A Discussion of the Perfect Trunk Gun?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

A Discussion of the Perfect Trunk Gun?

Post by Mr. Glock »

Let's say you wanted to add a trunk gun to your car, in case you found yourself in a situation where you were heavily outnumbered and might need to defend yourself/car passengers with the car disabled.

Criteria:
High Ammo Capacity (higher than a shotgun)
Reliable
Fairly Tidy in Dimensions and Weight
Not too costly (it might be stolen or lost)

Thoughts?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
TJW815

Re: A Discussion of the Perfect Trunk Gun?

Post by TJW815 »

Plenty of low end ARs on the market that would fit that role well.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

TJW815 wrote:Plenty of low end ARs on the market that would fit that role well.
Ditto AK platform rifles. In fact, that may be a better choice as they tend to be less bothered by lack of maintenance, debris, etc. that a trunk gun would likely be subjected to.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

http://www.iacshotguns.com/97w.html

I know I'm breaking the OP's rules...he said "high capacity" and more than a shotgun. But the above is what I'd like to have in my trunk. Holds six rounds of 00-Buckshot rounds and can be slam fired by holding down the trigger and vigorously working the "corn cob" forend. At that point it becomes a "scattergun"...no matter how many BG's confronting you...they will scatter when you let it rip...assuming they are still standing :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I'd look at the AK with a couple-few 30 round magazines. Easy to hold, load, shoot and get outta danger.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

glocksmith wrote:http://www.iacshotguns.com/97w.html

I know I'm breaking the OP's rules...he said "high capacity" and more than a shotgun. But the above is what I'd like to have in my trunk. Holds six rounds of 00-Buckshot rounds and can be slam fired by holding down the trigger and vigorously working the "corn cob" forend. At that point it becomes a "scattergun"...no matter how many BG's confronting you...they will scatter when you let it rip...assuming they are still standing :D
Within 30 yards I would take a shotgun over any non automatic long gun in a shootout.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

AK or AR, hands down. Either will function with minimal maintenance. The AR has a nack for being more customizable - but being a trunk gun, iron sights are probably all you need for minimal investment.

I have a beaten, battered, and broken carry-on-sized roll-a-board suitcase which I am slowly converting to an AR-platform discreet carrying case which will likely primarily stay in my trunk. Unfortunately, being 22" top to bottom, I can't fit an assembled 16" barrelled AR in there. But if upper and lowers are separated, it fits great with lots of room for magazines, a pistol, and hearing protection.

Does anybody know what a good foam or similar material would be useful for this? Something like those high-end pelican cases?
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Some comments from the OP:

Shotgun: The problem with the shotgun is low on-board ammo capacity, the time to reload and the overall bulk of the ammo. Not that it can't be effective, you just might get caught with your pants down when trying to reload in a mass dis-gruntlement event.

AK: Which cheap AK? The low-end AKs don't always live up to the reliability reputation, one should choose carefully. Low-end ARs still use a lot of common items to higher-end ARs. But AKs can really vary in parts quality.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Mr. Glock wrote:Some comments from the OP:Shotgun: The problem with the shotgun is low on-board ammo capacity, the time to reload and the overall bulk of the ammo. Not that it can't be effective, you just might get caught with your pants down when trying to reload in a mass dis-gruntlement event.
I'd say that the shotgun is superior to all others at close range...or more precisely at self-defense ranges. If you have to do a reload after emptying a shotgun...chances are you are both outnumbered and outgunned. During the Civil War, Grape and canister proved extremely effective at taking out entire rows of soldiers. A buckshot loaded shotgun is equally effective...albeit on a smaller scale.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

AR pistol or AK pistol.

I'd store it just like a long-gun to avoid the legal hassle. Yeah, I know. It ain't gonna matter when it's WRoL. But I still might have to deal with it if I get pulled over, and on the side of the road is just about the worst place to debate the fact that a pistol isn't a rifle.

I'd go low priced, just in case it gets stolen. But that's really only because I'm poor.

Quality?

I don't care - I'd go and prove this n of 1 to myself. I could buy a second hand junker and have it luck out and be the most durable and reliable gun I've ever owned, or I could go out and spend thousands on a high-end production or even custom gun that just won't run reliably. I don't care how much I spend, I need to prove this n of 1, to myself, period.

Why not the shotgun?

Because at longer ranges, the dispersion of pellets become a potential liability, while at closer ranges, while it typically has superior terminal performance on that singular target that I'm aiming at, it's not the "scattergun" that Hollywood has us believe it to be. With both onboard ammo capacity, reloading considerations, as well as recoil control all being affected by the size of the weapon (why the AR/AK pistol? because it's so much easier to handle a smaller weapon, whether it be inside the vehicle or in exiting the vehicle), the AK/AR are going to present considerably more favorable target-transitions than that compact shotgun will, in addition to easier manipulations.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
BadCrosshairDay

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

I would want a pistol caliber carbine that can share mags with my handgun. There aren't any great options for glock right now, either the sub2k or a glock mag ar.

TSiWRX wrote:AR pistol
I'd agree if it was stored in the cabin. If stored in the trunk, in my car that would mean I'm accessing the rifle from outside, so having a stock would outweigh the compactness.

Mr. Glock wrote: The problem with the shotgun is low on-board ammo capacity, the time to reload and the overall bulk of the ammo. Not that it can't be effective, you just might get caught with your pants down when trying to reload in a mass dis-gruntlement event.
This can be somewhat mitigated by switching to the handgun at those times. I'd still prefer a rifle though: I've had orders of magnitude more malfunctions with shotguns than rifles. Those malfunctions could be all my fault, or that of an old shotgun, but I'd still prefer a rifle for that reason. On the other hand, if what I had at the time was a shotgun (or an AR pistol), I'd be very happy with it.
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

ArmedAviator wrote:AK or AR, hands down. Either will function with minimal maintenance. The AR has a nack for being more customizable - but being a trunk gun, iron sights are probably all you need for minimal investment.

I have a beaten, battered, and broken carry-on-sized roll-a-board suitcase which I am slowly converting to an AR-platform discreet carrying case which will likely primarily stay in my trunk. Unfortunately, being 22" top to bottom, I can't fit an assembled 16" barrelled AR in there. But if upper and lowers are separated, it fits great with lots of room for magazines, a pistol, and hearing protection.

Does anybody know what a good foam or similar material would be useful for this? Something like those high-end pelican cases?
Try
http://www.carolinacustomfoam.com/
They will precut it to whatever size you specify.

I am using their foam in multiple gun cases and tool boxes, works fine and seems to stand up well to the use I put it through. (ymmv)
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I have nothing but good things to say about my AR pistol, except that I traded it last weekend for a car.

(The car sucks and I reaaalllyyyy miss that pistol !! :cry: Guess I'll have to build another one. :wink: )

The way to go with an AR or an AK pistol is to get a holster/sheath/scabbard so you can mount it where you want it to be.

I do not fear a LEO having an issue with whether my pistol is actually a "pistol" or not, but I understand the caution. I tend to smile and talk quietly when I use words like "harassment" and "false arrest". :twisted: (Heh. That Captain in Mt. Gilead really got nervous when I used "harassment" in a sentence 8) )

The beauty of the pistol, for me, is that you can have a loaded magazine IN the firearm, wherever you have stored it in the vehicle, if you also have your CHL. Trying to dig around for a misplaced magazine will just waste time.

Due to bumps, jolts and jarring, and the possibility of a crash, I was not keeping a round chambered.

You can make any gun a trunk/truck gun, but the story has always been that you use your handgun to fight your way to a rifle. A rifle-caliber pistol is a very nice compromise, based on Ohio's current laws, IMHO.
MyWifeSaidYes
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I have nothing but good things to say about my AR pistol, except that I traded it last weekend for a car.

(The car sucks and I reaaalllyyyy miss that pistol !! :cry: Guess I'll have to build another one. :wink: )
Next time, build a car? :P :lol:

----
BadCrosshairDay wrote:I would want a pistol caliber carbine that can share mags with my handgun. There aren't any great options for glock right now, either the sub2k or a glock mag ar.

TSiWRX wrote:AR pistol
I'd agree if it was stored in the cabin. If stored in the trunk, in my car that would mean I'm accessing the rifle from outside, so having a stock would outweigh the compactness.
Good points, both.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

One caveat: You want something that is, as much as possible, impervious to rust. I learned this the hard way. Even if your trunk is well sealed from water, Ohio weather - with constant changes in temperature - causes a lot of moisture condensation in the trunk. That condensed moisture will be drawn to the steel on the gun, even if the trunk is otherwise dry, and even if the gun is kept in a gun case.

Just a word to the wise.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.