it's own way, and not accept the ATF classification, then those that were here would have to be removed, surrendered , or registered (I'm not sure how on a state level).
You'd just need your local sheriff or police chief to issue you a license to possess or use dangerous ordnance. But here's the fun bit, I'd bet that 90% of them have no idea how to do that because they have never had the occasion.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

Only problem being.... that the ATF doesn't define them, as a dangerous ordnance.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Six Shooter wrote:Only problem being.... that the ATF doesn't define them, as a dangerous ordnance.
Correct, and that's why you don't need to do any Title 2 paperwork for the feds. Incidentally there is no such thing as "dangerous ordnance" at the federal level.
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

djthomas wrote:Correct, and that's why you don't need to do any Title 2 paperwork for the feds.
It's a Title 1 firearm.... plain and simple.

djthomas wrote:Incidentally there is no such thing as "dangerous ordnance" at the federal level.

The term should have been "destructive device".
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

Some people, will sink to certain depths for business.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/mossber ... legal-ohio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.secondcalldefense.org/our-team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are all Tier 1 operators.

OMG

The best part....

http://www.secondcalldefense.org/plans- ... iate=20007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;