5 Things to Check in your CC Ammo

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

5 Things to Check in your CC Ammo

Post by techmike »

Saw this article, and while it may seem obvious to some, it is good info for shooters new and old.

5 Things to Check in your Concealed Carry Ammo
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Brian D.

Re: 5 Things to Check in your CC Ammo

Post by Brian D. »

Those are good. Let me add a tip for double action revolver shooters, at least when on the range.

After loading and closing the cylinder, pull the hammer back enough that the cylinder will turn freely. Give it a rotation all the way around, to make sure there's not something about one of the rounds binding up the action.

Obviously, do this in a safe direction. If your revolver has a totally internal hammer, the only way to free up the cylinder is by pulling the trigger part of the way back. YES, THAT BREAKS ONE OF THE FOUR RULES, putting one's finger on the trigger without intending to fire the gun. So, if because of that, you don't want to check for positive cylinder rotation, I get it. But at least think about trying this technique while at the range, muzzle pointed at the backstop. Occasionally you'll find the cylinder hangs up a little bit. Perhaps a high primer, or dirt under the extractor star or cartridge rim.

Personally, I always check for a free turning cylinder every time I load a wheel gun. One of my J-frames has an internal hammer, so yes I stage the trigger back enough to unlock the cylinder. I use my index finger in front of the trigger, and the tip of a finger from my other hand BEHIND the trigger so it can't travel far enough to cock and then release the hammer. Not even close to it. And, my muzzle is always pointed in the safest direction possible while doing any sort of "administrative" gun handling like this, or press checking a semi auto's chamber, etc.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.