Anybody get a Trump gun?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Anybody get a Trump gun?

Post by Sevens »

You know, something to celebrate a (hopefully) positive swing in the White House? As it turns out, I guess I got two of them... Won a Gunbroker bid for a very rare and neat older S&W Performance Center pistol mere days before that fateful election day in November but I chose to open this discussion for the rifle I bought on Friday, January 20th.

I got a Ruger 77/357 bolt action rifle chambered for the .357 Magnum. These are now legal in Ohio for deer hunting and I have heard that some in southern Ohio like to hunt hogs with them. I don't see myself doing either, I bought this for basically the same reason I buy nearly all my guns -- for fun! I plan to plink steel plates from 100 yards to hopefully... 300 yards with it. Half the fun will be developing the handloads that it "likes best." In a few online discussions I have found, folks report that it does better with heavier slugs rather than light ones but I will definitely be trying 125's and 158's both. Maybe if I get a wild hair for more experimenting I will try some 180 grain slugs.

The rifle comes already set up for integral rings and the rings are provided. I am likely to glass it even before it's maiden voyage, no plans to shoot it until spring.

I think this handy little fireplug will be a lot of fun at the range. Did anyone else get a gun or two that they'll always look back on and remember this crazy election season?
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
JonasM

Re: Anybody get a Trump gun?

Post by JonasM »

Does "Trump ammo" count?

I stocked up, just in case. In retrospect, probably paid more than necessary. :roll:
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I'm probably going to be getting a Trump AR lower. (the ATF counts it as a gun. :roll: ) Many months back a friend of mine was looking at buying a lower at a normal price, thinking that if he waited until after the election the prices would skyrocket. He was waffling however because he said to me "What happens if Trump wins?" I rolled my eyes and said, "Yeah, right, " and sarcastically said, "Yeah, that could happen." I also said while I doubted that he was going to win, but on the off chance that did happen, I'd give him what he paid for it, provided it was still in the same condition as when he bought it. (no scratches, etc) That way there was no risk to him for buying it. Apparently now he doesn't want it anymore, even though I said I'd help him with the build. (I helped someone else with a build and it still actually worked. :lol: ) He's supposed to be bringing it to be so I haven't technically bought it yet, but I'm a person of my word. I guess that''l teach me to doubt the Donald. :roll:
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I'm just the opposite, I guess. I've felt less compelled to buy anything gun related now that we can breathe easy for at least 4 years. Obama has been called the best gun salesman there ever was - and indeed NICS checks went through the roof, while prices skyrocketed and supply plummeted. The threat of a Hillary Presidency simply added fuel to the fire. I for one am glad that is all over and we can all relax for a while. It will be interesting to see how the gun market responds to this dramatic change in political climate. No...I don't think fearful Liberals will sustain the brisk trade which existed during the past 8 years.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

glocksmith wrote:I've felt less compelled
It seems we're talking about wildly different motivations for purchase. I rarely get even slightly excited at any new to market firearm and as each day passes, I can honestly say that I'm uninterested in buying about 96% of what is currently made. I chase guns because I love 'em and get a whole lot of enjoyment from them in so many ways.

It's a rare day when I feel "compelled" to go after a firearm due to some real or perceived political climate. Obviously, the title of my thread makes it sound like these two purchases were in some way inspired or related to the new POTUS but in reality, it was mere happenstance, complete coincidence. I just wanted to make these two buys.

Oh well.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Sevens wrote:
glocksmith wrote:I've felt less compelled
It seems we're talking about wildly different motivations for purchase. I rarely get even slightly excited at any new to market firearm and as each day passes, I can honestly say that I'm uninterested in buying about 96% of what is currently made. I chase guns because I love 'em and get a whole lot of enjoyment from them in so many ways.

It's a rare day when I feel "compelled" to go after a firearm due to some real or perceived political climate. Obviously, the title of my thread makes it sound like these two purchases were in some way inspired or related to the new POTUS but in reality, it was mere happenstance, complete coincidence. I just wanted to make these two buys.

Oh well.
I never thought your purchase was related to the election, a bolt action firing a handgun round is not exactly what the gun banners are going after (yet). It certainly does sound like a good choice for hunting, didn't realize until your post they made a 357 in bolt action. Most of the one's I've seen for that caliber are lever actions. Is the bolt action supposed to be more accurate than the L.A. ?
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Sevens wrote:It seems we're talking about wildly different motivations for purchase. I rarely get even slightly excited at any new to market firearm and as each day passes, I can honestly say that I'm uninterested in buying about 96% of what is currently made. I chase guns because I love 'em and get a whole lot of enjoyment from them in so many ways. It's a rare day when I feel "compelled" to go after a firearm due to some real or perceived political climate. Obviously, the title of my thread makes it sound like these two purchases were in some way inspired or related to the new POTUS but in reality, it was mere happenstance, complete coincidence. I just wanted to make these two buys. Oh well.
Yeah I get what you are saying. Still...it will be interesting to see how the market behaves now that Obozo and the gun grabbers have been declawed for the time being. I've long maintained that the boom in sales would eventually see a complete reversal. There may be a big lull in sales of guns and ammo following Trumps victory...along with a Republican controlled government ...and the certain appointment of a 2nd Amendment friendly SC justice.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

M-Quigley wrote: I never thought your purchase was related to the election, a bolt action firing a handgun round is not exactly what the gun banners are going after (yet). It certainly does sound like a good choice for hunting, didn't realize until your post they made a 357 in bolt action. Most of the one's I've seen for that caliber are lever actions. Is the bolt action supposed to be more accurate than the L.A. ?
I'd say yes, generally speaking a bolt is going to be more inherently accurate than a lever.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Face

Post by Face »

Have not... yet, but will be getting a Sig 320, (fullsize) as soon as I find one in stock at not list price . :)
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

All else being equal, most would argue that a bolt gun has greater potential or maybe "liklihood" of accuracy than a lever gun, and I hope so as well, but I can say that this was not one of the reasons I chased after this rifle. One thing that we can all agree upon is that the bolt action gives you absolutely the best leverage over your ammo and in my case, your handloads.

As I plan to most often use it from a bench, I love the idea that I will not be lifting the rifle to operate a lever and I also won't be dealing with a typical loading gate such as the one on many lever guns. This rifle uses a 5-shot rotary magazine along exactly the same lines as the Ruger 10/22. Matter of fact, with the 18.5" barrel, this thing just feels like holding a compact rimfire rifle. I've already tried feeding both .38's and .357 (mixed!) through it and it's happy with either. Truth be told, I will most likely begin every session with a loaded mag and single load all the rest of the ammo after the first five shots.
William Bonney

Post by William Bonney »

I was filling out my paperwork as President Trump was taking the oath of office :D
"You better stand tall when they're calling you out. Don't bend, don't break, baby don't back down." John BonJovi-It's my Life

"If you want to live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn" Motley Crue-Primal Scream
westsidebestside

Post by westsidebestside »

Missed this topic until now, I was hoping a Trump gun was a freebie program like an Obama phone.
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

Got a used S&W Model 67-1 in .38 spl. Great price, great shooter!! Also did a trade and got a Ruger LC9s for my new carry piece! 8)
God made man, Colt made them equal
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

Found a very nice used 4566. I guess it counts.
HancockCountyHaL
Face

Post by Face »

Got a new Sig P320-RX - feeling sorry for all the empty gun stores.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.