long term weapon storage question?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wardog
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

long term weapon storage question?

Post by wardog »

If the need would arise to put weapons in long term storage, what types of containers are out there on the market?

Storage probably underground, would need containers that are sealed, waterproof, mold and mildew proof.

Ideas, thoughts?

Thank you for any advice.
USMC MSGT Ret.
NRA
OFCC
BFA

What we need in Washington, DC is more Americans, less Republicans and Democrats.

"The 1911 was the design given by God, to us, through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911, and is true today." --Col. Robert J. Coates, USMC
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: long term weapon storage question?

Post by Gramps »

We have a seal a meal and use it to stuff long term, mostly food.

We get 50' rolls of the bag material, it is fairly thick and the opening is 10". We cut it to length.

I think I could put any long gun or pistol we have in an air tight/water tight bag if I wanted to for cheap and they are resealable... :)

BTW Thanks for your service!

Gramps
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
revred

Post by revred »

I would think that a suitably sized piece of PVC pipe, with threaded end caps, would be a cheap solution. Maybe throw in a desiccant pack or two, as well.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free, because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything that I do." Professor Bernardo de La Paz in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world."
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

revred wrote:I would think that a suitably sized piece of PVC pipe, with threaded end caps, would be a cheap solution. Maybe throw in a desiccant pack or two, as well.
That's what I was going to say. A long time ago - late 80's early 90's - I suffered from gun confiscation paranoia and I bought a "burial vault" from NIC Inc. Law Enforcement Supply. It's a huge PVC pipe about 5-1/2 feet tall, 8 inches in diameter, has end caps and weighs about 20 pounds. I never got the chance to use it, but I still have it on hand if the need ever arises.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Gramps wrote:We have a seal a meal and use it to stuff long term, mostly food.

We get 50' rolls of the bag material, it is fairly thick and the opening is 10". We cut it to length.

I think I could put any long gun or pistol we have in an air tight/water tight bag if I wanted to for cheap and they are resealable... :)

BTW Thanks for your service!

Gramps
That and cosmoline is basically what the Army does to store firearms long term. Seems to work (although the stuff is a royal pain to clean off).
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

What's the current source or replacement or equivalent for cosmoline?
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Here you go...
http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/mil-spec ... c-class-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:
rimfireOH wrote:What's the current source or replacement or equivalent for cosmoline?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I must admit that I've always loved the smell of cosmoline. :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

glocksmith wrote:I must admit that I've always loved the smell of cosmoline. :mrgreen:
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. "Apocalypse now"

Gramps
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

glocksmith wrote:I must admit that I've always loved the smell of cosmoline. :mrgreen:
Many moons ago, I was assigned as the unit armorer for my Army MP company when they fielded the "new" M-4. We took in about 125 of them. All dipped in cosmoline and sealed in plastic. The smell didn't go away for months.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
wardog
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by wardog »

Everyone Thank You for the ideas. I do like the pvc idea. going to buy the cosmoline and pipe. gotta be prepared for the worst.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY to everyone.
USMC MSGT Ret.
NRA
OFCC
BFA

What we need in Washington, DC is more Americans, less Republicans and Democrats.

"The 1911 was the design given by God, to us, through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911, and is true today." --Col. Robert J. Coates, USMC