Warning: Do not dry fire a Kel-Tec PF-9

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Warning: Do not dry fire a Kel-Tec PF-9

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

I consider thoughtful, planned, dry fire exercises very important to developing accuracy and I didn't know this could be a serious problem for KelTec PF9s (I'm not surprised, just hadn't heard it). I just picked up Claude Werner's Indoor Range Practice Sessions eBook and saw this line:
NOTE: If your pistol is a KelTec PF-9, you must do this drill using the dummy round method. The gun’s frame can be damaged with as little as one hammer fall on an empty chamber. (Ask me how I know this. :) )Pistols such as Glock, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Beretta, SCCY, etc. will not be damaged by a moderate amount of practice with an empty chamber.
I checked online and there are several people reporting problems with very little dry fire. The PF-9 manual does say:
Do not dry fire your pistol, doing so can damage the firing pin and extractor spring screw.
JonasM

Re: Warning: Do not dry fire a Kel-Tec PF-9

Post by JonasM »

Same for the P11. I read that, and immediately ordered some Snap Caps from Amazon.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Huh. Sonuvagun.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I met Claude Werner last year and we communicate via social media now. He does a LOT of dry fire. And in spite of what the linked article indicates, he's had to send his SCCY back for repairs at least twice.

It gives me pause when any centerfire gun can't be dry fired without worrying about breakage.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Sure, most center-fire firearms can be dry-fired without damage, although there are exceptions as the article notes, and still others say in the manuals that dry fire is OK but to use snap cps for extensive dry firing. Regardless, is there a reason *not* to use dummy rounds or snap caps? Snap caps are cheap insurance. Other than dry firing for a function check after reassembling, I always use snap caps.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote: Regardless, is there a reason *not* to use dummy rounds or snap caps?
I dry fire every day, including when on vacation. Always seem to forget to bring along snap caps. Also, I don't own them in some calibers, and too cheap to buy any.

Maybe these are lame excuses but that's how I feel.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Double3

Post by Double3 »

Warning: Do not buy a Kel-Tec PF-9
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I bought a PF9 in 2005. Maybe 2006. Nice carry gun, I really liked it - until a friend was firing it at the range and it went click instead of bang and a small metal piece fell out of the trigger assy. It would not fire after that. I had to ship it to the factory on my dime, they had it 6 weeks and when returned they would not be specific on what happened or what they did. Told me to not dry fire it. (Which I had not done) Finally got them to admit it was a new (revision) gun with the same serial number. Over on KTOG, there was at that time a post with the revision list of PF9's - there were dozens of revisions. (Engineering upgrades?) That experience kinda dampened my enthusiasm for KelTec. But I would like to get my hands on a PMR-30.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788