Aluminum Cased Ammo

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Aluminum Cased Ammo

Post by Morne »

JustaShooter wrote:
Morne wrote:I had a gun once that ONLY liked aluminum cased ammo.
I'd have sent that one back to the mother ship. Heck, I wouldn't likely have figured out that it only liked the aluminum cased stuff since I don't buy/use it.
It was a Hi-Point.

I was young and broke.

I appreciated that the gun at least had just as cheap a taste as I did.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Sevens wrote:If we are going to list all the downsides... that stuff (literally) pollutes outdoor ranges.
How so? I have not heard this before, am curious. At a few ranges (in California) they had signage prohibiting the use of aluminum cased ammo, I was told because of having to sort it out by hand before they sold it to a commercial reloader.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

None of the outdoor ranges I visit does anyone put any effort in to picking up either the steel or aluminum. Obviously... brass rats pick up the brass. The steel rusts... the aluminum corrodes, but the only time it seems to get picked up is on an indoor range with an "easy to sweep" tile floor.

Outside, it stands the test of time. It's a shooting range so I suppose we can all agree that it is expected, but it's just always there.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Fiveshot wrote:What if any are the downside to using aluminum cased ammo? I sometimes purchase these to shoot in my Ruger SR9C and Ruger LC9S. I don't reload, and don't seem to tell any difference, except price.
No downside at all.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

JU-87 wrote:
Fiveshot wrote:What if any are the downside to using aluminum cased ammo? I sometimes purchase these to shoot in my Ruger SR9C and Ruger LC9S. I don't reload, and don't seem to tell any difference, except price.
No downside at all.

Since.most guns were.designed.for.brass, aluminum might not.work quite the same and create a malfunction. That said, I shoot a lot Glocks and haven't had.any.issues.with brass, aluminum or steel.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I tried Blazer aluminum once and none of my semi auto's performed well with it. I have not tried the Federal aluminum ammo yet, but hope to in the future.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I shoot the Blazer aluminum, Federal aluminum, and independence aluminum, and all function flawlessly in a variety of pistols I own from S&W & Springfield. I switch back and forth between brass and aluminum depending on whether or not I can recover the cases at the match. (at one indoor match, someone sweeps up your brass while targets are being scored and pasted.. How awesome is that ?!)

I'm probably around 3000 rounds since my last cleaning on the XDm 9mm and experienced one stove pipe malfunction at the last match while shooting Winchester white box..That's my indicator it's time to clean the pistol.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson