Range bag ideas

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

yogidave

Range bag ideas

Post by yogidave »

With Xmas around the corner my wife was asking for gift ideas, since my current range bag is a little wore out I was thinking this would be an appropriate gift. I typically take 4-6 handguns and about 500rnds of ammo, I'm looking for something durable and preferably without wheels. Any help would be great.
Brian D.

Re: Range bag ideas

Post by Brian D. »

{In Boo Boo Bear's voice}: "Gee, Yogi, I don't think the range bag is going to like all that stuff at once!" :lol:

I've had a couple of pretty good bags but seriously, that's a LOT of gear in just one. Of all makers, Uncle Mike's has a pretty heavy duty bag they sell from their "law enforcement department", if you will.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

A large diaper bag! Tough, sturdy and tamper proof! :lol:
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Maybe something like this.. I was originally thinking the Double Alpha backpack I see at the USPSA matches, but that only holds two gun pouches. The one in the link below holds 4..

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/g-outdoors ... GPS-1711BP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Those GPS bags are very, very nice. I'd like to pick one up myself, sometime, after having seen them in-action.

-----

The MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag will definitely also handle that load:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939221 ... bag-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm going on six years with mine! :)

Its always got two sets of earpros and eyepros (on the long side, the two outside pockets; one set each), along with gun-maintenance materials in the single long side pouch (instead of magazines, I store tools and parts there), boo-boo materials for me in the small end pouch that's next to the drink/ammo holder (I use the included mesh-bottom brass pickup bag as my on-range/in-class ammo-tote, clipping it on to my belt-loop - much easier than stuffing a bunch of rounds in a pocket), and a large IFAK ready-to-go in the larger end-pocket. I usually only take two handguns with me in the bag, but load heavy with ammo - I've had as much as 1.5K in there, without issue.

TUFF Products recently teamed up with Steve Fisher of Sentinel Concepts, and they're rolling out some new material. http://www.tuffproducts.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I've never used their bags, but I have used some of their other stitched nylon softgoods, and they're pretty tough and durable.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

Brian D. wrote:{In Boo Boo Bear's voice}: "Gee, Yogi, I don't think the range bag is going to like all that stuff at once!" :lol:

I've had a couple of pretty good bags but seriously, that's a LOT of gear in just one. Of all makers, Uncle Mike's has a pretty heavy duty bag they sell from their "law enforcement department", if you will.
:lol: My wife likes to shoot her 2, 2 22lr pistols for my kids (1 for each), and 2 for me (one semi and Smith model 10 for plinking). If I go by myself I usually only practice with 2, but now my wife and children want to go with me every time which I highly encourage.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

yogidave wrote: :lol: My wife likes to shoot her 2, 2 22lr pistols for my kids (1 for each), and 2 for me (one semi and Smith model 10 for plinking). If I go by myself I usually only practice with 2, but now my wife and children want to go with me every time which I highly encourage.
I got the wife her own Purple range bag from Voodoo tactical, She can put her 2 pistols in her range bag, along with her ear and eye pro as well as ammo. She was pretty happy since she doesn't like pink but loves purple. :)

I purchased a large plastic toolbox from Home Depot, filled it with closed cell foam, and made cutouts for 6 pistols with about 6 magazines each to fit in the toolbox.. It's lightweight and nothing moves around, I can tell at a glance if everything is in there or something is missing, then I just fill an ammo can, or small range bag with ammo and other necessities.

ultimately I ended up with something like this for under $ 30.00, mine just looks like a toolbox rather than a pelican style case
http://www.caseclub.com/6-pistol-case.h ... aQodk8cK2A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

I actually have a lot of that foam cell, thanks for the advice.
Luv2Camp

Post by Luv2Camp »

I bought this range bag off of amazon and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0112 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

My range days for the past 6+ years have almost always been 6-8 handguns and ~800rds. I've had seemingly the perfect solution BUT... I can't fathom any bag -OR- want slung over my shoulder any bag that also has 500+ rounds of ammo. That is recipe for a wrecked bag and a damaged shoulder.

My bag is low budget and also seems to be a phenomenally protective way to haul many handguns in a tight space-- old used leather laptop bag. I'm talking old-school 90's era laptop where you also had peripherals and batteries and the computer was thick and heavy! Occasionally still found at Goodwill type stores... $10-$15.

Inside the laptop bag you store handguns in zippered pistol pouches. $4 each at gun shows if you shop well. I can literally fit 9 handguns in a bag without bursting but yeah, ammo and magazines have to go elsewhere. I use a toolbox, with WHEELS! :lol:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

I've used a Bagmaster Pro-Shooters Bag Large for 15 years. It holds 4 pistols and everything else I need for the range but it gets very heavy.
I think they sell for around $150 now but are very well made.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

here's some mediocre quality cellphone pics of my do-it-yourself multi pistol case.

Best of luck in your search.
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson