Aluminum Cased Ammo

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Fiveshot

Aluminum Cased Ammo

Post by Fiveshot »

What if any are the downside to using aluminum cased ammo? I sometimes purchase these to shoot in my Ruger SR9C and Ruger LC9S. I don't reload, and don't seem to tell any difference, except price.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Aluminum Cased Ammo

Post by WY_Not »

Can't reload them.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

For you, no downside.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

If you shoot with anyone who does reload, they can't take your brass!
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Some ranges charge a couple of bucks extra if you use aluminum-cased ammo. Not sure if that's to recoup what they would get if you'd used brass or if it's to clean out the aluminum before sending the brass to the recycler.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

rimfireOH wrote:Some ranges charge a couple of bucks extra if you use aluminum-cased ammo. Not sure if that's to recoup what they would get if you'd used brass or if it's to clean out the aluminum before sending the brass to the recycler.
Huh. Never heard of that one before. But, if I were inclined to shoot aluminum cased cartridges, I'd find another place to shoot - just like if I ever run across a range that won't let me pick up my own brass as long as it is behind the line...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

If we are going to list all the downsides... that stuff (literally) pollutes outdoor ranges.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

rimfireOH wrote:Some ranges charge a couple of bucks extra if you use aluminum-cased ammo. Not sure if that's to recoup what they would get if you'd used brass or if it's to clean out the aluminum before sending the brass to the recycler.
Some ranges won't allow aluminum or steel cased because they don't want to separate it from brass.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Occasionally an individual handgun won't like chambering or extracting the aluminum cases.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I shot Blazer Aluminum .357 Magnum at an old fuel tank and put one heck of a dent in the side. Then I shot Blazer Brass .357 Magnum at the same tank and put the same dent, but on the other side after it blew through the first side. :shock: Hence, my opinion is that aluminum case in .357 is much weaker. YMMV.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

The only real negative for me is that if the gun doesn't like it, then I worry if it is the gun or the ammo. So then I go get some brass ammo and shoot more than I normally might to be sure, thus defeating any price savings from the aluminum ammo.

Ok, kind of over-playing on this one, but any failure in a carry gun is always a worry.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

Not magnetic.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

concreteguy wrote:Not magnetic.
Okay, yes, but then neither is traditional brass cased ammo.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Brian D. wrote:Occasionally an individual handgun won't like chambering or extracting the aluminum cases.
I had a gun once that ONLY liked aluminum cased ammo.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Morne wrote:I had a gun once that ONLY liked aluminum cased ammo.
I'd have sent that one back to the mother ship. Heck, I wouldn't likely have figured out that it only liked the aluminum cased stuff since I don't buy/use it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!