Handgun for getting dirty often

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Handgun for getting dirty often

Post by Cruiser »

M-Quigley wrote:
Cruiser wrote:Makarov!
This would be my choice as well, given all the requirements in the OP.
Took my concealed carry course with one, I have had several and still have one in the safe.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Makarov-Pistol ... v&Cats=978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Makes a Makarov a Makarov

First designed in the 1950s by Russian Nikolai Federovich Makarov, the Makarov is a semi-automatic pistol that was adopted by the Russian military in 1951. Due to its simplicity, affordability, ease of use and stopping power, it remained a standard military weapon till 1991. Today, Makarovs can still be found in Russia, China and Bulgaria, and they continue to be a go-to gun of choice on the Hollywood big screen by appearing in movies like “The Hunt For Red October," “Die Hard With a Vengeance," “Lethal Weapon IV" and multiple James Bond titles. Since they're no longer in production, Makarovs that were originally manufactured in Russia and China are the most sought after by collectors.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

I've got both 1911's and glocks. Haven't detail stripped either one in years. I field strip them, blow em out with brake clean then air, oil em and done. Don't know about a makarov. Never owned one and probably won't. Well, can't really say that. I was a dyed in the wool 1911 man till I bought my 1st glock.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
BadCrosshairDay

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

I'm surprised at all the makarov suggestions. I have one clone, and it is my favorite gun. Makes no sense to carry compared to a glock if available, but I carried it briefly before that. It is very picky with ammo, does not feed any hollow point reliably that I've tried (rounds seem to stick on feed ramp and slide does not go forward all the way). The ammo that it does feed needs a second strike about 2-3% of the time. Might test again with new springs in case that is the issue. Since it is my favorite gun and not particularly durable, I don't bring it to competitions or shoot it a ton, and it won't be used for the role in the OP. I'd get another makarov for that and try not to get as attached :D

Have those of you with makarovs found hp ammo to be an issue? How would the bersa thunder 380 compare, if you have any experience with that? It definitely handles hp better than my mak clone, and the design seems similar.

I do really like the design, and it just so happens that the safety works the way I'm used to.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I had (until recently) a Russian Mak chambered in .380. Got it new in 1992, and after polishing the feed ramp it ate everything - it was finicky before that. I did run across a few magazines that just did not feed correctly. One thing to consider, the machining on some Maks is a bit rough. If you really look you might find a burr or three that can cause issues. http://www.makarov.com/tech.html
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Mak torture test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAEbbhRJNYw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just how reliable is the Makarov pistol? I take a Bulgarian Makarov out and do my best to cause a malfunction by running over it with a Jeep in the mud, throwing it in a muddy pond, burying it under stand and even firing it under water. See what it takes to kill the Makarov!
Abandon ye all HOPE!