New Gun, Few Questions

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

New Gun, Few Questions

Post by DOA33 »

I bought a wishlist gun, it's a Kimber custom 2. I'm really enjoying the feel and the look. I do have some questions, first I would like to get a OWB with a thumb retainer any recommendations? Next I've been reading up on how to break in this gun and some are saying it breaks in after 50 rounds then some are saying 200 rounds. Any tips for a new Kimber owner?
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: New Gun, Few Questions

Post by DOA33 »

Forgot to ask also, I read the OE mag is not that great are there any better mags the Kimber will take?
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

I've had my Kimber TLE II for about 10 years now and it remains my favorite handgun. While I now have countless thousands of rounds through it, it fires as true and reliably now as it did on day one with zero rounds. Maybe it's just me, but mine needed no "break-in" period. But, even if yours does, that's just an excuse to sling a few rounds down range.

On the other hand, whether you need a few hundred rounds downrange before you trust your life on a firearm...is another story.

As to magazines, my experience with the Kimber mags has been hit and miss. Personally, I prefer Wilson Combat.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

DOA33 wrote:Forgot to ask also, I read the OE mag is not that great are there any better mags the Kimber will take?
Buy one at a time of different brands until you get this sorted out.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

I have a Kimber Custom 2 and it is my daily carry gun. Mine needed some work to reliably feed. I did the following work myself and was enough to get the gun working reliably
Polish the feed Ramp
Polish the throat
Change recoil spring to Wolf spring

Polishing was done with a dremel tool soft polishing wheel and flitz

I Don't have nay experience with thumb break holsters but if you decide on a open top I use and highly recommend tucker gun leather pancake holster

Related to Mags. I use KimPro Tac mags and like them very much over the stock mags. you can actually see and feel the difference between the followers and the spring
I have also had good luck with Chip McCormick power mags and have 4
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

DeSantis Holsters has a few different thumb break belt holsters.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

I really enjoyed my Galco 3-slot thumb break. Until I passed it along to the Late Great Tweed Ring.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Keep in mind the gun companies sub out making their magazines more often than not. With 1911s that would be Metalform (Colt), McCormick (Kimber and maybe others) MecGar/ACT (for S&W and perhaps Sig and several others, not certain) and then Wilson, for those who believe paying the mostest always gets them the bestest. Okay that was snarky, Wilson makes excellent magazines and offers free replacement, but if your gun doesn't like them, so be it, change brands and move on.

I'm not a big fan of thumb break rigs but if that's your thing there's lots of choices in leather; kydex usually relies on other types of active retention devices.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I have quite a few 1911 holsters, from when I went through a 1911 phase. Shoot me a PM with your needs, if you want. All good brands and i'll cut you a sharp deal.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I had a problem finding dependable mags for a pair of Para LDA Carry 9's - MecGar was the solution. My bestest favorite holster is the Wright Leather Works Predator.
https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/ Not a thumb break, but a very secure fit. Most comfortable OWB holster(s) I have owned. I have two, one for a Sig & one for my 3" 1911's. And they are made in Ohio.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

Thanks for the replies! I'll start looking into the mags that have been mentioned. Those who have the same gun, did it take a while before the mag release button become easier to work? When I put the OE mag in empty, it'll go in easy and eject fine, but when I put the rounds in, and put it in the gun. It takes a good smack to lock in and then when I try to eject I have to move my hand and really press hard before it budges and the mag comes out. I'll keep playing with to see if it'll loosen up.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

DOA33 wrote:I bought a wishlist gun, it's a Kimber custom 2. I'm really enjoying the feel and the look. I do have some questions, first I would like to get a OWB with a thumb retainer any recommendations? Next I've been reading up on how to break in this gun and some are saying it breaks in after 50 rounds then some are saying 200 rounds. Any tips for a new Kimber owner?
Nicel gun. I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II and I love it.

Regarding holsters, that's a personal preference, but you might check out Dan McIntosh who made several holsters for me. His website is http://www.zlogonje.com
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

schmieg wrote:Regarding holsters, that's a personal preference, but you might check out Dan McIntosh who made several holsters for me. His website is http://www.zlogonje.com
I'll second Dan's holsters. Very nice custom holsters, made for that very nice special gun. And in fact, unless he's sold it he has quite the deal on one that would look good with that gun: https://www.facebook.com/ZlogonjeGunlea ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

Last Kimber owners manual i read said 500 rounds of hardball for break in.

Ill echo mag comments. Different designs have different release points and may or may not work in your gun. Maybe borrow all your buds different mags and try em.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Dave Shooter wrote:Last Kimber owners manual i read said 500 rounds of hardball for break in.

Ill echo mag comments. Different designs have different release points and may or may not work in your gun. Maybe borrow all your buds different mags and try em.
Manual? Huh...I guess mine did come with one of those. It says:
Before firing the pistol for the first time, Field Strip and clean the firearm following proper procedures. (see DISASSEMBLY, CLEANING and LUBRICATION and ASSEMBLY Instructions in this Manual) Kimbers firearms are quality custom pieces. Our firearms are hand fitted to tight tolerances. For proper Break-in of the firearm shoot 400-500 rounds of Quality Factory Ball (230g. FMJ) Ammunition, cleaning and lubricating the gun every 100-150 rounds.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.