Alien gear holster and belt first impressions

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

kSetuni

Alien gear holster and belt first impressions

Post by kSetuni »

Hey everyone,

Since I couldn't find too much I figured I would post some info about the aliengear holsters I got an am evaluating. I will update more as I test more.

I'd been debating back and forth on a new holster. I knew that Comp tac makes some great ones as I used to have an older version MTAC. This is the standard I measure IWB holsters against based on experience. I've had a couple variants of paddle holsters, including a blackhawk. However I figured for the price I had to try an alien gear setup since it was about $150 cheaper. Worst case scenario is I would send them back and be out a little shipping.

I got both a cloak tuck 3.0, a cloak mod paddle holster, and a belt.

Cloak tuck 3.0
The finish on the alien gear holster is not as refined as the MTAC. Its also not as stiff, both in the shell and the base. I'm not sure at this point if that's a good or bad thing. It does appear to be a design feature due to their "flexible wings" It also was wider than my MTAC. The mouth is not as flared as much as I like and catches on my springfield Mod 2 unless I get it lined up just right. Even with the neoprene, I have to wear a t shirt under my shirt to prevent irritation. This is disappointing as I usually only wear one shirt at a time. I've since read many poor reviews about their clips losing retention and failing early. One feature that is very concerning is the indentation near the trigger guides your finger more into the trigger vs alongside the frame when drawing. I'm still practicing with this, but it is a concern.

Cloak mod paddle:
I'm still evaluating this. The paddle is alot more flexible than other paddles. This does raise a concern with how easily it will open up and not stay attached. I'm hoping this isn't the case. The shell retains the same concerning feature of the indentation moving your finger to the trigger instead of the slide. A blackhawk doesn't have this and the push button release IMO was a good idea and far superior.

Belt:
Its a bit thick, but I'm not sure how it compares to other gun belts. It doesn't let the cloak tuck clips slide at all I pretty much have to open them to move the holster.

So for now I'm up in the air. While the price is cheaper, it appears to come at the cost of quality.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Alien gear holster and belt first impressions

Post by JustaShooter »

kSetuni wrote:So for now I'm up in the air. While the price is cheaper, it appears to come at the cost of quality.
Pretty much my take as well comparing the AG offerings to other hybrid holsters I've used - and it kind of has to be that way. Price and quality tend to be directly related in a market as saturated as the holster market is.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

An interesting read from Greg Ellifritz's latest #Don'tDigTheRig post:
I’ve written about hybrid holsters before. I don’t like them at all. While they may be comfortable, I’ve seen significant problems with them in my training classes. The hybrids that use some type of neoprene backing will occasionally “lock up” when the shooter is trying to draw. The neoprene is so flexible that pressure from the body pushes through the backer and collapses it up against the gun. The pressure from the shooter’s own fat or muscle tissue drives the gun into the kydex shell and makes it difficult to draw under stress or when shooters attempt to draw while moving.

Again, I know I’m going to get a bunch of “that’s never happened to me” comments. Have you ever tried to draw your gun while sprinting away from your attacker? Most of you haven’t. People don’t know what they don’t know.

The hybrid holsters with the leather backer tend to lose retention over time. The overly large leather sweat shields start to droop. I can’t tell you how many shooters I see who initiate their re-holstering process by pointing the muzzle of their guns at themselves while lifting up a sagging sweat shield that blocks the holster mouth.
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/d ... rig-part-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never experienced this, but then again, I don't typically wear the two hybrids that I have (MTAC and CBST), so they've never seen much use. Over the last 5 years, they've each been worn only a handful of times, so they've remained in near-new condition, and I thus have not seen these issues.

My full-leather EDC holster did have its extended sweat-shield fold-over due to the spare tire that I store my emergency survival provisions in (I can survive for a long time), but I was conscious to never "dig the muzzle" to displace the shield. That's just bad Ju-Ju. :P
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

I have two Alien Gear hybrids, and they do get worn fairly regular. I also have a Comp Tac which is my favorite by far. With that being said, I didn't expect much from the Alien Gear holsters, but I haven't been disappointed by them at all. The holster for the LC9 gets worn the most, and has held up pretty well under use. The one for the M&P doesn't get worn as much, and still looks like new. I've had them for at least a year, maybe two, I can't remember for sure, and would not hesitate to buy another. In fact, I just did, and it was delivered today. Bought a LC9 lefty for my wife for her birthday.

The one thing I like about the Comp Tac is that the leather eventually stays formed to the shape of your body, where the man made materials of the Alien Gear spring back to their original shape. It doesn't affect the comfort, but the Comp Tac seems to be easier to get on with the leather formed.

Would I recommend them? Yes.
Would I recommend the Comp Tac over the Alien Gear? Absolutely!

I know nothing about their belts, so I can't comment on them.

Edit to add....I have used mine during several IDPA style pistol shoots, in the heat of the summer, and had no problems with them letting the pistol be drawn.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The gun belts from Alien Gear are made by Bigfoot Gunbelts (http://gunbelts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The companies are just a few miles apart.

While Bigfoot Gunbelts offers 3 strengths of belt (14oz. leather, 14oz. leather w/ steel, 18oz. leather w/ steel), Alien Gear offers only the 14oz. w/ steel.

If you order a holster and belt at the same time, Alien Gear gives you a $15 discount on the belt. That's how I got mine.

The holster, however, went back. (Cloak Tuck 2.0) It was for my wife and just didn't work for her. Nothing really bad to say about it...for the price.
MyWifeSaidYes
kSetuni

Post by kSetuni »

Yeah I did the two holsters and belt deal. Hard to argue with the price and since I couldn't find much information, or varied fanboys of one or the other I figured it was worth the try.

I wore the IWB today for the first time with a Springfield XD Mod 2 45 while shopping. It was comfortable and I didn't notice that I was wearing it. It was certainly secure. I'm still practicing with drawing because I'm still concerned about the finger indentation design of the holster as mentioned above.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

kSetuni, I don't know if this will help you or not - as it can depend quite a bit on hand/finger-size and flexibility, as well as the size and construct of the gun....

I index very high on the gun. As a right-handed shooter, I like indexing the ejection port with my trigger finger. My hand/finger even allows me to do this with my EDC, an XDm, which has a higher bore-axis. This gives a very solid purchase on the gun either if I should need to use it as a bludgeon/impact weapon up close or if I simply am the klutz that I am and take a fall at full-steam (which I recently did in a class :oops: :P :lol: ).

Here's the late Paul Gomez explaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrEKFweLvUM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is an issue of speed involved, though - In Issue 278 of the Force Science Institute's newsletter, it was documented that shooters (DHS volunteers, IIRC) in their tests took approx. 0.08 to 0.1 seconds later to the shot when indexing from a high position on the frame.

That said, I think it is important to remember that this is an index/register position. In the case of drawing the gun with the intent to fire, the place where you can really shave speed is in committing to the trigger as early as you can, and in this case, as the trigger finger is actively "finding" the trigger and even prepping throughout the draw-stroke, there is no lag in speed.

Vickers, Hackathorn, Craig Douglas (Southnarc, Chuck Haggard - these are just a few names from the industry who favor this high-register/index. It's a very, very robust index.

And again, for those who cannot physically index that high, the above still advocates going as high as you can, and finding a definitive place that offers tactile feedback that you're fully registered.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
northhillguy

Post by northhillguy »

I have had good luck with their holsters so far, have not used their belts at all. I have the clock tuck 3.

But for Belts... I have a beltman and Love it!