New Gun, Few Questions

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: New Gun, Few Questions

Post by WY_Not »

Yes. Always read the manuals. Do your part to keep technical writers like myself employed. :mrgreen:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

DOA33 wrote:Thanks for the replies! I'll start looking into the mags that have been mentioned. Those who have the same gun, did it take a while before the mag release button become easier to work? When I put the OE mag in empty, it'll go in easy and eject fine, but when I put the rounds in, and put it in the gun. It takes a good smack to lock in and then when I try to eject I have to move my hand and really press hard before it budges and the mag comes out. I'll keep playing with to see if it'll loosen up.
Normally they do break in a bit after being fully loaded and used several times.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

I would say go with the Kim Pro Mags, I have 15 of the 8 Round version for my custom 2 and have had no issues. :wink:
Black Rifles Matter
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

DOA33 wrote:...Those who have the same gun, did it take a while before the mag release button become easier to work? When I put the OE mag in empty, it'll go in easy and eject fine, but when I put the rounds in, and put it in the gun. It takes a good smack to lock in and then when I try to eject I have to move my hand and really press hard before it budges and the mag comes out. I'll keep playing with to see if it'll loosen up.
Load one less round in the magazine and see how it feels.
MyWifeSaidYes
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

Update on the mag issue, after taking the gun apart and gave it a good clean and oil everything is smooth as butter. Now just need to wait for some warm weather and go shooting. I went ahead and ordered 2 Wilson mags.
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
welshj

Post by welshj »

true_pair wrote:I have a Kimber Custom 2 and it is my daily carry gun. Mine needed some work to reliably feed. I did the following work myself and was enough to get the gun working reliably
Polish the feed Ramp
Polish the throat
Change recoil spring to Wolf spring

Polishing was done with a dremel tool soft polishing wheel and flitz
^this.

My EDC is a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45 ACP.
I had the same issues. Right out of the box, I followed the manual and thoroughly cleaned the gun.

Four or five of the first seven round mag jammed, or mis-fed.
Second magazine had similar problems.
Factory Winchester loads.

Took the gun into the house, took it apart and immediately polished the painted feed ramp.
Then polished the feed throat, and some light polishing in the chamber.
I took a small jewelers half round file and worked the hard edges of the feed throat to softly round, or chamfer it.
When I felt it was good, I re-polished the throat.

I then polished the top of the barrel where the slide contacted it as it slid back.
I noticed just from a few rounds I'd fired that there was a wear line across it already. After I polished it- no noticeable wear.

Took it back out, and several magazines later- no misfeeds.
In the couple thousand rounds since, I think I've experienced three or four misfeeds?
Bad rounds in almost all of them. A few were canted rounds in the case.

I'm not sure of the custom models- but I'd look to that if you have any issues.

I have two of the factory 7rnd magazines, and haven't experienced any issues with them.
I've got seven or eight different full 8rnd 1911 mags, and even the factory Taurus mags fit, and feed no problems.

The magazine release button on mine is still somewhat stiff on a full magazine, but it has worn some and easier to load.

What I did for the longest time- when I was inserting a mag, I'd push it in til it stopped against the catch.
Then, push the release button.
Push the mag up and release catch button until the mag clicked in.

Basically, just pushed the button enough to get past the "catch" in it.
I still do this pretty often just to... reduce or prevent latch wear? if that makes sense?
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)