Kimber Solo 8 round mag...POS

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Kimber Solo 8 round mag...POS

Post by JimE »

AlanM wrote:
JimE wrote:Ditto here. No problems with either mag.
If it is new, load it with 7 and leave it for a few days. The spring will take a set.
ABSOLUTELY FALSE. Springs DO NOT "take a set".
If one is stretched (or compressed) far enough to pass the metal's yield point then the spring's shape will be permanently changed.
It's impossible to compress a magazine spring to it's yield point.
As a matter of fact it would have to be a VERY unusual spring that could ever be deformed in compression mode.

The only springy object, that I know of, that "takes a set" is older bias ply tires that are on a car, on the ground, without being moved for a period of time. More often in the winter cold. Flat spots develop and it takes several miles of driving to warm up the tires and get them back to round.
I used to believe the same, right up to when I started using Wilson 10rd mags for a 1911. Their instructions are to leave the mag sit, loaded, for a specific time.
I had issues, then followed the instructions, and the problems went away. Also worked on my G19 mags. Once they stayed loaded for a while, they were not such a bear
to load the last 2 rounds.
There is something to it. Don't know what the scientific reasons are, but I not going to refuse something that has worked
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Kimber Solo 8 round mag...POS

Post by TSiWRX »

^ With JimE's reply above, I'm going to ask the same questions I asked of AlanM previously:

If springs do not "take a set," why does a new factory magazine, once you remove the magazine spring from the magazine and thus relieve it of its confines, show to be longer than a magazine that has been used, even for only a few cycles or is stored for but a few days, loaded/compressed?

Why does that used spring then never go back to its length, as-new, even after being removed from that magazine?

This is demonstrably a real-world phenomenon.

I was under the impression that new magazine springs do "take a set," but that the "set" is simply within their operating specs, which it will then maintain through its useful lifespan, and that this is why many magazines, especially double-stackers, can be so hard to load the initial few times but will become noticeably easier and yet maintain full reliable function for most of its useful life.

Those are genuine questions from me - and I'd like to have that answered by those who know more about springs than I do! :oops:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio