AR pistol stabilizing brace

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

AR pistol stabilizing brace

Post by M-Quigley »

A few months ago I saw in a magazine an article about using a stabilizing brace on an AR pistol, and how r/t the latest ATF letter said shouldering an AR pistol constituted a violation. The article stated and showed pictures of the author shooting an AR pistol braced up against the middle of his chest, with a cheek weld. I've tried this with an AR rifle with the stock fully forward, worked out much better than just holding it up like a small handgun. I wish I had noted the magazine and the article date/name. Now when I tried to do a internet search for a definitive answer as to whether this is truly legal, I can't find an answer yes or no. What about the hip? If you couldn't brace it at all, technically you would be in violation if you braced or rested any pistol against any part of your body other than the shoulder? Does anyone know of a link/ source whatever that answers this question?
OxJaw

Re: AR pistol stabilizing brace

Post by OxJaw »

Here is a video that discusses he legality of firing a pistol with the brace for the shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK6YJ3BD2-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Michael Z. Williamson asked the ATF if placing the brace against his (groin) would violate the ATF's regulations...

They refused, in writing, to answer his question.

:P
MyWifeSaidYes
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

OxJaw wrote:Here is a video that discusses he legality of firing a pistol with the brace for the shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK6YJ3BD2-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that link, was interesting. Unfortunitely the video didn't address the critical question of whether it is legal or not to put the brace against some other part of the body other than the shoulder, like the chest or hip. I suppose if it was a defending your life issue a person could just do whatever and worry about the legality later, but I'm referring more to range practice prior to some defensive use.

b.t.w., just wanted to clarify my OP, didn't want any legal misunderstandings. I'm not intending to build an AR pistol with the prior intention of doing anything other than primarily firing it one handed like it was designed for. The question is merely an academic one, in case someone is concerned about safety and actually hitting anything past point blank range, (sarcasm) or in case the shooter is practicing for a dominant arm injury scenario, etc
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Michael Z. Williamson asked the ATF if placing the brace against his (groin) would violate the ATF's regulations...

They refused, in writing, to answer his question.

:P
I saw that post, it was worse than merely against his groin. I'm not surprised they refused to answer the question.

Someone asked me today about a scenario I'd not considered. What if someone was at a range and was wearing one of those recoil shoulder pads like what some people use when shooting a shotgun, and shooting an AR pistol against the shoulder without any device attached? In other words the gun isn't modified the body is. It's not something I'm planning on doing, even if legal, not realistic practice for a defensive situation. Use of the center chest without wearing anything special is at least more practical.