Mag. capacities

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Mag. capacities

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Someone I know, bought a SCCY pistol, (9mm), and the mags are supposes to hold 10 rds.

We lost count loading one of them and found they hold eleven. Both mags functioned just fine with that extra rd.

Has anyone encountered this with any other pistol's mags and would you load/carry that extra rd in the mag?

Any thoughts on this?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
TJW815

Re: Mag. capacities

Post by TJW815 »

My old sccy was the same way. Didnt seem to bother feeding that way either.

Eta: I never carried it that way. Not because I did not trust it, but because i didnt carry that firearm at all. Not a fan of the trigger.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

A friend of mine inherited an old FIE Titan 25 cal pistol, and the info in the box said the magazine held 6 rounds. We tried it recently with 7 in the magazine, and one in the chamber, and it functioned just fine.

If I was so desperate that I was carrying a 25 auto, I would definitely want that extra round. Actually though, when is having an extra round available ever a bad thing, with any caliber, as long as it didn't affect functioning?
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I was wondering if pushing that "extra" rd in the mag might put more force on the spring than it should, especially if it's kept loaded for extended periods of time.

Sure it may/will function fine now, but will doing so, cause problems down the road ?

I was wondering if anyone was aware of magazines failing prematuraly because they were loaded past their "stated" capacity.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote: I was wondering if anyone was aware of magazines failing prematuraly because they were loaded past their "stated" capacity.
Not directly or even second hand. Of course someone ALWAYS has a "my cousin's friend's nephew says that..." story on such topics.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
mreising

Post by mreising »

I wonder if the stated capacity meets the legal requirements for those states that have reduced capacity magazine laws?
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Try loading the mag with 11 rds. into the gun with the slide closed and see if it seats properly.
Rubb
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Rubb »

FWIW…the Kel Tec P11 holds 10 rounds too and I believe the Sccy is a P11 clone.
If you snip the legs off the P11 followers it becomes a functional P12 :)
If a sign could stop evil...They’d make holsters for them!!