Savage Modell 11 Scout Rifle and Magazines

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Savage Modell 11 Scout Rifle and Magazines

Post by dl1911 »

Picked up a Savage Model 11 Scout Rifle at Berea this weekend. Sadly couldn't find any magazines there and have done some searching online. $90-$100 for a 10-rd magazine for it. YIKES! While searching I've found mixed comments on the use of magazines for Ruger's scout rifles with it. Some claim it has worked for them (ACIS compatible) while others say it won't. Even Brownell's has differing answers.

So here's the question. Has anyone tried using Ruger's magazines for their Scout rifles with a Savage model 11 Scout rifle?
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
curmudgeon3

Re: Savage Modell 11 Scout Rifle and Magazines

Post by curmudgeon3 »

dl1911 wrote:Picked up a Savage Model 11 Scout Rifle at Berea this weekend. Sadly couldn't find any magazines there and have done some searching online. $90-$100 for a 10-rd magazine for it. YIKES! While searching I've found mixed comments on the use of magazines for Ruger's scout rifles with it. Some claim it has worked for them (ACIS compatible) while others say it won't. Even Brownell's has differing answers.

So here's the question. Has anyone tried using Ruger's magazines for their Scout rifles with a Savage model 11 Scout rifle?
I have a Ruger (.223) Scout rifle w/mags, never tried 'em with a Savage though. I'm in Solon if you want to try 'em.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

Thanks for the offer but the Savage is in 308 so definitely wouldn't fit.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I've purchased a number of the Magpul 762 AC mags for use in my Remington 700 that I converted to use AICS mags. The magpul mags work perfectly well. When I looked at the ruger scout rifle the magazines also appear to be AICS pattern and interchangeable. The only issues I've heard of using the ruger mags in other rifles is their polymer mags wouldn't fit well in some tight magwells. I have not heard of that issue with the Magpul mags.

Since you are in Cleveland. Atwells Police and Fire in Painesville has the Magpul 762 AC magazines in stock, Chuck was nice enough to order some into the store on my request. I'm sure if you asked, Chuck would let you try one for fit in your rifle. You would need some dummy rounds to actually test feeding though.

I think the 10 rounder Magpul 762 AC mags are around $42.00 in his store. the 5 rounds mags are a little less maybe around $38.00 ?? don't recall exactly. You may be able to find them cheaper online, but you can take it home the same day from Atwells. Tuesdays are their late store hours, they don't run normal retails hours most days of the week.

Address: 207 Chestnut St, Painesville, OH 44077
Hours:
Monday 9AM–5PM
Tuesday 9AM–8PM
Wednesday 9AM–5PM
Thursday 9AM–5PM
Friday 9AM–5PM
Saturday 10AM–2PM
Sunday Closed
Phone: (440) 354-5593

Hope that helps.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

pm sent