Moving Ammo from Cold Garage to House

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

FormerNavy

Moving Ammo from Cold Garage to House

Post by FormerNavy »

So I moved recently, and as part of that move a lot of my ammo was just put in the garage. I'm now ready to move it into the house but it's colder out now so I was wondering about condensation. So the garage is around 50F (I am sure it gets a little colder at night) and around 68F in the house. Relative humidity in both is around 40%. I was worried about possible condensation when moving the ammo in from the colder garage... now I've done some reading, and I *think* that I will be o moving it in. But I wanted to run it by those more knowledgeable than I and see what you guys think?? Thanks!
glocksmith

Re: Moving Ammo from Cold Garage to House

Post by glocksmith »

I'm no expert so I'm just taking a guess here. First, if the ammo is airtight, any moisture inside the case would already have been present, so I doubt condensation would be a problem. While I don't think the temperature difference between garage and house is significant enough to make your ammo "sweat" I suppose you could put a small space heater or kerosene heater in the garage and slowly bring the garage temperature up to the upper 60's.

If it were my ammo, I wouldn't worry about it. Bring it in the house, it'll be OK.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

glocksmith wrote:I'm no expert so I'm just taking a guess here. First, if the ammo is airtight, any moisture inside the case would already have been present, so I doubt condensation would be a problem. While I don't think the temperature difference between garage and house is significant enough to make your ammo "sweat" I suppose you could put a small space heater or kerosene heater in the garage and slowly bring the garage temperature up to the upper 60's.

If it were my ammo, I wouldn't worry about it. Bring it in the house, it'll be OK.

Some is in ammo cans, but some is also just boxes of ammo packed in a cardboard box.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

FormerNavy wrote:
glocksmith wrote:I'm no expert so I'm just taking a guess here. First, if the ammo is airtight, any moisture inside the case would already have been present, so I doubt condensation would be a problem. While I don't think the temperature difference between garage and house is significant enough to make your ammo "sweat" I suppose you could put a small space heater or kerosene heater in the garage and slowly bring the garage temperature up to the upper 60's.

Some is in ammo cans, but some is also just boxes of ammo packed in a cardboard box.
The ones in boxes, I'd put them in a Ziploc bags for the transfer. They will be airtight enough to stop the sweating.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

You should see the journey that ammo took from production to wholesaler to retailer before it met the pleasant confines of your garage. ;). It's absolutely good to go.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!