Brand new bodyguard 380 issues

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Luv2Camp

Brand new bodyguard 380 issues

Post by Luv2Camp »

Wanted to upgrade for my ruger lcp as I do not like that the slide does not lock back when the mag is empty. Went with the bodyguard 380 with integral Crimson trace laser. Took it out to the range and with hpr 90 grain jhp I shot a box with no issues. With Winchester white box I had several fail to fire on first strike and about 2 out of 6 fail to fire with my reloads using sellier and Beloit primers. Same reloads in my lcp work fine. I installed the Galloway short trigger bar kit with the heavy hammer spring and reduced rate firing pin and block springs and solved the failure to fire issues on both the white box and reloads. When I was back at the range for my second time the laser button on the right side quit working. Called smith and Wesson and was told to send the laser back in and would be about a week turnaround once they received the laser. They had it in their possession last Tuesday. When I called today to check status I was told will be at least 3 weeks turnaround. Not good customer service on a firearm with less than 200 rounds.
pirateguy191

Re: Brand new bodyguard 380 issues

Post by pirateguy191 »

Had two come through classes last year. One had light strikes and FTE's. The other one had a piece of plastic break of inside and completely lock up the slide. I will not recommend them.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Take a look at the new LCP 2.

Slide locks back. Single-action trigger. Better sights. Etc., etc.
MyWifeSaidYes
nurkvinny

Post by nurkvinny »

Sold my wife's. Hated the trigger and a LOT of light strikes on factory ammo that always went bang in other 380s.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

My wife has one that works fine
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Luv2Camp

Post by Luv2Camp »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Take a look at the new LCP 2.

Slide locks back. Single-action trigger. Better sights. Etc., etc.
Wish I saw that a few weeks ago! may be time to get rid of my lcp and get that one. I have the Crimson trace laser on my lcp as well and would hate to have to buy another one for the new lcp though!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Curious if your trigger upgrades will still be in the firearm when you get it back. Sometimes factory service will change triggers back to original parts for 'liability reasons' I guess.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Mine works fine....OFE..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Luv2Camp

Post by Luv2Camp »

Bruenor wrote:Curious if your trigger upgrades will still be in the firearm when you get it back. Sometimes factory service will change triggers back to original parts for 'liability reasons' I guess.
I only sent the laser back to them. Would reinstall the stock parts if I ever had to send the firearm back just to be sure they did not discard my aftermarket parts and install S/W parts back in
robbo

Post by robbo »

I had the front sight fall off my Bodyguard after 20 rounds. Brand new gun had to wait a month to get it back. I traded it for a LCP, the LCP is much easier to shoot (maybe it has something to do with the Hogue grip) anyway, I've had zero issues with it and like it MUCH better. The only thing I dont like about the LCP is the slide does not lock back. But they have just came out with a new model that has the slide which locks back. I havent shot the new one. I like the LCP 2nd Gen I bought. $200 bucks for a reliable pocket pistol is a good deal to me.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

S&W 642/442 - can be had for under $300 brand new, over a 50 years of being proven to work, offered without an internal lock as well. The bugs have been worked out long ago. If it's too hard to work the double action, buy a $30 apex spring kit and call it a day. While yes, slightly bigger, easier to conceal due to shape in more locations.

I wasn't impressed with the Bodyguard lineup of .380's or that revolver 'thing' with plastic from them either when the models were released. My opinion hasn't changed.

This is coming from a guy that reaches for his Beretta 92 most of the time.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Luv2Camp

Post by Luv2Camp »

S&W has no clue! Called today for an update and they said the laser was just logged into the system on 10/18 and would still be at least another week. Mail came about 20 minutes later and my new laser was in the mailbox. At least I have it. Cycled each button about 100 times to be sure it was not going to fail like the first one did. Adjusted the laser against my wall and off to the range tomorrow to make the final adjustment.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I'd be more concerned about having to install aftermarket parts just to light off standard primers than a laser.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Luv2Camp

Post by Luv2Camp »

jeep45238 wrote:I'd be more concerned about having to install aftermarket parts just to light off standard primers than a laser.
Not really concerned as I have shot two boxes of HPR JHP 90g without a single light strike and these are my carry rounds for the gun. Changed up the springs to eliminate the light strikes on my reloads using sellier and Belloit primers. I am going to shoot another box of the HPR and if I have 150 rounds without a light strike I think it should be good. Galloway recommended the HPR as one of the brands that do not suffer from light strikes for the bodyguard.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Maybe I should rephrase - if the design is so razor's edge for being able to make the primer go bang, there's either a problem with the particular pistol, or the design of the gun itself. Having to hunt for a brand that 'doesn't suffer from light strikes' isn't a problem with ammo, it's a problem with the design of the gun if the recommendation is that deeply rooted.

As long as it works, at the end of the day that's what matters. But I'd rather have a bigger cushion for reliability envelopes.

-Important distinction