First revolver - head's spinning with model numbers

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jeep45238

Re: First revolver - head's spinning with model numbers

Post by jeep45238 »

The more I handle these at the shops, the more and more the sight picture comes up as a factor more than moon clips for me. Previously the only pistol I've had with sights this....interesting is a P3AT. While the 60 and 640 offer sight pictures that are useable for me, the weight makes them non-contenders.

The MP models mentioned before are just too much juice, and I noticed that some J frames have pinned front sights, of which there's a fair amount of aftermarket options to replace. My most recent findings is the 360J model - scandium frame with a carbon steel (or later stainless) cylinder, with the pinned front sight.

I don't have a problem removing the flag's nub, or shaping/removing the hammer spur. Anybody have inputs on this little bugger?

http://www.smga.com/p-101379-sw-160360- ... lk-fs.aspx
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

With the grips shown it would be easier to shoot, harder to pocket carry.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I've been looking at the Pachy Compac or similar grips. I know it'll take a few iterations to find the goldilocks grip, but they can be easily changed. The revolver itself can't.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/14553 ... bber-black" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It should allow me to use the front sights for pinned smiths like this one :

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/72875 ... nned-front" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I really hate this. After reading a well written article, a 50 page thread on the SW 640 Pro with some vetted old school cops/armorers, etc, and plenty of time to think critically about this behind the wheel for the last two weeks....it's making me second guess a few things for my next purchase. For me, I've come to realize my J will probably be appendix, weak side, and while in a vehicle - so weight for pocket carry doesn't matter to much as I was originally focused on. But sights and control-ability that comes with that extra weight.

Time like this I'm glad I only have minor adult-ADHD and don't need meds.

-Important distinction
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Attempting to not sound like Yoda here, but...there is no perfect J frame for everyone. Perhaps a perfect one for you. One of my early revolver mentors favored a 3" model 37. Too much barrel for my pocket, but he always wore work pants that easily accommodated that thing up front. He chopped the hammer and got rid of the single action notch. Those mods made much sense to me.

You'll get it figured out, but maybe not on the first try. Oops, Yoda say "Do or do not, there is no 'try'".

********************************************************************************
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Absolutely agreed, and I have no problem with picking up a MP340 or 360J as mentioned earlier in addition later down the road. That'll lead to a trainer/belt, and a dedicated pocket. I haven't had hebbie jeebies from doing this Uber deal, as I work mostly in a college town, but things can happen. And a Beretta on the side is only comforting if it can be deployed past the seatbelt, shirt, and fighting passengers in the immediate area (and I drive a stick, so another complication). A weak side J frame is much easier to get out, and get myself out of the car/situation, and provide access to the Beretta if needed.

So...search is still on. Now if someone would just buy my Benchmade to help fund this, I'd be doing much better :)

-Important distinction
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

The beauty of the J Frame is that you get a wheel gun in good caliber in a very tidy package.

But, if you are thinking of going to a steel J, you have much better semi-auto options for the weight. Face it, 5 rounds was great at one time, not today. A Glock 26 isn't much bigger and is not really heavier than a steel J frame minus ammo, and has double the capacity plus one round.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

While the capacity is limited, the physical shape lends itself better to pocket carry (maybe with some particular pants and a belt), being a trainer I can actually shoot for an alloy J frame, but the one of the big reasons for a revolver over a semi in this case is the potential for contact shots. Bearing that the only small buggers I've had like this in the past had a laser due to non-existent sights (P3AT), having usable sights, a longer ejector rod, in addition to moons is a big draw to the 640. It would allow me to get competent with a J, while still having the door open for a standard 642/442/360J down the road for pocket.

A semi with the muzzle pressed against the target isn't going to do too well after the first shot, if that even happens. For me this is a very niche role for vehicle use. It is unlikely to completely replace my Beretta while in the vehicle, so there's still going to be 16 rounds of 9mm that I'm comfortable using out to 50-75 yards.

Another reason why is I've come to appreciate double action triggers over the last year, and am not too comfortable with a sticker fired pistol for an appendix carry position.

-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I think pictures kind of do this better than my words - regarding snag free, easy deployment in vehicle, you don't want something sticking above your hand much at all, and if there's squared off/blocky sections they will likely hinder at some point in the game. Those sections tend to act like a wall to catch on things. I know the pictures are different hand grips/etc, but it demonstrates the point quite well I think.

I don't think this is much of a concern for a vast majority of daily things, but when dealing with cover garments, center consoles, seat belts, and passengers, it becomes a bit of an interesting thing to consider. I realized last week that getting the Beretta into action in the vehicle is pretty much a no-go. It'll be at least as important, if not more so, if a pocket comes into play.

Maybe this is why the snubbie isn't dead; it's just taken 10 years around pistols to realize it.

-Important distinction
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I kind of wish the Duluth Trading Company could be convinced to have a go at designing clothes for us gun carrier types. I have a feeling their idea of a front pants pocket would be more in line with ours than what the competition makes.

OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

A few thoughts:

don't go too light. The recoil builds up. I know one experienced fellow who bought a Scandium revolver and was afraid to even test fire it!

I have a 3" Taurus 605. It's one of my easiest to carry and conceal guns. I believe it is 23 oz and that is a good compromise weight. I can shoot hot loads through it without a problem. My wife bought a pretty wood gripped Ladysmith. It has more felt recoil with 38s than my 605 does with 357s.

If a particular model comes in both 38 and 357, buy the 357. The weight is the same and the resale will be higher. Of course the 357 version can shoot 38s as well as 357s.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Looked at a 642, 638, 642 performance center, and a 360j today. Went with the 360 J for being able to chance the front sight. It strikes me as a budget MP revolver after the lock and hammer spur are addressed. Snagged pink boot grips because they were on sale, and you've gotta be comfortable with yourself to rock pink grips on a black revolver in matches. Soon will be a new front sight.

-Important distinction