Oxidation? Refinish?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mr_kong

Oxidation? Refinish?

Post by mr_kong »

So I have this cheapo Rexio RJ-38 revolver. It wasn't properly cared for or stored correctly. So it appears to have some residue or oxidation that seems pretty stuck on there. Anyway, from the picture, can anyone recommend a course of action without getting too aggressive, e.g. sandpaper ?

Brian D.

Re: Oxidation? Refinish?

Post by Brian D. »

Like you say there's no motivation to put much effort or money into this, right? I'd be tempted to just hit the barrel with a black sharpie marker and call it good to go.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Brass wool and tranny fluid. And leave it that way.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
mr_kong

Post by mr_kong »

Lol, I am willing to put some effort into it! Im not familiar with blue(?) guns. Do I just need to reapply it or something?
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

If it is not worth much, get creative with it. I have an old glenfield .22LR that belonged to my grandfather. It was not well cared for so I put my own woodland camouflage on it using fake foliage for a "template" and some assorted spray paint.

Not saying you should spray it but you could get creative with some cerakote or something. Have fun with it.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

You could try a cold bluing compound. Look up instructions for how to heat that stuff up before applying. And do so in a well ventilated area regardless of using it hot or cold.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

to remove rust and other contaminants from a firearms finish, my gunsmith recommends Clenzoil and 0000 steel wool so that's what I would start with. (do NOT use any steel wool coarser than 0000)

https://www.clenzoil.com/product/field-range-solution/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clenzoil® Field & Range™ is a high quality one-step cleaner, lubricant, and rust preventative for Lock, Stock, and Barrel™. It is effective in removing oils, dirt, copper, lead, and other contaminants. It provides a thin, non-greasy coating that prevents rust, and lubricates all moving parts of fine firearms and sporting equipment. Clenzoil® also nourishes, preserves, and protects wood and leather. It will not harm polymers or other synthetic surfaces. Clenzoil® is great for wood stocks and grips, as well as leather holsters, scabbards, and slings. Not recommended for painted surfaces.
A blued finish is just oxidized steel, you can strip the bluing and reapply it. cold bluing kits are available in most sporting goods stores, and while they work they do not give as nice a finish as hot bluing which would be used by a gunsmith or professional. One of the most important parts of bluing a firearm is the prep work. if you don't prep the firearms really, really, well the results will be less than impressive.

Might be best to just clean it up really well, use some cold bluing to touch it up where it's needed, then keep it oiled.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... d1072.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refinish ... shing.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(steel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I vote for the oil/extra fine steel wool approach, then just maintain it with a bit of oil.

I've worked on much finer guns with that approach, to maintain patina.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I have had excellent results with Flitz. It can be had at most Ace Hardware stores, marine supply stores and of course on Amazon.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788