Holster to accomodate Crimson Trace Grips?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gilly32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Holster to accomodate Crimson Trace Grips?

Post by gilly32 »

I am considering purchasing a new pistol with Crimson Trace Laser Grips.

On their website, Crimson Trace states the following:
At Crimson Trace, we believe that no personal protection firearm is complete without a laser sight. Beyond that, no concealed carry system is fully complete without a quality holster. Many Crimson Trace products, including Lasergrips®, will work with your favorite holster, as the low profile design does not affect the overall profile of the pistol.
For those of you that have experience with the CT grips, have you found that a leather holster made for a particular model of firearm will accommodate the laser grips, or must it be made special for this option?
"The right to keep and bear arms is rooted in both self-defense and insurance against government’s propensity toward tyranny. The right pre-existed the Constitution. Thus, the Second Amendment is not its source. The right to keep and bear arms is natural and inalienable; the Second Amendment protects it, and Congress has no legitimate power to restrict it." - Senator John Cornyn (R., Tex.), as reported in the National Review on July 4, 2016

Burma Shave
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Holster to accomodate Crimson Trace Grips?

Post by Mr. Glock »

The laser grips change only the grip, which isn't usually in the actual holster, so shouldn't be a holster change. And not a big change at that, in terms of changing the grip size.

The laser guard, however, fits on the front light rail and will require a different holster.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

I had a CT grip (briefly) for a Kimber 1911. While I didn't care for the grip and eventually traded or sold it, it had no impact on the fit in a leather holster.

I also briefly owned a laser grip for a Glock. I liked that one even less and quickly traded it, as well.

In contrast, I used the LaserMax guide rod laser for a Glock for several years and liked it quite a bit. At least, I did until it broke and LaserMax never bothered honoring their warranty.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

With revolvers, you always have to make sure the grips don't get in the way of speedloaders or moon clips, if you use either to load the gun.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
RF_Plumber

Post by RF_Plumber »

I put lasergrips on my 1911 and carry it in a Versa Max II. The front edge of the laser housing rubs up against the top of the holster but has not affected the pistol seating into the holster and it rides fine.

I also put a set of laser grips on a K frame smith and Wesson that I also carry in a Versa Max. No problem there either.

Both pistols have been carried in other types of holsters and I have not had any problems with any of my holsters.

Laser grips really help 'old guy eyes' in low light conditions. I recommend them.
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
--P.J. O'Rourke
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

I've got a couple of CT grips - one on each of my two EDC 1911's. No special opinion except that it make a great training aid.

However, I'd say that CT's design is such that a leather holster should either fit without any effort on your part, or with a minimal re-forming, generally caused by just wearing the thing. The ones I've fooled with, and the one's I actually have, basically have little or no effect on the setup.

Kydex may be another story. But being in the grip portion of things, should need only a bit of use, and maybe a little fine sandpaper.

(I have two Kydex holsters, but they're for non-CT guns.)

The only thing that might be of concern is when dealing with super-tight retention schemes that have to grab on to just the right part of the gun in order to work. I'm not sure I'd care to trust that setup, with or without the add-on laser....

Short answer: Shouldn't be a problem with any leather, and most Kydex....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם