help me recommend a loaner training firearm

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bombarde32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

help me recommend a loaner training firearm

Post by Bombarde32 »

Hi everybody. A family member wants to take a concealed carry class and wants to borrow a pistol from me. (Ideally, I would encourage them to own and be familiar with their own gear.) However, they'd like to borrow a pistol for the class and then shop later. Of my modest collection, any recommendations on which I might suggest? Student is a man, moderate/average hands.

The student is fairly new to pistols. I would spend at least an hour instructing on safety and the operation of the weapon. For the class, I am leaning away from the smaller pistols, thinking that the sight picture might be easier on the larger ones. However, I realize it's not a bullseye competition and there will be no 'concealment' per se at the course.

Choices with my observations:

SIG P226 9mm (not super to conceal but great at the range)
SIG P239 9mm (easy to conceal and great at the range)
SIG P232 .380 (heavy for its size; snappy; potential for slide bite)
S&W M&P Shield 9mm w/safety (straightforward and low recoil; ok sights at close range)
Beretta Cheetah .22 LR (no recoil to speak of and great sights)

Thanks for opinions and anything I failed to consider!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: help me recommend a loaner training firearm

Post by Mr. Glock »

The Shield is extremely popular for a reason, and you don't have the DA/SA of the other guns for a newbie to contend with. The less to worry about, the better. And easy to shoot.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Bombarde:

Well, avoid the .380's.... Recoil is usually nasty for newbies.

I have the Shield in .40 S&W. A little nasty with factory loads, but comfortable to shoot with range reloads. The 9mm version should be very comfortable.

(I have an M&P 9C - a pussycat.... Gave it to my daughter - it's almost as mild as and old S&W M39, which is more or less a copy of the Colt Commander in 9mm.)

My preference is the M&P series, but a Shield 9 may be the best "new user" gun. A 9C is a little less concealable, but only a little.

Warn them: .357's and/or "+P" or "++P" loads are mostly just bragging rights at the range. (The 9mm +P does have some advantages v.s. winter clothing.) Same for lasers and night sights. The former may be a slight training plus, but it's still bragging rights. DO NOT even think about a .357 snubbie :D.)

For a bedside gun, a .38 revolver with a 4" barrel may be found at a very reasonable price used. Foolproof more or less.

Painful as it is for me ( :D ), any Glock in 9mm or more, and NOT a "subcompact", would likely be a great choice, too. Longer barrels have advantages in all but concealment, and generally conceal OK, too - hiding the grip is more important.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Sig P226
MyWifeSaidYes
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Of the choices available, for a CC class, I would say the Sig P226 with an OWB holster.
They are working on proficiency, and safety in the class, not concealment, or trying to handle handling recoil from compact or subcompact firearms.
You can take them to the range to try all the small firearms after their class.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

^ this ^

I agree with Bruenor for the same reasons.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Bombarde32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Bombarde32 »

Thanks for all the good and valid points. I think I'll take the P226 and Shield, explain the pros and cons of each, and let him fire a few rounds to see if he has an opinion on which feels the most comfortable.

Have a great weekend, all!