New Gun Back to Ruger

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Dynasty

New Gun Back to Ruger

Post by Dynasty »

Hello,

I purchased a new Ruger GP100 and noticed a rough finish on various areas of the revolver. I contacted Ruger about this and they determined there is an issue and want me to send the revolver back to them.

How do I go about returning the firearm to them? I assume I would have to use a FFL to send/receive?

There are covering shipping via pre-paid labels.

This is the first time I am dealing with such a matter.

Thank you.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: New Gun Back to Ruger

Post by JustaShooter »

You do not need to use an FFL to ship a firearm back to the manufacturer for service. The prepaid labels will be for a particular carrier (often FedEx), you will just need to pack it up (Ruger can tell you if they want you to use the original packaging or not), take it to the depot (it has to be a manned depot, not a drop box), and when you give it to the agent, declare that it contains a firearm. That should be it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Dynasty

Post by Dynasty »

JustaShooter wrote:You do not need to use an FFL to ship a firearm back to the manufacturer for service. The prepaid labels will be for a particular carrier (often FedEx), you will just need to pack it up (Ruger can tell you if they want you to use the original packaging or not), take it to the depot (it has to be a manned depot, not a drop box), and when you give it to the agent, declare that it contains a firearm. That should be it.
Great, thanks for your help.

When the firearm is returned back to me, will it be delivered like a normal package or is a signature required?
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Signature will be required. Posibly they will need ID as well. I believe when I had my Remington 1911 returned for service, the UPS man required to see my ID/same name.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Jumping in....

Some FedEx locations won't take a firearm.... (Or at least wouldn't back a few years ago.)

In my case, I printed up a waybill, and headed over to the Kinko's. At that time, FedEx had a piece of the action (I think they've completely taken over by now), and the clerk refused. She instead gave me a map and instructions to take the package to their "terminal" on the other side of town.

I considered removing the waybill and just using a much closer UPS terminal. I believed that they would take it. I think they're still taking packages, but I'm not sure. I don't think they want you to carry in their terminal.

I decided that I wanted to make a stop over where the FedEx terminal is located anyway, so I just headed over there. They accepted the package. I asked a supervisor to check their book, and it matched the website in indicating that the terminal and the Kinko's would accept firearms.

In short, check the carrier's web site, and maybe call the carrier location you're going to use. You can't ship a loaded handgun, of course, and you can only ship it to a repair center. They can return the gun to any location you request, but will need an adult signature.

The last time I had a return situation, I used a local gun store both ways. I'm not 100% about the "adult" part there, but that's another story :D.... This particular store is open roughly 1000 to 2100 Monday through Saturday. So if the thing comes back on Saturday, I still might be able to go pick it up, rather than waiting until Monday, and no problems with me being out of the house when the carrier shows up. I think it cost me $40, including the shipping costs for the dealer. They can ship a handgun via something other (and cheaper) than the UPS or FedEx "super instant and hilariously expensive" requirements.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Sort of a dumb question...but I'd like to see photos of the "rough finish". Hard to believe that anything noticeably bad would pass by the QC inspector, or the distributor, or the dealer who sold it to you. IMO all current production guns are a bit rough in the fit and finish department.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Dynasty

Post by Dynasty »

glocksmith wrote:Sort of a dumb question...but I'd like to see photos of the "rough finish". Hard to believe that anything noticeably bad would pass by the QC inspector, or the distributor, or the dealer who sold it to you. IMO all current production guns are a bit rough in the fit and finish department.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

That was new?

Did you buy it online?
MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Nothing wrong with that, they just used it for a soccer ball during lunch one day in the gravel parking lot.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

That just isn't right. I wonder how that passed any QC at all. I shipped a KelTec back to the factory once, had to use UPS, and only the terminal in Maumee could legally accept firearms. The individual UPS stores in/around Toledo do not have a FFL, and so cannot accept firearms. Or so I was told by a UPS manager. Sent a Walther back once, but it shipped through Gander Mtn back when they had customer service.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

techmike wrote:I shipped a KelTec back to the factory once, had to use UPS, and only the terminal in Maumee could legally accept firearms. The individual UPS stores in/around Toledo do not have a FFL, and so cannot accept firearms. Or so I was told by a UPS manager.
He was wrong. It just has to be a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities), UPS Stores and similar 3rd party locations don't count.

Here are their rules, in case someone runs into this (having the URL and a printed copy when you go to ship one is a good idea).

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resou ... earms.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

UPS, FedEx, etc. have been "getting mixed up" about their firearms shipping policies as long as I can remember. Company is only as smart as its most ignorant/willfully ignorant employee. Damn shame one must print out and carry sets of those rules in order to do business with them. But, it's not much different than keeping a copy of gun-relevant ORC sections in my car's sun visor.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I find it handy to have a UPS Customer Center / Depot nearby, I can easily ship a firearm from there.

when the UPS email notification comes about the delivery returning from the manufacturer, I can alter delivery to have UPS hold the firearm at the Depot so I can pick it up on my way home, since a signature is required.

Beats having them try to deliver it to the house for several days.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Dynasty

Post by Dynasty »

UPDATE

I received the revolver back from Ruger on 8/1. All of the issues were corrected and the gun looks like it should've out of the box (flawless). The process was smooth from the communication, shipping, and work performed. They even sent a Ruger hat and shirt.

BIG thumbs up to Ruger's customer service.
lar1

Post by lar1 »

glad to hear all ended well.