Flying Delta with firearms - changes - labels, and zip ties

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Flying Delta with firearms - changes - labels, and zip ties

Post by Bruenor »

Interesting two articles on how Delta Airlines now identifies your luggage containing firearms so it can easily be identified by thieves.. Guess this is in response to the FLL airport active killer.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/03/delta- ... with-guns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I spoke to one letter writer, off the record confidentially, and saw the pictures of his bag with two large black zip ties crisscrossed around the length and width of the bag. The kicker? Those zip ties weren’t placed on the bag at origin after the declaration of the firearm and standard TSA inspection. No, they were affixed to the bag at the destination, before he could take possession of it and leave the airport. Unlike the first emailer whose bag only had the sticker, this one had both, but there was a difference. In the first case, the traveler had to obtain his bag at the baggage office, as the sticker says, “do not place on the baggage carousel belt.” It was not zip-tied. In the second case, the traveler waited for 20 minutes at the baggage office until seeing his bag, with the sticker only, circling on a nearby carousel.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/0 ... -firearms/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just flew from Vegas to Little Rock with my family and my Ruger 9mm. Check-in at Vegas was normal, but they said I’d have to retrieve the bag with the pistol inside at the Little Rock Delta baggage office, not at baggage claim.

The Little Rock Delta agent was very nice and explained she’d have to secure the pistol before letting me have the bag.
Curious how this fits with
“No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.” 18 USC Sec. 922(e).
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
djthomas

Re: Flying Delta with firearms - changes - labels, and zip t

Post by djthomas »

Bruenor wrote:Curious how this fits with
“No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.” 18 USC Sec. 922(e).
I guess as long as the tag doesn't say "firearm" they're in compliance. The tags say CAGPT, Check and Give Protection To, which I suppose could be stuck on a variety of bags. It could be the Delta CEO's bag, it could contain human organs for transplant...

We just flew to Phoenix and back on Southwest for spring training and there was no change in their procedure, other than the fact that they were diligent on both ends about taping the declaration form to the case, whereas in the past it would sometimes be put loose. Checking in at PHX was a hoot - I was fourth in line waiting for TSA to do the luggage inspection due to bag contents. There were a lot of patriots flying that day and good conversation was had by all.

We go to PHX every year. All in all the only change was the fact that there's metal detectors at all the ballpark gates for spring training now too. That made for some very interesting (and off topic) stories for another day.