Help with a few old guns

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tever

Help with a few old guns

Post by Tever »

I have recently been given 4 guns (3 appear to be custom stocks, barrels, etc) and 2 scopes. They have minimal markings and from the research I have done, they appear to be benchrest competition guns from probably the 40s and the calibers no longer readily available. Calibers are 250 savage, 219 wasp, 25 souper and 1 unknown. Most have Mauser style bolts (accept the Remington 722 receiver) and couple have 2 triggers. The lyman scope is in good shape I believe is 20x and have found similar on gunbroker, etc, for around $1000. The Litschert scope has some rust and a broken cross hair. I am hoping someone has some valuable input since I am having trouble with researching them. I am looking to learn a little about them and also figure out a value as they are to be sold to pay unexpected bills.

Thank you in advance. I apologize if the number of pictures causes any issues

Brian D.

Re: Help with a few old guns

Post by Brian D. »

This is intriguing. Wish I was knowledgeable enough to be of assistance.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Do the mauser type receivers have a cutout on the left side for stripper clips ?
(Actually, the cut is for clearance for your thumb, the clip guide is part of the rear recv. bridge)
If so, they are probably German k98 (the Waffenampt is a give away) actions that were built into sporters post WWII. If they have been scrubbed of markings on the recv. ring, it is a guess as to when and who made them.
As for ammo, according to a manual I just looked at, 219 Wasp is made from 30/30 cases, and the 25 Souper can be made from .243 Win.
Dies might be pricey, I didn't look those up.
If you can't id the caliber of the one, find a gunsmith who has cerrosafe, or buy some from Brownell's and make a chamber cast.
Those scopes will have some value to collectors, so don't let someone trade you a BSA or Tasco for them. Leupold VX-3 or Vortex Vipers might close.
Tever

Post by Tever »

JimE wrote:Do the mauser type receivers have a cutout on the left side for stripper clips ?
(Actually, the cut is for clearance for your thumb, the clip guide is part of the rear recv. bridge)
If so, they are probably German k98 (the Waffenampt is a give away) actions that were built into sporters post WWII. If they have been scrubbed of markings on the recv. ring, it is a guess as to when and who made them.
As for ammo, according to a manual I just looked at, 219 Wasp is made from 30/30 cases, and the 25 Souper can be made from .243 Win.
Dies might be pricey, I didn't look those up.
If you can't id the caliber of the one, find a gunsmith who has cerrosafe, or buy some from Brownell's and make a chamber cast.
Those scopes will have some value to collectors, so don't let someone trade you a BSA or Tasco for them. Leupold VX-3 or Vortex Vipers might close.
Thanks for the response. 2 of the Mauser style do have a cutout on the left side. The barrels and stocks are custom and have no magwell, except for the 250 savage. The guns themselves are very heavy except the 250 savage again. I have no real plans to shoot them, just sell or trade if I can come up with a value. Without going into to much detail, they are to help pay bills from a death in the family.

Thanks Again
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Old Benchrest guns are a niche item, you'd probably do best on Gunbroker with the wide audience, when you go
To sell.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

If you live near a Cabelas, they have the Gun Room - the few times I have spoken with the folk that work there I was impressed with their knowledge - I believe they do appraisals.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I had a little time today, and checked Cartridges of the World.

The 250 Savage is pretty well known, introduced in 1915 and popular into the 1970s. The 219 Wasp came out in 1937 and was out of production by 1961. Both were good long-range varmint rounds (the Savage in lighter weights) back in the day.

No mention of the 25 Souper, so a low-volume wildcat.

CotW lists all dimension data, so if you cast the chamber of the unknown rifle, you can use it as a cross-reference.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member