Inexpensive AR Optics

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Scorpion

Inexpensive AR Optics

Post by Scorpion »

I am fairly new to the AR platform but completely new to optics. I am looking good to replace my rear carry handle sight with optics of some sort, but I want to start out with inexpensive optics until I figure out what I really want.

I see many red dot and low powered scopes on Amazon in the $50 ballpark (give or take) that seem to have very good reviews. Not sure if I want the ability to zoom more or journey a red dot for quicker target acquisition. I also have a fixed front sight that may come into play if the optic can co-witness with that.

Looking for some recommendations on entry level optics I can play with that are inexpensive but not junk until I can afford to move into higher end optics. Also something still usable if batteries die.
ArmedAviator

Re: Inexpensive AR Optics

Post by ArmedAviator »

NCStar optics are cheap, but don't expect them to last too long. They are made for .22 rimfire or BB guns, as are all of the cheap stuff.

When I first got my AR, I thought it'd be cool to have an NCStar that mimicked an ACOG with 3-9x zoom. Nope. Nixed that in 9 months - was too heavy, and also not quite what I wanted. I went to a cheapo $40 red dot from the local sporting good store, and that felt better for the purpose of the rifle, and was light. I finally got an EOTech and liked that until this past winter when the reticle started disappearing and I lucked out as they were voluntarily refunding full purchase price for their optics due to a military lawsuit. I now have an Aimpoint PRO and love the thing. Rock solid, long battery life, easy to use. Easily shoot accurately out to 250 yards. Maybe further if I take my time and wear glasses instead of contacts.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
revred

Post by revred »

Take a look at some of the Primary Arms optics. They seem to be very solid and won't break the bank.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free, because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything that I do." Professor Bernardo de La Paz in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world."
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

This is heresy but...I shot Rifleman at an Appleseed shoot with a Wal-Mart scope on my 24" AR-15. :P

That said, the boys over at arfcom seem to be fascinated with the Vortex line of optics these days for a low-cost but good quality sight. :idea:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

The Bushnell TRS-25 is honestly as "low" as I would want to go, if I were purchasing for myself or a loved one, or giving a face-to-face handshake recommendation to a friend.

It's a lot of bang for the buck.

That said, if I can get them to in any way cough up more money, the Holosun Micro series and their resale-branded items (such as those from Primary Arms) would be my ultimate recommendation. After seeing a good friend's Primary Arms Advanced Micro for the first time - eyes-on - my buddy LegoGlock bought one for his AK, and I followed-suit not much later with one for my daughter's 15-22.

Now, this is from three guys whose defensive ARs all wear Aimpoints. 8)

While shopping for my daughter's 15-22, I also came across the Vortex SPARC-AR. 2 MOA dot, with a mult-height base allowing for either lower-1/3 or absolute co-witness with the AR platform, AAA battery and an integral cover in the vein of the TD iO. All for around $200. :D
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I'll second the Bushnell TRS-25 High rise version, which comes with risers so you can setup the Co-witness on your AR. that's about as budget as I would go for an AR red dot as well.

I've got a Vortex Sparc which served me well as a basic red dot for around $200.00 mine included a screw on 2x magnifier (which I have never used. ) Interesting my Sparc uses a CR2354 Battery rather than a AAA like the one TSiRWX has...

I just upgraded to a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 ($329.00) along with the Vortex cantilever mount ($89.00) The Illuminated circle reticle gives you quick target acquisition up close, and the BDC reticle allows you to quickly get on target from close up to 600 yds.

I have a friend who likes the SWFA optics , he has both a 1-4 and a 1-6 SWFA scope. when I talked to him yesterday i told him I'd like to do a head to head comparison of the vortex vs the SWFA optics. He's game so we'll be doing that soon.

No experience with Primary arms, but I consistently hear good things about those as well.

If you are going all out, and when I say all out, I mean cost is no object. the popular optic I see in 3-gun is the Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 but that on is a bit on the expensive side to say the least. Talk about some beautiful, glass, and by that I mean it's so optically clear and pure it's absolutely amazing. some day...

Optics you might wish to avoid, or things you might want to look at when considering a budget optic. when I was searching for my first AR red dot, I looked at one of the Sightmark Red dots, because it was on sale at a great price at the LGS. It looked sort of like an Eotech I checked what battery it used and it was some oddball battery that wasn't readily available locally, was expensive compared to batteries used by similar red dot sights, and the projected run time of the sight with the battery would have had me replacing it for pretty much every other range trip.. I can't really tell you anything else about the sightmark but that realization was a huge turnoff for me and drove me to bite the bullet and just buy the vortex sparc. So look at things like the battery size, type, cost, and projected run time when looking at those cheap sights. The money I would have wasted in batteries offset the cost of just buying the good optic to begin with.

As a mentor once told me "Buy once, Cry Once." In other words find the right optic you can manage within your budget, spend the money to get it, cry over the price once. That saves you from buying some cheap POS the first time or two around then ultimately spending the money on the good optic you should have bought in the first place. Now you are out all the money you wasted on the cheap junk in addition to the cost of the good optic.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
502ci
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 502ci »

I will third the Bushnell TRS-25...I have the high rise also.
Nothing to see here...move along.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Thank you all for the info. I definitely want to balance the price vs quality but since I'm not even sure the setup I want yet, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on one type only to realize that isn't the direction I want to go.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Since you are in Cleveland If you are willing to drive a little I'd be more than happy to let you go hands on with the Vortex Sparc red dot, and the Strike Eagle 1-6 Scope. I think hands on is a great way to start the decision process for what you want. that may at least point you in the direction of Scope or red dot.

Outdoor 100 Yd range ready and waiting near Geneva OH - 50 Mi east of Downtown Cleveland.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Also, for those in the Cleveland-metro area, Fin Feather Fur in Middleburg Heights has a good selection of optics, and their sales staff is usually more than willing to, off-peak hours, mount it up for you to take a look. :)
Bruenor wrote: I've got a Vortex Sparc which served me well as a basic red dot for around $200.00 mine included a screw on 2x magnifier (which I have never used. ) Interesting my Sparc uses a CR2354 Battery rather than a AAA like the one TSiRWX has...
^ I didn't buy it, just saw it in the store. :)

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/sparc_ar_red_dot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Until I saw it, I'd not heard/read of it, either. :oops: I'd thought up until that time that the SPARC line all used the CR2xxx batteries.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

502ci wrote:I will third the Bushnell TRS-25...I have the high rise also.
I know someone who got a TRS-25 off of ebay for only $15 more than the similar NC star stuff. It's been holding zero on his 7.62 X 39 cal rifle just fine, so I would imagine 5.56 in an AR wouldn't be a problem either.

I also know someone who put an extremely cheap no brand name 3-9 power scope on a 5.56 AR, and I thought before we zeroed it that we wouldn't be able to zero it, that it would break or not hold zero. It's been on for a year now, and the owner is still getting 1 1/4 inch three shot groups at 100 yards (bench rest) with it, with the varmint loads. He doesn't however handle it roughly or drop it. My guess is if you were to put that scope on a heavier caliber rifle or accidentally drop it you might have issues.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

TruGlo

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/45527 ... base-matte" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has flip-up lens covers that aren't durable or attached very well, but the optic itself has been running fine on my AR pistol. (1000+ rounds).
MyWifeSaidYes
charleston

Post by charleston »

All the Vortex products are very good items for the price range. At first I was sceptical, but after using different red dots and scopes I was very pleased.
bamafan7

Post by bamafan7 »

Vortex Strikefire I/II
"We must all fear evil men. But, there is another kind of evil which we must fear most…and that is the indifference of good men."
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Wondering if The OP, Scorpion, has had the opportunity to look at some of the suggestions in this thread, or if they found some other optic that suits their needs. Curious where you ended up on this..
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson