Help with pistol selection.

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jeep45238

Re: Help with pistol selection.

Post by jeep45238 »

There is always a Sig DAK or HK LEM if decocker manipulation is the concern.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Never seen a left handed Glock..My Son is left handed and has carried a Glock for 18 years ...he's a police officer...Qualified Top Gun in his class....with a Glock..
Aaack, you said the "G" word. :D

Sure she could learn to shoot with her weak hand. But why force it? I want her to enjoy the experience and using her naturally strong hand will make that so much easier.
I am going to keep it simple for her, at least for the first gun, thinking a 'point-n-click' will be the option. I like my Sig P290, but controls are on the wrong side. I read that M&P has a slide release on both sides, and the mag release can be moved to the right side. Anyone have knowledge of the M&P? I have never handled one. Charter Arms Southpaw .38 revolver - thanks JM - I will check that one out if she opts for a wheel gun!
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Lots of choices with the M&P handgun line. Even a pair of .22 long rifle models. The full size and Compact come with three different size grip inserts. There is also the single column Shield model in 9mm and .40 S&W calibers.

I'll sum up by saying that they all seem to function and hold up well. Somebody else whose phone battery isn't low, please continue where I left off.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

techmike wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:Never seen a left handed Glock..My Son is left handed and has carried a Glock for 18 years ...he's a police officer...Qualified Top Gun in his class....with a Glock..
Aaack, you said the "G" word. :D

Sure she could learn to shoot with her weak hand. But why force it? I want her to enjoy the experience and using her naturally strong hand will make that so much easier.
I am going to keep it simple for her, at least for the first gun, thinking a 'point-n-click' will be the option. I like my Sig P290, but controls are on the wrong side. I read that M&P has a slide release on both sides, and the mag release can be moved to the right side. Anyone have knowledge of the M&P? I have never handled one. Charter Arms Southpaw .38 revolver - thanks JM - I will check that one out if she opts for a wheel gun!

Sig P320 Compact 8)
And a 320sc grip module sized to her hands, for conceal carry .

A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

techmike wrote: Sure she could learn to shoot with her weak hand. But why force it? I want her to enjoy the experience and using her naturally strong hand will make that so much easier.
It is absolutely feasible to run a 'right hand' gun with a naturally dominant left hand. Ignore the slide release - sling shot it, takes that control out of the equation. Mag release gets pushed with the middle or index finger (gun shifts in hand, but face it they do for everybody when the button gets hit to some extent).

Look into Walthers and HK's that have the paddle mag release on the bottom of the trigger guard. I think you'll be quite pleased with them, and find that striker fired HK's or used hammer ones aren't that much worse on the budget than a M&P/Glock thing.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
painiac

Post by painiac »

With some newer designs, the controls can be moved to either side. I know that with the Gen4 Glocks, you can move the magazine release. Some other guns can have controls moved with aftermarket modifications, but this is expensive relative to the cost of the gun itself. Many newer designs also incorporate different sized backstraps and frontstraps to make the grip thinner or thicker.

The best (and only) way to select the right handgun is for her to handle them. The grip should have the right size and feel comfortable in her hand. When grasping it, the hand should naturally hold high on the grip, and all controls should be easy to reach and manipulate without straining or fumbling with the other hand. The important controls are the magazine release and (if present) the safety; as mentioned, having the slide release reachable by one's dominant side isn't essential. Particularly, the finger should be able to reach naturally onto the trigger. When moving the gun into a firing stance, it should feel like it points and aims well. Even if all that seems right, she may still find that the gun doesn't shoot well for her. This isn't something you'll find out until she becomes a good shooter, though.

There's no "best" gun, only which one is best for each person. The two important criteria are how it handles, and that it has a reputation for reliability. Cost should not be a consideration, since practically speaking most of the excellent carry guns range over only a couple hundred dollars difference in price.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

I've been carrying the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact over the last few months. It has ambidextrous safety/decocker and the mag release can be mounted to work from either the left or right side. It is a DA/SA with a pretty smooth trigger pull in DA and light in SA.I carry it with the safety off relying on the DA first round pull for safety.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

I'm a lefty and I haven't really worried about ambidextrous handguns. I actually prefer using my index finger for magazine release. The only thing I miss out on is the slide release lever, so have to rack the slide manually, which isn't too big of a deal. Too often, that slide release lever is a bi*** to operate anyway. I have shied away from manual safeties, and all but one of my semi-auto handguns have been DA/SA with a decocker. I don't typically operate the decocker until I'm done loading (ready to holster), or done shooting and just want to drop the hammer.

If your daughter can handle racking a slide, then her options are fairly open.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

The Sig P320 has ambi slide lock and I believe the mag release is reversable as well (don't quote me on that, I'll have to look again when I get home).
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

techguy85 wrote:The Sig P320 has ambi slide lock and I believe the mag release is reversable as well (don't quote me on that, I'll have to look again when I get home).
Ed MacMahon voice: "You are correct,Sir."

Plus with the different grip modules; it's easy to adapt for hand sizes.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and comments. She has decided on a Walther PK380. The minimal controls are truly ambidextrous, and she was very accurate with one at the range.

Mike

PS: But she wants the PINK one. :roll:
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Well, it WILL be easier to find in low light situations. 8)
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

She is a happy camper. She shoots much better than her older sister.