Disassembly Latch Stuck

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mpickles

Disassembly Latch Stuck

Post by mpickles »

Attempting to disassemble firearm for cleaning. Drop magazine, clear chamber, pull slide back suggested 1/8", but disassembly latch will not move. I've taken this firearm apart before so it's not for lack of practice, for want of a better word. Firearm is a Taurus PT 24/7 G2C in .40 caliber, only about two months old! Any suggestions? Is firearm safe to carry/use until resolved?
"A license is what you get when the government steals your rights away from you and then sells them back."
- Mark Edge
Brian D.

Re: Disassembly Latch Stuck

Post by Brian D. »

Whatever is stuck, bent, or broken will only get worse if you keep shooting the gun. Not knowing anything much about that model, I have no specific advice about what might be wrong with it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
mpickles

Post by mpickles »

Brian D. wrote:Whatever is stuck, bent, or broken will only get worse if you keep shooting the gun.
That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll give Taurus a call this coming week. :/
"A license is what you get when the government steals your rights away from you and then sells them back."
- Mark Edge
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I had a PT111 G2 that had a similar issue - the instructions that came with it were missing a step - one had to pull the trigger (verify unloaded of course) before the takedown would work. Drove me nuts. (admittedly a very short drive)
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
mpickles

Post by mpickles »

techmike wrote:I had a PT111 G2 that had a similar issue - the instructions that came with it were missing a step - one had to pull the trigger (verify unloaded of course) before the takedown would work. Drove me nuts. (admittedly a very short drive)
Like I said, I had done this several times prior so I knew about pulling the trigger. My issue was happening right before this step though. A buddy of mine who knows a bit more about these things than I do wedged the slide back about 1/8" with a screwdriver and used a probe to feel around underneath the latch. Figured out that the latch had become caught on the edge of another part and, with the extra set of hands, we were able to get it unstuck and finally get the slide off. What a nightmare!
- Mark Edge
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

I think the Ruger Mark II 22 is also like that. Once you've take it apart and managed to get it back together, you NEVER ever want to go through that experience again.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

CCIman wrote:I think the Ruger Mark II 22 is also like that. Once you've take it apart and managed to get it back together, you NEVER ever want to go through that experience again.
This. ^^^

Got a Mark III Hunter a while back, loved shooting it, couldn't stand to field strip and clean it. Got rid of it, someday I might get a Mark IV since they redesigned it to be easier to take down and reassemble.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!