LCP Trigger upgrade

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

LCP Trigger upgrade

Post by Gramps »

I have heard that the LCP's trigger can be upgraded to a somewhat lighter and smoother pull.

Any thoughts? Is it worth the cost? Are there different upgrades available and which are the best value?

I like the LCP for pocket carry. It groups fine at the range (back yard) slow fire but I think a smoother/lighter pull could improve rapid fire accuracy.

Thanks!

Gramps
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
Brian D.

Re: LCP Trigger upgrade

Post by Brian D. »

A friend has gone through a few LCPs since Ruger brought them out. I've had, along with others in our shooting group, a bit of trigger time with the various iterations as our pal has traded and upgraded. Our results were mixed; couple of us felt the improved version was worthwhile, the rest not so much. And that was with a shot timer doing a drill or two on IDPA targets at speed. Without the "measuring sticks" of clock and scoring rings, it would have been left to total guesswork.

Whenever possible with these one gun vs. another decisions, use a timer and targets that have scoring rings.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Gramps wrote:I have heard that the LCP's trigger can be upgraded to a somewhat lighter and smoother pull...

...It groups fine at the range (back yard) slow fire but I think a smoother/lighter pull could improve rapid fire accuracy...
I don't know of any upgrades to make the trigger "smoother" or "lighter", but a Sweet Pea from RTK Triggers will make it "better". There are a couple other items that are working well for me. Here's what I wrote up earlier this year:

1. Get a Hogue grip for it.

I don't have very large hands and the gun still feels too small when I hold it. The Hogue wraps around the entire grip, making it feel better to hold without adding any significant width.

http://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger/lcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. Get an RTK Trigger for it.

The stock trigger requires you to pull the trigger to the very back of the trigger guard to fire. This is a very long and uncomfortable pull. It also leads to some trigger bite. The crappy stock trigger made me want to sell my LCP. Then I heard about and decided to try the RTK Trigger, called the Sweet Pea for the LCP.

A WORLD of difference! AND it is adjustable for take-up and over-travel (have some blue Loctite handy)

Note: Don't be fooled by the Ruger LCP Custom that comes with a red anodized aluminum trigger. It is the same as the stock trigger.

http://www.rtktriggers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. Get a heavier recoil spring for it.

If you don't already know, the lightweight LCP is 'snappy'. That can be tamed with a heavier recoil spring. The stock spring is 9 pounds and can be replaced with an 11, 12 or 13 pound spring. I'm using the 13# spring. It does increase the effort required to rack the slide, but I hardly notice.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/341517 ... -ruger-lcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

I have a Hogue grip and like the feel better.

Thanks for the input with the "Sweet pea" trigger upgrade. I am ordering one soon. Seems fairly easy to install.

The recoil springs are another story. Only the 13# is available now. 11# is on back order and the 12# is unavailable and not on back order.
Think 13# spring would be ok?

Thanks MWSY :)

Gramps
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Gramps wrote:I have a Hogue grip and like the feel better.

Thanks for the input with the "Sweet pea" trigger upgrade. I am ordering one soon. Seems fairly easy to install.

The recoil springs are another story. Only the 13# is available now. 11# is on back order and the 12# is unavailable and not on back order.
Think 13# spring would be ok?

Thanks MWSY :)

Gramps
I have the 13# spring. It makes the slide a bit harder to rack, but it cuts down on muzzle flip and it hasn't affected feeding or extraction at all.
MyWifeSaidYes
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

I have strong hands for racking. Comes from a ton of hard work for decades!

Thanks!

Gramps
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Gramps wrote:I have heard that the LCP's trigger can be upgraded to a somewhat lighter and smoother pull...

...It groups fine at the range (back yard) slow fire but I think a smoother/lighter pull could improve rapid fire accuracy...
I don't know of any upgrades to make the trigger "smoother" or "lighter", but a Sweet Pea from RTK Triggers will make it "better". There are a couple other items that are working well for me. Here's what I wrote up earlier this year:

1. Get a Hogue grip for it.

I don't have very large hands and the gun still feels too small when I hold it. The Hogue wraps around the entire grip, making it feel better to hold without adding any significant width.

http://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger/lcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. Get an RTK Trigger for it.

The stock trigger requires you to pull the trigger to the very back of the trigger guard to fire. This is a very long and uncomfortable pull. It also leads to some trigger bite. The crappy stock trigger made me want to sell my LCP. Then I heard about and decided to try the RTK Trigger, called the Sweet Pea for the LCP.

A WORLD of difference! AND it is adjustable for take-up and over-travel (have some blue Loctite handy)

Note: Don't be fooled by the Ruger LCP Custom that comes with a red anodized aluminum trigger. It is the same as the stock trigger.

http://www.rtktriggers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. Get a heavier recoil spring for it.

If you don't already know, the lightweight LCP is 'snappy'. That can be tamed with a heavier recoil spring. The stock spring is 9 pounds and can be replaced with an 11, 12 or 13 pound spring. I'm using the 13# spring. It does increase the effort required to rack the slide, but I hardly notice.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/341517 ... -ruger-lcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ordered my Sweat Pea and 13 Lb spring yesterday!

Thanks for the heads up!
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

http://gallowayprecision.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says to install trigger upgrade
The LCP has two pins to remove.

Didn't say which 2 and of course I got in a rush and real unlucky;

http://rugerpistolforums.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says (I read on another site after I did a bad thing)
Caution the hammer block which stays inside the grip and is NEVER TAKEN APART.

Spring and metal stuff snapping and rattling out of the grip and not a clue how they fit in or how to get the little rascals there......

Anyway, after a couple of hrs experimenting with different tools and placement and at times looking on the floor for dropped parts it now has an RTK trigger and a 13 pound spring...

The outcome was well worth the $$ and aggravation! I put a box of shells through it today and both upgrades made a very positive change to the LCP.
Adjustment was simple and quick.

Oh yea! The trigger is real easy install if you don't take out the hammer block!

Thanks!

Gramps
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *