Voluntary Appeal File

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mpickles

Voluntary Appeal File

Post by mpickles »

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else had run into the same issues dealing with the government in this manner.

I had a felony arrest many years ago. All charges were dismissed because I wasn't at fault, but it was accidentally entered into my home state (at the time) computer as a felony conviction. I ended up suing the state about a year ago to fix my record, but I still end up with delays whenever I try to make a purchase. Someone on this forum had made mention of a Voluntary Appeal File process to possibly avoid these delays so I submitted my application back in August of 2016. I called the NICS section of the FBI a few minutes ago to check the status and received an automated message that they are no longer performing status updates for individual applicants over the phone - bummer. The next sentence says that they are currently processing applications from August - super! ...Of 2015 - bummer.

Maybe they should hire a few more interns to get caught up? :roll:
"A license is what you get when the government steals your rights away from you and then sells them back."
- Mark Edge
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Voluntary Appeal File

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Yep. Not a quick system, especially under our current (and outgoing) president.

The time lag used to be 4 to 6 months.
MyWifeSaidYes
MAJORSDAD13

Post by MAJORSDAD13 »

The government is having the same issues with the back log of all the NFA paperwork. One way around it would be if you have an Ohio CHL that was issued or renewed after 3-23-2015. That would allow you to bypass the NICS background part of the process, but you would still need to fill out the paperwork for a paper trail.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MAJORSDAD13 wrote:The government is having the same issues with the back log of all the NFA paperwork. One way around it would be if you have an Ohio CHL that was issued or renewed after 3-23-2015. That would allow you to bypass the NICS background part of the process, but you would still need to fill out the paperwork for a paper trail.
Unfortunately, not all dealers accept a recently issues CHL in lieu of the background check. I also heard from one local gun shop that FFLGuard (a legal compliance program run by firearms attorneys) is telling them *not* to accept an Ohio CHL and to *always* run NICS checks because of the potential for problems (something to do with the way Ohio handles license suspensions and not requiring the surrender of the license itself and the FFL not having a way for a LGS to check if it has been suspended).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
mpickles

Post by mpickles »

JustaShooter wrote:
MAJORSDAD13 wrote:The government is having the same issues with the back log of all the NFA paperwork. One way around it would be if you have an Ohio CHL that was issued or renewed after 3-23-2015. That would allow you to bypass the NICS background part of the process, but you would still need to fill out the paperwork for a paper trail.
Unfortunately, not all dealers accept a recently issues CHL in lieu of the background check. I also heard from one local gun shop that FFLGuard (a legal compliance program run by firearms attorneys) is telling them *not* to accept an Ohio CHL and to *always* run NICS checks because of the potential for problems (something to do with the way Ohio handles license suspensions and not requiring the surrender of the license itself and the FFL not having a way for a LGS to check if it has been suspended).
It hasn't helped so far anyways. My CHL was issued in June, 2016, so I'm well past the 3/23/15 date. Just venting about the multiple inefficiencies of our government I guess.
"A license is what you get when the government steals your rights away from you and then sells them back."
- Mark Edge
MAJORSDAD13

Post by MAJORSDAD13 »

mpickles wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
The shops that use FFLGuard is one pitfall to bypassing the NICS background check. One local dealer allows buyers to use their qualifying CHL to bypass the background check that has allowed them to sell firearms when the NICS system is down or overwhelmed and also in cases such as mpickles mentioned.

It hasn't helped so far anyways. My CHL was issued in June, 2016, so I'm well past the 3/23/15 date. Just venting about the multiple inefficiencies of our government I guess.
You would have to check with the dealer that you're buying from to see if they allow the use of an Ohio CHL after 3-23-15 to bypass the NICS check as some FFLs don't even know that they can do that. I know it's a daunting task but unfortunately it's still the government you're dealing with. Good luck!