Help with pistol selection.

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Help with pistol selection.

Post by techmike »

Starting to shop for youngest daughter's first hangun. She is a lefty, any recomendations?
Thanks!
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Help with pistol selection.

Post by Chuck »

Rent before you buy is my recommendation
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ This. +infinity.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I'd look for a pistol with no safety so no worries about ambidextrous features. My Springfield XD Mod 2 doesn't have a regular safety, just a grip safety, but also has ambidextrous mag release. The grip is a little smaller then most double stack 9mm's so I found it easier and more comfortable to hold. YMMV.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

Is she an adult?

Does she have experience/training with handguns?

Generally I reccommend full size .22s as 1st pistol to gain skill and confidence. 2nd pistol to be centerfire.

Maybe something smaller/lighter if she is petite.
Maybe straight to centerfire if she's already competant.

Good Luck!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Lots of good advice already, and I absolutely have to agree with the "rent it and try it first" and "start with a .22 if it is a new/novice handgun shooter". I'd be looking carefully at the Ruger SR22 (has an ambidextrous manual thumb safety/decocking lever and ambidextrous magazine release) or S&W M&P 22 (ambidextrous safety, reversible magazine release) if I were in the market today.

For a center-fire, it also depends on the intended purpose - will this just be a range gun, home defense gun, or is it going to be (or will eventually become) a carry gun?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Ruger SR22.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Thanks for all of the replies! She is conversant with firearms. I did start her older sister with a 22, and she graduated to a .357/.38spl. Started to do the same here, but totally forgot the southpaw issue. Because of current events we will probably bypass the .22 and start with centerfire. It will be a combination range gun/home defense and most likely a future carry gun. In keeping it simple, I will definitely check out the XD Mod 2. Must confess I have never had any experience with left handed firearms. Have seen pistols with ambi controls, but never paid much attention.
Thanks again!
Mike
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Never seen a left handed Glock..My Son is left handed and has carried a Glock for 18 years ...he's a police officer...Qualified Top Gun in his class....with a Glock..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Carmen brings up a good point - many lefties learn to manipulate right-handed controls rather than having to rely on having a firearm with ambi- or left-handed controls. Something to consider.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

techmike wrote:I will definitely check out the XD Mod 2. Must confess I have never had any experience with left handed firearms. Have seen pistols with ambi controls, but never paid much attention.
With the double-stack XD, XDm, and XD Mod.2 lines, the combination of the grip safety - which when enabled prevents the slide from being able to travel fully to the rear - and the left-of-frame only slide-stop/release can make single-handed manipulations awkward for left-handed shooters, particularly single-handed manipulations.

If this handgun is to be a defensive weapon, I would recommend that its intended owner attempt such single-handed manipulations prior to purchase, to be sure that he/she can execute the techniques properly.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I'd recommend getting a traditional double action with a decocker only if you can find one, decocker/saftey after that (make sure taking safety off after holstering is a habit).

It allows familitarity with the double action revolver shots, and if that becomes mastered the single action shots afterwards are cake walk. It allows thumbing over the hammer to prevent discharges while holstering. It requires a more deliberate motion for the first shot, which inherintly reduces negligent discharge possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP8F_cwotM8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I fully agree with this video.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Of course, there's always the Charter Arms Southpaw .38 revolver. It opens on the opposite side, thumb latch is on the right side, and even the rifling is opposite. Just another option to consider.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

A 9mm.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

jeep45238 wrote:I'd recommend getting a traditional double action with a decocker only if you can find one, decocker/saftey after that (make sure taking safety off after holstering is a habit).

It allows familitarity with the double action revolver shots, and if that becomes mastered the single action shots afterwards are cake walk. It allows thumbing over the hammer to prevent discharges while holstering. It requires a more deliberate motion for the first shot, which inherintly reduces negligent discharge possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP8F_cwotM8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I fully agree with this video.
I know this is becoming popular right now, but there is a reason why the pure double-action striker-fired guns became popular. Extra steps / different first to second shot / mucking with the decocker / long first trigger pull adds up to complexity. And complexity is the enemy of fluency.

If you can't holster a pistol properly, work on holstering. You want to carry a gun pointed at your junk, go ahead. But realize that, for most people, the time gained by appendix carry is negated by taking longer on that first shot trigger pull.

Not the right thing for a new shooter. I so totally disagree, in a polite fashion, having been through the Sig / Beretta / CZ DA/SA guns. A DA/SA gun is more of an experienced shooter's weapon.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member