S&W Bodyguard defective-Delayed again

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

robbo

S&W Bodyguard defective-Delayed again

Post by robbo »

Hello all, good site with a lot of info....here my {inappropriate language}, kind of a 2 part story, but wantedto see if anyone else has ran into these issues...
Bought the Bodyguard, 3 days later took it out to shoot (shot 30 rounds) got home, took it out to clean and the front site was so loose it damn near fell off the slide!
couldnt believe it...so the fiasco started with sending it back to S&W after only having the gun 4 days! S&W says 4-6 weeks to get it back. (yeah Im ticked off about the entire fiasco)
So....since its going to take up to 6 weeks to get back I decided I was going to purchase another handgun. When it came time for the background check, they asked me if I know a 'so and so' The same guy as when I purchased the Bodyguard...I then was put on a delay....again. I was also delayed on the first purchase. Not that its a big deal, but one would think that since they just checked my background 4-5 DAYS PRIOR, they would already have me in their NICS system as a pass. Anyway, I really think its odd that this 'so and so' name question came up both times during the background check and its the same guy both times and getting delayed.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? The S&W site is b.s. has me wondering about their true quality....the same guy popping up both times during the background check has me a little worried. I dont know who this guy is, but they asked me and I think its no coincidence it was the same guy both times.

Thanks for taking time to read and any replies/info/suggestions to avoid this in the future..
Brian D.

Re: S&W Bodyguard defective-Delayed again

Post by Brian D. »

The NICS check system has its quirks and flaws. You're far from the only one who's been delayed for whatever reason. Some felon with a similar name, also lives in the Cincinnati area? (Yeah I know that using our social security number should negate such problems, but..doesn't always work that way.)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
robbo

Post by robbo »

felon? in the nati?......hmmm
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

By law NICS only keeps the info for a brief period of time, I can't remember off the top of my head how long, but certainly no longer than 72 hours. If you want them to keep it longer, send a Voluntary Appeal File packet in, and you'll get a PIN number to keep this from happening again.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
robbo

Post by robbo »

SeanC wrote:By law NICS only keeps the info for a brief period of time, I can't remember off the top of my head how long, but certainly no longer than 72 hours. If you want them to keep it longer, send a Voluntary Appeal File packet in, and you'll get a PIN number to keep this from happening again.
Thanks for the info. I was reading about this PIN or UPIN number, but couldnt find a form to fill out. I was even on the FBI site. I was also told by the FFL employee that if I obtain my CCW that I wouldn be delayed anymore. Is this true? if so, I'll just take my test (I intended to take it anyway) but I wouldnt need to apply for a PIN number if I had my CCW ....or would I?
Thanks for the help if you have a link to apply for the UPIN number would be appreciated.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

robbo wrote:
SeanC wrote:By law NICS only keeps the info for a brief period of time, I can't remember off the top of my head how long, but certainly no longer than 72 hours. If you want them to keep it longer, send a Voluntary Appeal File packet in, and you'll get a PIN number to keep this from happening again.
Thanks for the info. I was reading about this PIN or UPIN number, but couldnt find a form to fill out. I was even on the FBI site. I was also told by the FFL employee that if I obtain my CCW that I wouldn be delayed anymore. Is this true?
According to reports on this forum, a big fat...maybe.

********************************************************************************
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:
robbo wrote:
Thanks for the info. I was reading about this PIN or UPIN number, but couldnt find a form to fill out. I was even on the FBI site. I was also told by the FFL employee that if I obtain my CCW that I wouldn be delayed anymore. Is this true?
According to reports on this forum, a big fat...maybe.
To expand that answer a bit, it depends on the dealer - some will accept a CHL issued March 23, 2015 or later in place of calling in a NICS check for a firearm purchase, others will not. If they don't, and continue calling in the NICS check, you'll likely continue to experience the same problems.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

That's only partially what I meant, JustaShooter. The NICS has delayed CHL holders trying to buy guns, according to info shared here and elsewhere. Sometimes the system glitches.

JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

FFL's are never told why a person is delayed or denied....privacy laws and all that.
I "think" it has to do with the personal information of the individual being very close to that of not-so-nice person.( but I have seen a couple of times where the buyer may have had his bath water being boiled, he just hadn't been shoved in the tub yet.)
I have also seen people with high security clearance, (according to the individual) get delayed if they were in the midst having their annual review being done.
Myself, since my CHL was issued before 2015, I use my SSN. I hold a C&R FFL, they already have my number so to speak. Haven't been delayed so far.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:That's only partially what I meant, JustaShooter. The NICS has delayed CHL holders trying to buy guns, according to info shared here and elsewhere. Sometimes the system glitches.
I guess I misunderstood. Getting a CHL has zero effect on NICS checks performed after the CHL is issued, so yes, NICS can easily return a "Delay" for someone with a CHL when they attempt to purchase a firearm.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!