Blazer Brass...

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Blazer Brass...

Post by gaptrick »

Anyone here know why on the box of Blazer Brass 115g FMJ 9mm says NOT to use in a ported barrel?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Blazer Brass...

Post by Mr. Glock »

http://blog.joehuffman.org/2010/08/18/n ... ement-use/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thin jacketed bulltets, it appears.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I may or may not know someone that took a defensive pistol class with a ported Glock. He may or may not have had pieces of jacket coming through the ports and embedding in his flesh.

Maybe.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Thanks all. Brother recently picked up a ported Shield with ammo and asked me. I didn't know so threw it here. Wonder if the reduced flip is worth the risk...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
GlockMan27

Post by GlockMan27 »

gaptrick wrote:Wonder if the reduced flip is worth the risk...
pirateguy191 wrote:I may or may not know someone that took a defensive pistol class with a ported Glock. He may or may not have had pieces of jacket coming through the ports and embedding in his flesh.

Maybe.
Pretty sure if I got an answer like that I know it would not be "worth the risk" to me.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

There's always some danger with hot gases and bullet slivers coming through compensator ports. You want to avoid firing those guns from retention positions, and maybe wear long sleeves. Eye protection is a given with ANY firearm use, hope I didn't need to throw that in.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Mr. Glock wrote:http://blog.joehuffman.org/2010/08/18/n ... ement-use/

Thin jacketed bulltets, it appears.
I was running some Blazer brass rounds last year for some training. The target looked like I had been peppering it with shot due to all the shredding of the copper jackets.

I cannot imagine using those rounds in a ported barrel.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I've always had good luck with Blazer Brass as a training round.

And I've fired it from a ported G19.

But, and this is a key but, I've never fired Blazer Brass through a ported barrel with the gun close to my body.

(Luckily, someone keyed me in on that prior to pulling a PirateGuy). :mrgreen:
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

If the bullets are shedding jacket material, that's going to really screw up your accuracy.

This may explain some of the comments I've gotten from gun shop dwellers in the past about handguns only being good for shots at 10 to 15 feet. I assumed they didn't know how to shoot, but their cheap ammo could be the cause.

I vote both. :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Mr. Glock wrote:I've always had good luck with Blazer Brass as a training round.

And I've fired it from a ported G19.

But, and this is a key but, I've never fired Blazer Brass through a ported barrel with the gun close to my body.

(Luckily, someone keyed me in on that prior to pulling a PirateGuy). :mrgreen:
I don't own a ported gun but was with someone that does. He may or may not make really nice holsters.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

I found the same notice on federal 9mm. I emailed their customer service and they had responded with the same as said here. The jacket will fragment. Also not good to use in suppressed weapons from what they said.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote: This may explain some of the comments I've gotten from gun shop dwellers in the past about handguns only being good for shots at 10 to 15 feet. I assumed they didn't know how to shoot, but their cheap ammo could be the cause.
Yeah, no....it's not the ammo, at least not Blazer Brass.

Plenty of pistol shooters I know (not myself, sadly, I have a consistency issue that I'm still working on :oops: ) consistently ring torso-size steel out at 100 yards with this ammo, using but a stock Glock, M&P, or the like, with typical sights.

My 10/10/10 score is usually in the mid to upper 90s, and putting this ammo in my gun doesn't seem to affect that either way.

People love to blame their ammo for their own problems with marksmanship fundamentals. :D

Yeah, it sheds jacket, that's for-sure. And yes, that's definitely a valid concern for those shooting with ported barrels.

But it's also not going to make a difference to a shooter who is a poor marksman, printing shots downrange. :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:If the bullets are shedding jacket material, that's going to really screw up your accuracy.

This may explain some of the comments I've gotten from gun shop dwellers in the past about handguns only being good for shots at 10 to 15 feet. I assumed they didn't know how to shoot, but their cheap ammo could be the cause.

I vote both. :wink:
Allen already said this but, um, negatory, ghost rider. I've spent enough time at ranges to have a book of funny stories about the subject of marksmanship. You only have to hear lines like "Man, this .25 ammo is so weak, it won't even go through the paper!" (full size B-27 type silhouette target at 15 feet) before realizing what's up.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

That's not just paper, that's bulletproof paper!

I am often frustrated by an invisible force-field that seem to surround my intended POI.......
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio