(Maybe silly) suppressor question.

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

(Maybe silly) suppressor question.

Post by NavyChief »

OK with all the hoopla over HPA I'm getting sort of excited. But even minus a $200 tax stamp, I'm still not gonna be able to get multiple suppressors. Maybe if I'm real lucky I can work two into the budget - one for pistol (which of course means then I have to get a threaded barel(s)), one for long gun.
So here's the "stupid question" part. If I get one rated for 5/56/.223 will that work just as readily on a .22?
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
JediSkipdogg

Re: (Maybe silly) suppressor question.

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Build your own. If you have a drill press, super easy. I work with a guy that has about 7-8 suppressors and he has more in the tax stamps than he does in the suppressors. I'll have to find out where he buys the kits from, but they are pretty simple to make.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Some 22 caliber suppressor will work with both. Generally a centerfire suppressor well be larger and heavier and more expensive than a dedicated rimfire unit. If that's ok it's not a problem.
Another issue is that rimfire is much dirtier than centerfire so a can you can take apart to clean is highly suggested.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Along those lines, as I understand it a suppressor for a larger caliber will work, just not as effectively, for a smaller caliber.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
marca

Post by marca »

Your cheapest and most fun suppressor will be one for 22lr. Because 22s are dirty, it will need to be able to be taken apart for cleaning. Big fun for both pistols and rifles.

If you only had one other, you will need to pick between one made for a rifle and one made for a pistol. A .45 suppressor will work "OK" on a 9mm. 45s are naturally subsonic. You have to be careful with 9mm or you will get a sonic crack when the bullets go supersonic. Rifles will always be supersonic (OK, not 300 Blackout), but it is really neat to not have a muzzle blast when shooting .223 or .308. A 30 cal suppressor will work "OK" on a .223.

Gosh, that sounds like you really need at least 3.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

marca wrote:Gosh, that sounds like you really need at least 3.
That's what *I'm* thinking!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Think.of this, if the HPA passes, suppressor prices will fall over time due.to natural market forces. Kind of like ARs that are $500-ish today were $1,000-ish right after the AWB ended. Not right away, but the market will attract many suppliers (since the base technology is pretty simple).
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

Friend of mine has a 30 caliber suppressor. He uses it for his .308 and .556. It works well for both
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
Cybercop

Post by Cybercop »

When the HPA passes just buy a 3-D printer and make all you want. No need for cleaning, just use another one.

Example http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015 ... uppressor/

I don't think this would work for centerfire, could get a bit sporty.

Jim
"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale (decedent of Nathan Hale)
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Build your own. If you have a drill press, super easy. I work with a guy that has about 7-8 suppressors and he has more in the tax stamps than he does in the suppressors. I'll have to find out where he buys the kits from, but they are pretty simple to make.
I wonder if he's been buying the "solvent traps"? If so, ATF just shut that down last week.
Mr. Glock wrote:Think of this, if the HPA passes, suppressor prices will fall over time due to natural market forces.
Well see, that's sort of what I'm thinking. But how long am I willing to wait? And as an acquaintance that's in the industry pointed out, prices might actually spike upwards for a while due to demand outstripping supply. His take - find a dealer that's willing to leave it sitting in their safe until that magical day and buy now - just take delivery later.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Theres also places like Rebel Silencers.. http://rebelsilencers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where you can get realistically priced .22 and .30 cal cans without breaking the bank.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Bruenor wrote:Theres also places like Rebel Silencers.. http://rebelsilencers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where you can get realistically priced .22 and .30 cal cans without breaking the bank.
Man there's a number of good 22rf cans under $300...WELL under $300....already.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Bruenor wrote:Theres also places like Rebel Silencers... without breaking the bank.
Whoof. Interesting.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Bruenor wrote:Theres also places like Rebel Silencers.. http://rebelsilencers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where you can get realistically priced .22 and .30 cal cans without breaking the bank.
Hell Yes!
REBEL, Where have you been all my life?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

NavyChief wrote:OK with all the hoopla over HPA I'm getting sort of excited. But even minus a $200 tax stamp, I'm still not gonna be able to get multiple suppressors. Maybe if I'm real lucky I can work two into the budget - one for pistol (which of course means then I have to get a threaded barel(s)), one for long gun.
So here's the "stupid question" part. If I get one rated for 5/56/.223 will that work just as readily on a .22?
Yes.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.