Alien Gear Holster Question

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Terranova1340

Alien Gear Holster Question

Post by Terranova1340 »

Not sure if anyone here will have any insight on this or not.

I am familiar with alien gear holsters as I have a couple of them. What I am looking for though is which shell to buy for an Rock Island CS tactical (no rail) I asked alien gear and they told me to buy the holster that they sell for the Kahr CW 45. The Kahr doesn't seem similar enough to a 1911 to make that choice make sense to me. However I thought maybe someone here might have a Kahr cw 45 and an officer sized 1911 and could weigh in if that made sense.

Thanks in advance,
Brian D.

Re: Alien Gear Holster Question

Post by Brian D. »

The kydex/leather hybrid holsters, like ones totally leather based, do give a bit of interchangeability between guns. I have used a couple different leather holsters made for the 1911 with a Kahr P or CW series .45 acp. A CW-9 wiggled around just enough to make me abandon that idea and shop up something specific to the Kahr 9mm/.40 frames.

So, it's likely Alien Gear is steering you right. But gee, don't they offer 1911 rigs and shells to begin with?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Terranova1340

Post by Terranova1340 »

Brian D. wrote:The kydex/leather hybrid holsters, like ones totally leather based, do give a bit of interchangeability between guns. I have used a couple different leather holsters made for the 1911 with a Kahr P or CW series .45 acp. A CW-9 wiggled around just enough to make me abandon that idea and shop up something specific to the Kahr 9mm/.40 frames.

So, it's likely Alien Gear is steering you right. But gee, don't they offer 1911 rigs and shells to begin with?
They do offer 1911 shells.. the issue I see is they don't offer a 1911 shell for a 3.6 inch or 3.5 inch non railed gun. The Rock Island 1911 cs that i have is the 51429 model number

Spec wise its a
3.62 inch barrel
7.125 overall length
5.125 inch tall

What Alien Gear is selling shell wise with out a rail are
3 inch with and without crimson trace laser grips
4 inch with and without crimson trace laser grips
4.25 inch with and without crimson trace laser grips
5 inch with and without crimson trace laser grips

My thought is that the 4 inch model would probably work, which is what I asked alien gear but they directed me to the Kahr CW 45. I suppose I could always just order both shells the one they recommended and the 4 inch 1911 and just keep the one that works the best. I just hate paying to ship things back places if I can avoid it.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'd go with the 4" 1911 shell then. Better to have a little deeper holster than one that lets the muzzle end, including the front sight, protrude. That can cause a draw snag, and is sometimes very uncomfortable . Of course if you get the shell for the Kahr .45 acp series guns, it would give you a perfect excuse to buy one of those handguns at a later date. :wink: Street price on the CW guns has dropped maybe $80 in the last year or so.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.