Looking for Brown Gun Belt

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

KingoftheHills

Looking for Brown Gun Belt

Post by KingoftheHills »

I realized that the belts I have are not supportive Gun Belts. I was looking to buy locally and support a business around the NEO area. Anyone have recommendations or contacts from previous gun shows?
gilly32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Looking for Brown Gun Belt

Post by gilly32 »

"The right to keep and bear arms is rooted in both self-defense and insurance against government’s propensity toward tyranny. The right pre-existed the Constitution. Thus, the Second Amendment is not its source. The right to keep and bear arms is natural and inalienable; the Second Amendment protects it, and Congress has no legitimate power to restrict it." - Senator John Cornyn (R., Tex.), as reported in the National Review on July 4, 2016

Burma Shave
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

gilly32 wrote:Here ya go...

http://www.zlogonje.com/blog1.php

I have boughten a couple belts From Dan....they are second to none..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thumbs up for Dan! I'll throw one other suggestion in: The Amish make really good leather stuff. Not very dressy but they do strong, thick belts. And run the entire spectrum of color choices from brown to black.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

A third for Dan's stuff. He's good peeps, to-boot. :) I've got some pretty good leather goods from well-known names, and Zlogonje stuff is right up there - if not better.

It's definitely a local gem.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

KingoftheHills wrote:I realized that the belts I have are not supportive Gun Belts
Dummy question here :oops: What is the difference between a "supportive" gun belt (and) a "regular" dress belt? I've never had much luck with buying a belt and wearing a gun on my hip...keeps riding down and I end up looking more like Han solo. Is there some belt out there which offers an advantage for us gun carriers vs the generic belts you find at any store?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
KingoftheHills

Post by KingoftheHills »

Is $85 the going rate?
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

glocksmith wrote:
KingoftheHills wrote:I realized that the belts I have are not supportive Gun Belts
Dummy question here :oops: What is the difference between a "supportive" gun belt (and) a "regular" dress belt? I've never had much luck with buying a belt and wearing a gun on my hip...keeps riding down and I end up looking more like Han solo. Is there some belt out there which offers an advantage for us gun carriers vs the generic belts you find at any store?
Gun belts are much thicker than the regular belts. Some manufacturers will use stiffening materials like metal, plastic or polymer between the layers of leather. Others just use multiple thick layers of leather. This allows the belt to support the weight of the gun. Gun Belts can also be ordered in various widths so they fit the holster slots more closely and the holster does not move when drawing
Regular belts will deform and droop under the weight of the gun. Here is a video on difference. I don't own this brand just the first video that came up on you tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJD1JAdAycU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

KingoftheHills wrote:Is $85 the going rate?
Expect to pay anywhere from $55 (Amazon) to around $100 (Galco). Higher price belts are nicer looking with better hardware nicer stitching and more color options
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

true_pair wrote:
KingoftheHills wrote:Is $85 the going rate?
Expect to pay anywhere from $55 (Amazon) to around $100 (Galco). Higher price belts are nicer looking with better hardware nicer stitching and more color options
Dan's Biothane belts are an excellent value for those looking to stay in budget at just $25-35 (depending upon stitching). I have a couple as well as one of his leather belts (which is superb).
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Thanks. I'm sure it sounded like a dumb thing to ask, but TBH I've never really come across a belt at any store where it was a designated gun belt, or marked so in writing. All I've seen are just plain belts. I do try to avoid anything with stitching...ie. "leather lined"...which are annoyingly common on the store racks. I do suppose that a belt made by and or sold by a place like GALCO is a big tip-off that it is intended for carrying a holstered handgun. Duh :oops:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

My view of the "gun belt" versus "regular belt" diverges from that of true_pair's by just a little.

To me, it's the interplay of these three factors that makes a "gun belt" what it is:
- thickness
- width
- stiffness

A thick and wide belt may not need to have much stiffness to get the job done - examples would be The Wilderness Instructor's Belts, various "rigger's belts" that are popular for shooting use, as well as the original "Hank's Amish Belt" and some of the nylon police "duty belts" or old-school military "web/pistol belts."

A very stiff belt may not need to be very thick and/or very wide - look at the Ares Gear Enhanced Aegis or Enhanced Ranger.

There's no ideal, here. Rather, it's the interplay of these factors that not only allow for proper support of the handgun and its accessories at one's waist, but also that these factors will drastically affect that most elusive trait of all: comfort.

Being that comfort is by-definition subjective, it's far from unheard of for individual shooters to complain that a belt may actually be perceived as being "too stiff" and "cutting into one's waist/hips." Alternatively, with some of the belts that are not as stiff, they my need some extra tension in order to help support the gun/gear - and that tension/tightness at the waist my instead contribute to discomfort to other folks.

Can "regular belts" bought off-the-shelves/racks at Nordstroms or K-Mart be used as "gun belts?"

Certainly, they can.

But understand that there are often additional considerations undertaken with specialty "gun belts" that are not (as true_pair noted, there may be stiffening inserts, special considerations of fastening hardware or construct such as stitching and hole spacing, etc.), when the belt is simply designed for fashion. :)

For example, my 11 year old daughter recently realized the need for belts not only as a fashion accessory (girl's/young women's stuff happen to be awfully low-riding at the moment), but to also just hold up her pants (she's 5'1" and 100 lbs soaking wet :lol:). While the Volund Gearworks ATLAS Slim I got for her as her "gun belt" seems to offer no more stiffness than the fashion braided-leather belt she got from Justice, the actual difference is apparent as soon as we start loading gear onto these belts.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

TSiWRX wrote:Being that comfort is by-definition subjective, it's far from unheard of for individual shooters to complain that a belt may actually be perceived as being "too stiff" and "cutting into one's waist/hips." Alternatively, with some of the belts that are not as stiff, they my need some extra tension in order to help support the gun/gear - and that tension/tightness at the waist my instead contribute to discomfort to other folks.
That's my problem there. I don't have wide hips, so I have to over tighten my belt in order to keep my weapon from pulling my pants down. At the same time, I don't do well with a tight belt around my belly and waist...I swear it causes me to eventually get a migraine. I wish they made a pair of suspenders which you could hook onto your belt for extra support...though I suppose the same effect could be achieved with suspenders attached to my pants.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

Check around where you live. I go to a local leather smith and have my belts custom made with the color, width, length and buckle that I choose. The last one I had made is now 2 years old and still a solid belt. My cost then was $60.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

glocksmith wrote:
TSiWRX wrote:Being that comfort is by-definition subjective, it's far from unheard of for individual shooters to complain that a belt may actually be perceived as being "too stiff" and "cutting into one's waist/hips." Alternatively, with some of the belts that are not as stiff, they my need some extra tension in order to help support the gun/gear - and that tension/tightness at the waist my instead contribute to discomfort to other folks.
That's my problem there. I don't have wide hips, so I have to over tighten my belt in order to keep my weapon from pulling my pants down. At the same time, I don't do well with a tight belt around my belly and waist...I swear it causes me to eventually get a migraine. I wish they made a pair of suspenders which you could hook onto your belt for extra support...though I suppose the same effect could be achieved with suspenders attached to my pants.
You might do well with a stiffer belt, whose inherent rigidity will grant your firearm and gear the support they need, without the need to tighten the belt too much - however, this will likely force the belt to "sit" on your hips, and that may or may not itself cause discomfort.

This is one of those things that, unfortunately, you'll have to play a bit, to try to get right. :(

Alternatively, a wider belt may help distribute the weight more - so that even though it is tight, it won't "feel" so constricting.

And you're right, you may wind up needing to go with a belt+suspenders setup.