Moon Clip Confusion

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

glocksmith

Moon Clip Confusion

Post by glocksmith »

I'm somewhat new to using moon clips. I have successfully used and fired my moon clip cut revolver a few times now. Looking at an empty moon clip today, I just noticed that there is a rounded side (rounded or beveled edges), and a flat side. This got me wondering which is the front and the back of the clip? Which side faces forward ie. goes into the recessed cut cylinder? And lastly, does it even matter? It seems to me that it should work both ways...and probably will. Hope I'm not asking an idiot question, but I'm just curious why there is a difference in the "cut" of each side.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Curzyk

Re: Moon Clip Confusion

Post by Curzyk »

I suspect that the rounded side is simply the side that the press came from when pressing the moon clip out of a sheet of metal and that the direction it faces for use is not important.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

In my experience there's no "upside down" with moon clips. Just make sure they don't get bent.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Thanks guys, that makes sense. Despite not having a moon clip tool, I've managed to load and unload mine several times by hand without bending it. They're much stronger than their paper thin appearance would suggest.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

You can make a tool from half inch copper pipe. Just cut a "tooth" that's about a third of the circumference to get leverage. Quick internet search can show you how. That's the only thing I use to quickly unload my moonclips without bending them.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Morne wrote:You can make a tool from half inch copper pipe. Just cut a "tooth" that's about a third of the circumference to get leverage. Quick internet search can show you how. That's the only thing I use to quickly unload my moonclips without bending them.
Thanks Morne. Sounds worth giving a try - and probably works every bit as well as the ones Brownell's is selling.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

glocksmith wrote:
Morne wrote:You can make a tool from half inch copper pipe. Just cut a "tooth" that's about a third of the circumference to get leverage. Quick internet search can show you how. That's the only thing I use to quickly unload my moonclips without bending them.
Thanks Morne. Sounds worth giving a try - and probably works every bit as well as the ones Brownell's is selling.
Not sure what gun you have, but if it's a S&W 625 or similar, I got the demooning tool included with each batch of 20 or so moonclips off Amazon. Some were the simple clip style and another was the screwdriver style. If you were closer, I'd say stop off at the Medina show this weekend and I'd give you one.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

Made mine from an old mop handle. Cut it off long enough to hold 6 .357s from clipped 686. Also works fine for .45s from 625.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

dl1911 wrote:Not sure what gun you have, but if it's a S&W 625 or similar, I got the demooning tool included with each batch of 20 or so moonclips off Amazon. Some were the simple clip style and another was the screwdriver style. If you were closer, I'd say stop off at the Medina show this weekend and I'd give you one.
Well, S&W only supplied 3 moon clips along with my revolver, so I definitely need to buy some in bulk. I'll check out Amazon (TBH I hadn't thought of doing that before) and maybe I can get the bonus demooning tool.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

A couple of videos:

Cheap S&W 625 Mooner & De Mooner (.45 cal)

DIY Moonclip Tool

The first one looks to be better choice for your range bag.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

http://ranchproducts.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

https://www.amazon.com/Revolvers-Ultima ... =moon+clip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

15 moon clips and demooning tool (screwdriver style) for $20.99. Stop at a coinstar machine and no fee for taking an amazon gift card.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Sorry, been out of town past 4 days and couldn't check in. Thanks for the links everyone. I'll take a look at them all.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!