Thinking of selling my AR.

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CombatShotgunner

Re: Thinking of selling my AR.

Post by CombatShotgunner »

Thanks for all the responses. I love to hear viewpoints from other parties. The AR is a Bushmaster. There are many things I'm wrestling with. There are very few places available where you can shoot long distance. If I was going to shoot long distance I think a bolt action would be more accurate. I don't think I would be rapid firing at any good distance. Maybe for close quarters stuff. If I was going to use an AR for long distance I would want something of a higher quality. In the event of protection, if the foes were more than 200 yards away I want try to evade rather than engage. It's always better to live to fight another day than go looking for war. I would try to be a gray man at all times.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

sodbuster95 wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:
CombatShotgunner wrote:Very true. After watching the events in Dallas I think that it is a very bad idea to have an AR though. I don't think that it would practical in most situations.
I agree, what is it and how much do you want for it?
I find it very considerate that you are so selflessly willing to help out another forumite so he doesn't have to deal with this problem anymore. :wink:
I take pride in trying to help others out in their time of need.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

CombatShotgunner wrote:There are very few places available where you can shoot long distance.
I would counter that there are a LOT of shooting ranges in Ohio, many of which are longer than 100yds. I have at least 10 outdoor ranges within 10 Miles of my house. there are several 600 and a 1000 yd ranges within an hours drive. Shooting is a perishable skill, and all forms should be practiced regularly.

I've regretted selling most firearms I've gotten rid of, (aside from the three Taurus semi-auto lemons) so I try not to sell anything anymore.

To each their own.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

CombatShotgunner wrote:Pretty self explanatory. I'm thinking about leaving the 5.56/223 platform and going with a FiveseveN pistol instead. I like everything I've read and heard about it. I prefer a Shotgun when I want to use a long gun anyway plus I don't live close enough to a place to shoot long distance anyway. My mind is so scattered right now with everything going on that I lost my train of thought. Sorry.
Why a FiveseveN? It's such a weird gun.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
CombatShotgunner

It intrigues me. The caliber seems to zip at a good speed and its kinda unique to find one.
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

CombatShotgunner wrote:It intrigues me. The caliber seems to zip at a good speed and its kinda unique to find one.
That's fair. It intrigues me, too, and I would probably buy one if it wasn't so expensive.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
CombatShotgunner

Honestly I'm just bored of the AR platform. I like shotguns more than anything. I also want to get more revolvers.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

CombatShotgunner wrote: I also want to get more revolvers.
Amen to that :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

CombatShotgunner wrote:...After watching the events in Dallas I think that it is a very bad idea to have an AR though...
I'm still curious about this comment you made.

Why is it a "bad idea"?
MyWifeSaidYes
CombatShotgunner

I think I worded it goofy. I've always had AR's since my days as a Marine. I always have had them for protection, and of the world kind of stuff. I always figured that if something happened I'd be armed and ready. As witnessed in Dallas they is not reality. I think having a weapon would be worse in that situation. Conceal would be the best route. Now having said that, can I have an AR in a soft case with loaded mags in a crowd? Might not stick out but I would blend in to take cover. Then I could deploy my weapon but then I have to worry about the bad guy, the cops and people who conceal thinking I'm the bad guy and shooting me. So then what do I have? Just rifles sitting in a safe. I'm the type that if it doesn't get used then it's gotta go.if I'm only gonna shoot two or three times per year it's not worth it, skills diminish and I become a liability to myself. I'm not Rambo anymore.
I'm not gonna just go to a range and blow off 1000 rounds for {inappropriate language} and giggles. I'd rather have a bolt action rifle and go to Camp Perry for long range stuff. I wish there were more tactical classes available without having to fly out of town. There are some pistol courses, a carbine class and the rare shotgun class. I could divert these funds into a different pistol or improving my Glock with parts and pay for a course. That's how I see things.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

CombatShotgunner wrote:Then I could deploy my weapon but then I have to worry about the bad guy, the cops and people who conceal thinking I'm the bad guy and shooting me.
This needs to be a consideration regardless of the weapon you choose to employ: or even if you simply choose to stay (for whatever reason), rather than run.

Look at current articles in the training as well as LE world - it's full of various writings devoted to this very subject. Similarly, popular media has picked up on the "even good guys with guns will just make it worse" aspect of the theory, be it legal open-carry or concealed.

Can using a long-gun - be it yours or a downed LE or even terrorist's - make you potentially more of a target? Possibly. But the truth is that anyone with any kind of weapon in-hand who is not obviously LE (i.e. properly uniformed) will draw extra scrutiny, from everybody else.

It's simply a risk of being in the fight.

How much of a risk? While I definitely do not think you wrong in your thinking, there's also plenty of others who will espouse different points-of-view.
CombatShotgunner wrote:I wish there were more tactical classes available without having to fly out of town. There are some pistol courses, a carbine class and the rare shotgun class. I could divert these funds into a different pistol or improving my Glock with parts and pay for a course.
Where are you located? If you don't want to share exact location, it's OK. Just a general proximity to nearest metro area will do.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
CombatShotgunner

Very true. I found this article.PICK UP THE TERRORIST'S RIFLE -
OR CARRY ON WITH YOUR PISTOL?

The old saying, "A picture is worth 1000 words" was as true the day the old sage spoke it in the Chinese temple as it is today. So take a moment and look at all these images. They are a collection of Islamic Terrorists in the process of murdering innocents in futherance of their political, ideological and religious aims. We did not have readily available images of Mateen or Farooq, but if we did, they would look very much like these guys. What are they armed with?

Rifles.

And look at the last image. That belongs to the CT Operators who eliminated one of the terrorists in Paris. Look at the shield they are using. Do you the impacts on the Bataclan Shield? What made those and why were they deploying a shield of that nature?

The bad guys were armed with rifles.

Now, I would like you to set aside ideas about fairness, the American way of things, and the way things ought to be and look for a moment with me at reality...they way things really are, and the way people really are.

Lets look at the LE Perspective:

You are a SWAT operator running to locate an active shooter. You have heard shots and the information you got was a man yelling in Arabic and shooting at people with a rifle. All the briefings and training on these events has involved guys like this, and knowing what you know about rifles, you plan to take no chances. You turn the corner and see a man holding a rifle, pointed in on prostrate body.

Having worked LE in one of the busiest regions in the nation, and SWAT at that, I can predict with 95% certainty that the guy with the rifle is going to get shot, and very likely killed, by the police. Not a 100% guarantee, but an almost 100% under the situations described.

Not fair you say? Well, rain is also wet and fire is also hot. Feel free to complain about it, but that will not change the nature of rain, or fire.

Nor what a human being tasked with hunting down a rifle armed killer - with few other physical descriptors if any - that he has not yet set eyes on and who he knows is in the process of killing everyone. The description he gets on the fly will not be enough to not shoot the good guy that decides to pick up the bad guy's rifle. Even if it is a great description, what the SWAT operator will focus on is "RIFLE".

So lets consider the following -

First let us assume correctly that those reading this are always carrying a pistol, regardless of the sign saying they "should not". And likely, carrying for just such an event. As well, we are not the sort of people to "duck and cover" waiting for the police as history shows that the LE response may easily be delayed from various factors.

Sure there are mitigating factors such as you are unarmed, such as in an airport or some other place where it was physically impossible to "ignore the sign", and you managed to attack, neutralize and disarm the terrorist with your bare hands...or with a knife - and now you are either unarmed...or armed with his rifle. I get it, but understand that those facts will not be relayed to the responders and you run a very high risk of being misidentified.

Next, lets consider that it is not an impossible task to bring down one or more of these people with handgun work, if it is done correctly and the shooter has an adequate level of skill. (To the incessant critics that will say that the "average guy" doesn't have that capability, I ask them to come up with a better solution that does not involve hiding under a desk in tears...in short if your marksmanship sucks, put down the beer and remote and change that).

Once the terrorist is down, and has been shot in the face with at least a half magazine after he is down, unless there are mitigating circumstances dictating doing otherwise, I suggest leaving his rifle where it lays, lest you be confused for one of his compatriots.

Again, it looks like the modern, properly organized handgun is the ticket for modern unplanned counter terrorism.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I'm concerned that you are trying to make life a "one size fits all" affair, when it certainly is not.

The Dallas situation happened at a protest rally.

That is a unique situation where the carrying of long guns is FAR more of a 1st Amendment issue than a 2nd Amendment issue.

I don't think ANY open carrier out there is truly planning on carrying a long gun every time they leave the house.

Long guns make good vehicle guns. Handguns make good carry guns.

When I go to a rally at the statehouse, I carry a long gun.

When I go to Rally's for a cheeseburger, I leave the long gun in the car.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

CombatShotgunner wrote:...PICK UP THE TERRORIST'S RIFLE -
OR CARRY ON WITH YOUR PISTOL?...
Did you notice? The open carriers that have been taking flak?

They didn't even un-sling their OWN rifles.

They knew the police were ALREADY ON SCENE, so they left. (And still caught heck from the anti-gunners for doing that!)

DON'T put a gun in your hands around a cop unless that cop TOLD YOU to do so.
MyWifeSaidYes
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

CombatShotgunner wrote:Very true. I found this article.PICK UP THE TERRORIST'S RIFLE -
OR CARRY ON WITH YOUR PISTOL?
Keep digging. :) There are other great articles out there that will round-out that line of thought. Any weapon is going to draw added scrutiny, be it an AR, AK, shorty "pistol shotgun," a pistol, or even a knife.

But there's a lot more that goes into that calculus:

https://www.policeone.com/active-shoote ... ituations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're absolutely right, MWSY, the open-carriers are catching a lot of blow-back from the authorities for the Dallas incident. Certainly, one such individual has been singled out by the authorities apparently in mistaken-identity. But at the same time, it's worth noting that no open-carrier was a part of the casualty list. That said, I'd love to see the AAR as to whether open-carry actually hindered police response.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio